Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)

cbertozz said:
Apparently not. I tried one on and as it said in the review it is ?short? in the profile and my chin was contacting chin guard. So no go.

Tried Shoei on but just big ol? lump of plastic flapping on my head (when open) isn?t going to work for me even if it is homologated P/J.

Onwards...
After some research I recently bought a Shark ES. Homologated for both full face and jet and flips back right over like the Roof. They appears well built and do the job. It is important to look for version which suits you. Some earlier ones had a rep for being noisy and also had some issues with damage to the visor when flipped.
The ES did away with the pin lock feature which it was never designed for and incorporated an anti fog visor instead which apparently cured many ills. It is slightly heavier than my old helmet but I actually don't even notice.
I am not saying this helmet would suit you but I like it.
I actually did all my research on line during lock down (not near any shops that would have these anyway) and purchased sight unseen. Said to suit a rounder head whatever the hell that means. Measurements seem to indicate a decent fit and so it proved...............
The ability to ride with it in jet style with either internal tinted visor down or normal visor down and no wind sock above your head is a great feature. It probably also suits me a bit better because it is generally warmer up here and the design means there is more room around the jaw area which aids comfort and also has a wide vision area. (Some might prefer them a bit more cosier)
The ES version was also a bit cheaper with obviously the saving of scrapping the pin lock feature being more than the cost of the anti fog visor. I'm not concerned about admitting that I hadn't bought a helmet in some time and since the changing of the laws we now at least have a much wider selection which were never approved for Aus before. I bought a plain white one as plain white or plain black are cheaper!!
I think many shy away from helmets if they aren't dearer enough though!

Be aware that most flip up lids are designed for a more upright riding position than we Laverda riders are used to, especially anybody with clip-ons fitted. Vision when in a crouched position may be impaired along the upper edge of the visor. Suggest when you try one of the helmets on you assume your normal riding position, if nothing else it should give the shop attendants a bit of a giggle, just make sure you don't make any vroom vroom noises.

You are right about the upper part of the visor, this is the case for any helmet. I modify pinlock inserts by making small nicks to fit onto the pins so that the liner sits higher up the visor, otherwise the thick edge of the liner is right in my field of vision unless I crick my neck uncomfortably. They are made for more upright riding positions.

I did try a Shark like the one you describe, and it felt as good as Shoei but it was very big shell. I definitely want a helmet where the flippie but goes behind.

Interesting what you say about the shell size. I thought the Shark came in 3 shell sizes which usually means a bit better fit through the ranges?
Not many make the full flip over. The only other one I found available was an Airoh.
It actually looked really good from what I could see except I did see a video review of it and the chin bar did not look very well finished with the EPS not extending right around and appeared a bit flimsy. It was, however approved for use both P & J but from memory might have had some slight difference in approval category. (maybe some European standard?)
(They seem to change them all the time though and newer models are oft improved!)

cbertozz said:
I did try a Shark like the one you describe, and it felt as good as Shoei but it was very big shell. I definitely want a helmet where the flippie but goes behind.

The Shark ES2 does, and is lighter.

Paul

Shark looking like the best option currently and available locally so I can try one on, I think that's what I tried. Wasn't too heavy either. Might be worth a punt at half the cost of the Shoei.

In an attempt to be almost legal I have fitted a mirror to the bike. Damn expensive but fits great and looks good, let?s see if it vibrates to shit on the road. It?s a ?metal? mirror hence so thin.

IMG_0446.JPG

Sort of given up with modular helmet, don?t like any of them.

Love this green, will go very well with orange.

https://youtu.be/cbxAPmnboes

Mirrors,
I like this, classic style MZ 15 ?

Attachments

• D54DA6CD-5433-4746-87B1-C190DE22CEBB.jpeg
    D54DA6CD-5433-4746-87B1-C190DE22CEBB.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 117
Back