is it illegal to ride with a helmet that is over 10 year old

Have never had an issue/worry about using open face helmets: they encourage you to focus a little harder on what you're doing. Also happy to risk a little gravel rash on the chin rather than a broken neck...

I had a very nasty crash in 1973 that I have spoken about many times, the worlds first total loss 750SF1, it was six weeks old with 3500 miles clocked!  I was unconscious for six days and in hospital for six months and had many operations, on the day they took out my spleen, one kidney, a yard of intestine (temporary colostomy), my appendix plus multiple stitched wounds, three weeks later they told my father that my right arm had to come off, he replied that not before a second opinion had been obtained, he never obtained that, and I still have my (albeit gammy) right arm. the kidneys problems never went away and I had a transplant of two extra ones four years ago.

The main point is that I didn't have any (visible) head/face  injuries, the unconsciousness was inevitable and something of a deliberate ploy by medical staff as well, but when I saw my six week old full face helmet it made me feel sick, it was scarred and grazed all over, very heavily but the amazing thing is the visor was intact and holding not only all its fixing points but pivot points as well, the damage to the visor (only the visor) could be described thus, place helmet on a nine inch tree stump approx. two feet out of the ground, and then swing a felling axe with all your might, diagonally across it and collide, the visor held! but was heavily indented, it must have contacted my cheek and nose, we now think that was a track control rod under the front of the 26 tonne truck that had stalled in a country lane on an uphill (for it) section, I saw it, braked heavily and went down, 100% my fault, but as an aside trucks over seven feet wide are not permitted down that lane.

Full face for me and must be top of the shop, that one was an Everoak, second string at the time, I have since then worn Shoei Z100 (1986/7) then four AGV's and currently another Shoei.

CLEM

The last thing the Helicopter Doctor did after loading Chris up in Tasmania was have a good hard look at the damage to his helmet. It looked in places like a 9-inch angle grinder had been at it. It did its job very well, it took one hell of a knock and he survived with apparently no long term injuries. Although he keeps telling me to fuck off and that worries me though. My little jokes as I was asking him the usual concussion questions after he returned to consciousness and that was his standard reply.

One more vote for full-face every time! Never, ever open face!

I did a swan dive and headbutted the road big time with a full face helmet on (diesel patch).
I remember  the hard whack on the head, then I watched the road whizz by through the visor.

Helmet a write off,  face still as pretty as ever!!!!!

I had the pleasure of face planting when i 16 years old, the chin bar and visor wer almost destroyed. If I hadn?t been wearing a full face i wouldn?t have a face.

FFFANARCHY

I get the opinion that it is not just me that gets PTS seeing people wearing open face helmets. Mine comes from riding beside a mate who face planted, dived, into the road at about 100kmh. It is a bit like people refusing to wear seatbelts to me.

Attend many motorcycle accidents here in the Adelaide Hills; the paramedics always take the helmet (along with the casualty) with them when they leave the accident scene.
It seems that most, not all, who prefer an open face are choosing fashion over function.

Legs said:
It seems that most, not all, who prefer an open face are choosing fashion over function.

You've got it. And it's not just open face helmets and bandanas. Every time I see someone riding (often a sports bike) on a hot day wearing shorts, a singlet (often also the pillion on a hog, female, dressed for the beach), a pair of Nikes at best - I just say 'obviously you've never felt the effect of skin on bitumen matey'. But it can never happen to them ... 'cos I'm really careful'.

I do a lot of cycling and on descents can be going very fast, and anywhere up to 60kph on the flat. Unfortunately it's one risk I have to live with - until they design protective clothing that's light and breathes sufficiently to allow your body to cool when you're working at close to full physical effort. Just recovering from a spill in deep gravel at about 10kph ... deep grazes and three weeks of scabs in about 4 locations on the bod.

Piranha Brother 2 said:
You've got it. And it's not just open face helmets and bandanas. Every time I see someone riding (often a sports bike) on a hot day wearing shorts, a singlet (often also the pillion on a hog, female, dressed for the beach), a pair of Nikes at best - I just say 'obviously you've never felt the effect of skin on bitumen matey'. But it can never happen to them ... 'cos I'm really careful'.

Q, I am always blown away when I cross over into Arizona and see motorcycle riders of all types riding without a helmet(not required) although eye protection is, WTF. Maybe it is so your eyes can be harvested after your brains spill out.

No open face helmets (on the track) at American Historic Racing Motorcycle events, what does that tell you?

Here we are, preaching the use of full-face helmets, safety concerns, etc.  On the other hand, "nanny" states are scorned upon when they start infringing our "freedom"... I remeber the outcry when lids became mandatory in Oz, as well as seatbelts.  A lot earlier than most of Europe, btw.  Helmets became mandatory around 1978 in Germany, seatbelts 1983, both of which were mandatory in the state of Victoria when I left in 1973!  Now, we can't imagine NOT using these safety devices.  Hypocrisy??

As long as we have a choice, to each his/her own, imho.  Each individual should be aware of risks and should take full responsibility for his/her actions.  I do not approve of irresponsible individuals blaming others, or society, when they fall on their face.

I'm quite comfortable riding with a jet style helmet on my slower bikes, keeps me alert and defensive.  Full-face helmet on the quicker bikes is more for protection against the elements than anything else.  The additional facial protection is but a by-product, the same defensive attitude has kept me out of trouble for decades.  I don't think I've had less fun than others during this time, either!

I'm well aware that some moronic zombie in his cage can T-bone me at the next intersection, but that's a risk I take every time I step out my front door, actually.  Although a full-face lid may save some of our prettier parts, it won't make us immortal.  THAT is an attitude that often arises once all available protection gear is adorned, much the same as climbing into a mother-fucker sized SUV with all the bells and whistles.  Sure, the chances of surviving a major prang are greater, but still a long way from 100%.

Less aggresiveness, along with a generous helping of common-sense, is what keeps you alive, and prettier, for longer.

piet

Yes, motorcycling is dangerous as are a lot of outside sporting activities and each one strives to make it safer. Skiing is a case in point; when I took it up skiing in the early sixties only downhill racers wore helmets, then little kids took them up and now just about every skier wears one.
Don't think many people complain about doing up their seat belt these days ;).
Around here even Harley riders are starting to wear full-face lids :LOL:.

Horror case in point, Michael Schumacher. Skiing with his kids probably not too hard and even wearing a helmet.

Vince said:
Horror case in point, Michael Schumacher. Skiing with his kids probably not too hard and even wearing a helmet.
On which was attached a Go Pro now part of his skull

Back