music in the shed

Gerald

It's near freezing point and slightly snowed in around the house, so I decided to start on a few chores that need to be done on the 3CL. The old radio is always on when I get out the tools, listening to a local station that plays a decent mix of old and not so new tunes. Tonight I was surprised when they played an old favorite that I hadn't heard in a loooong time. Annie Haslam (Renaissance) singing "Carpet of the sun" sure made my evening!

Regards,
Gerald

Yes, every now and then a few gems turn up on radio - not very often though!
I hear a few 80's tracks on BBC Radio 2 - brilliantly crap some of it, but great memories.

Frank Zappa! 'Catholic Girls' springs to mind.

The radio people must be a very conservative bunch, as they nearly always play the same tracks fom particular artists and never the more obscure or long tracks.
When was the last (or even the first) time that anything from Pink Floyd Ummagumma album was played on air? A bloody brilliant album (and a bit off the wall) but not 'commercial'. No wonder pirate radio took off.

Lav the impala said:
Wot, no Frank Zappa.

You totally beat me to it!! I had frank telling me I was an asshole only this afternoon..

We have these dweebs playing covers at the local every Friday night. They refuse to play any FZ, probably not good enough. They'll do SOTW which is about as radical as they get!

Not that song but one of my favourites:-

Gerald,

Yes, Annie can be devine, especially on 'Scheherazade and Other Stories'. I dug up my old Akai big reel tape deck while clearing the basement. Too big a machine in the house but fine in the workshop, after more than 20 years of not being used the machine still workls perfectly and all the tapes still sound magnificent. Who said tapes deteriorate?
It's a journey through the past for me, old recordings of LP's, live recordings from radio, Tull, Zappa, Manfred Mann's earth band, Roger Chapman, Dr Feelgood, Jan Akkerman, you name it and the Rockpallast nights.. Anyone remember Crawler with Geoff Whitehorn brilliantly replacing the late Kosoff?
So many things to do coming winter, with a jukebox full of surprises and old memories..

Marnix

I was lucky enough to catch Frank's son Dweezil 2 years ago in Oslo. He tours the world keeping his late dads music alive.
Their encore was I think Muffin Man and it ended with that video of Frank shirtless playing the solo on the big screen behind the stage with the band onstage backing him live. Some tricky sound splicing I guess. It brought the house down.
You are lucky to have space for a big tapedeck and speakers Marnix. I could barely fit an ipod and headphones in my wee workshop.
Radio stations that don't run high rotation are fantastic; many popular stations you could set your watch to their playlist.

Radio stations here are dire. There is one called M80. Originally I thought it was because they only played 80s music. Now I realise it is because they only own 80 records... Same claptrap every day!

I've just read Zappa's autobiography which is fascinating. Apart from the occasional flash of pop genius such as Dancing Fool I'm afraid that I've never got into his stuff, but he was undeniably a great musician. Mind you, from his comments in the book I think Zappa saw himself as a composer rather than a musician. He had a fairly low opinion of musicians!

Bob, Zappa is one or those "things" that grows on you. A bit like the wart virus ??? or Laverdas.
Who wrote the biography? I had one but lost it an a lend. Not aware he wrote one himself.
Many people thought he was a comedian due to the lyrics that had caught their attention.
I am most taken by his instrumental work lately.
There was a fantastic doco on tv interviewing many people who had worked with him. A real eye opener.
These days I find it difficult to get into newer music being set in my ways. So these non-commercial radio stations are top for getting in touch with it. My kids are just heavy metal all the way, stuff that makes what I thought was heavy sound like kindergarten music.

Wow, this one took off :D

I'm with Marnix and his music selection (where's that thumbs up smiley??), and of course Rockpalast vids.
Never heard of crawler (except as a derogatory Glaswegian expression :p).

Lav the impala (you a Chevy guy?) thought I only listen to FZ? well I do a lot, but not only.
Overnite Sensation or Apostrophe albums are ideal while setting up a 180 degree engine.
Ruth Underwood or Jean Luc Ponty make it so pleasant to dial in a set of A11 cams or check valve clearance.
The thin white duke and his music up to the Scary Monsters album is another good choice IMHO.

Currently I'm listening to the FZ album "you are what you is" in the cage. Never really got the drift of songs in the past, but it grows on ya!

Ciao Amici
Gerald

Hi Tippie,
I think the Frank Zappa book was called The Real Frank Zappa and I'm fairly certain he wrote it, or perhaps he co wrote it? Presumably it'll be on the web somewhere unless I've imagined it. Perhaps its time for me to give Zappa another try...maybe somebody can recommend one of his more accessible works?

Bob have a look for Cheap Thrills, a nice compilation. Play loud through decent Hi Fi.
  Gerald, I think Crawler refers to Back street crawler, a Paul Kossof album.
  Keith.

Thanks Keith,
I'll give it a try, meanwhile I'm off into the garage to do a bit of work and shall mostly be listening to Echo and the Bunnymen followed a by a bit of XTC

Overnight Sensations  Dynamo hum would be appropriate  =I spent three long hours on the dynamo dynamo and she still aint cum from the dynamo dynamo from the dynamo hum :D

Lemon

Was listening to the cricket in the shed today as well, that was music to my ears :) Mr Cricket, how good are you, 195 hahahaha  :D

drikko said:
Was listening to the cricket in the shed today as well, that was music to my ears :) Mr Cricket, how good are you, 195 hahahaha  :D
Thought youde like that D but should have gone for 83. :'(

Shaun

Back