Request to remove Accolades functionality

X

XBCoupeJota

Further to the thread on Karma and the Poll carried out in that thread I would like to request the Admin's to turn off applaud/smite functionality. I believe the Forum format has more than enough capabilities to provide praise to people who have contributed something useful to the forum, additionally the same is true for criticism or questioning of individual contributions.

Most people who have questioned this functionality since the beginning of November have questioned the anonymous nature of such voting and given the SMF software doesn't support recording and displaying who is providing the feedback or reason for the feedback the majority of voters have voted to remove the functionality.

The vote is in on the Poll and the results are as follows:

Do You Like the applaud / smite functionality?

YES = 4
NO = 17

Don't Care = 14

Given the don't care voters have no preference either way their vote can be discounted as they would be happy either to keep the applaud/smite functionality or remove it. That leaves those that have voiced a strong preference either way.

YES = 19.05%
NO = 80.95%

The forum participants have voiced there views now it is up to the Administrators to decide what action they wish to take if any.

Thanks Crispin

There is clearly some dickhead out there being a bit free with the negs- can't see why Clem or Haggis should have them for example- so I now say ditch 'em.

Cheers

Reggie (probably -5 by now :-\)

I didn't vote either way because I really don't care, but the way it is being treated I would now say get rid of it as it really is meaningless.

As far as one bad apple ruining things, remember only those with more than 30(?) posts can actually use this function, so it is not some mysterious person. There's probably less than 20 members who can actually rate you. ;)

The more posts you have, regardless of quality, the more power >:D

Cheers

I don't care either way,I just wanted to see how many gold stars I have ,if no one had mentioned either of these things I  would not have even noticed them there.I just did a quick scan,man these are hysterical,looks like Tims the man.

I really hope you girls don't take yourselves to seriously. Like many I don't really care about the accolades but I find the whole subject matter irresponsible and am diggin' my heels in. I am working on a way to find the people who have given the positive and negative comment and when I get it I'll see how many want that published. In the meantime I was able to remove all bad karma from my own name and therefore can add LARGE amounts of KARMA to all users so in effect it can be controlled but I would hope that when it is used it can be done with knowing the fact I can see you...TIM ;)

Hi all

Bill and I have been discussing this "behnd the scenes" for some time, as well as with others.

Behind the scenes opinions range from the one extreme of essentially turning off all features and just giving everyone a bare text box to type bare text in, to the other extreme of  retaing all features in full with the expectation of responsible use, and moderating that responsible use.

My own opinion remains that moderation and responsible use is the way to go, and retain the features. If a small number abuse the features, well, there is a moderation function to address that very small number of abusers without penalizing the several hundred responsible users.......

I must confess my own patience is wearing very thin over some of these forum feature non issues. I don't want to wind up with a forum with only a featureless bare text box to work in, and all the features turned off, one by one, as a very small number of people abuse them for some weird form of entertainment. Laverda's, fun, camaradarie, technical info and help, ride reports, the enormous amount of work and resources in the WIKI, what the fuck has all that positive stuff that so many have worked so hard on got to do with some piddly little forum feature...... I want to see positive contributions, not negative. Rather than all the energy and time that has gone into carping about the Accoldaes feature, how about directing some of that time and energy into positive things like writing a WIKI article, helping someone out, doing something, anything, positive......

Paul LeClair

Bill I strongly object to being called a Gut,its not my fault,its genetic.BTW I am pretty sure most of this thread is tongue in check,it better be or I am seriously mistaken on the average maturity level here.

Hi Vince,
I think gut has something to do with the fact that "T" and "Y" live next to each other on the keyboard.  :D
Had to think twice on that one myself.
Interesting term though, we used to have a friend here in Brisbane called "Guts", though he died 2 years ago now.

Tchau
Red

Bill I strongly object to being called a Gut,its not my fault,its genetic.BTW I am pretty sure most of this thread is tongue in check,it better be or I am seriously mistaken on the average maturity level here.

I updated my spell checker so you see that the correct word is in place.

I am pretty sure most of this thread is tongue in check
Well people have held their tongues pretty well but I wouldn't say "checkmate" just yet :eek:

Spot on Paul, it must be getting to you though as you said fuck instead of f**k!!!
I was one of those not bothered voters, and generally don't contribute to these topics, though I have to read them as they can be entertaining!!! Personally I don't notice the accolades, they don't mean anything to me, got nothing to do with Laverdas or motorcycling in general. Have to admit I'm responsible for several of the boos awarded to the disenchanted one, with respect Tim!!! all in good fun.
I'd also like to add that LP has evolved into a fantastic forum, there is a really good sense of humor and comradely. I concider all you guts and girls my friends and you would all be welcome in my home [shed] should any of you find yourself in Western Australia at any time.
Rob.
Oh yeah, keep the avatars coming!!!

Hi Bill, Paul Red and All...

An awfull lot of "Water has gone under the Bridge" since this forum came as the replacement for Pauls MSN... The initail shock and wearyness has worn off. For me certainly ! This forum has a lot to offer. That much has become obvious...

I think the Breganze Technical Forum is BRILLIANT !! I'll bet you didn't expect me to say that one month ago did you.... I will never mess with it in anyway... I PROMISE YOU ALL !! All my post will try to remain on topic... I might add a "Emoticon" here and there....

My understanding of Massimos Cafe is there so well can have bit of LAUGH !! We are ALL ADULTS albeit slightly weird ones... Well look at our hobby... Old loud antisocial motorbikes.... Fantastic , aren't they !!

As for swearing...Well I honestly didn't expect so many Nuns and  Parish Priests to ride LAVERDAS....My use of swear words is meant to be like adding seasoning to food...It lifts or lowers an emphasise...I never direct my language at an individual or group....Unlike a couple of people here who E-mailed me directly... Enough of that though ...

This place is flourishing...I am delighted to see that..Superb....Some of my posts have been controversial..But I bet it leads readers onto other threads that they would not have bothered with....I have NEVER BEEN INTENDED TO OFFEND ANYONE...

As for APPLAUD /SMITE..... You have to take take as the transparent joke it so obviously is ! If you think that anyone should take it seriously... Then you need to sit a darkend room and mediatate ! Interesting number of responses such a trivial subject has had.... We just LOVE A CHAT don't we !!  The expression "You can't please ALL the people ALL the time". Springs to mind....It did make lot of people smile .... Just go through that thread and count the amount of Smiley Emoticons.....

You have to admit it....Some of this stuff leads to some VERY FUNNY POSTS !!

I have settled down now...I have given a great deal of thought to this particular response...And will give much thought to future posts....Just don't ask me to approaching a topic without humour...I might be the only one to find it amusing...But so what !!

We NEED TO GET ALONG TOGETHER and Smile its the only way to catch flies on your teeth without riding a Laverda :D :D :D

I keep on saying this "GUTS" (Quoting Bill) ....

Very Best Wishes to ALL.... Even Rufus and Bob  :D

Tim

Back