73 SFC replica for sale

angonemoto

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Other-Makes-Laverda-SFC/184011422179?hash=item2ad7ef79e3%3Ag%3AbesAAOSw3nNdrRf6&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

Here's something for your upcoming Halloween Great Pumpkin ride. 73 SFC replica with 16k miles.
Why is it that the air duct on the front brake is tilted downward? It looks odd, doesn't it?

Looks like series 2 drum brakes so not 1973 which the clocks and bracket are. Air scoop has just not been timed up right before tightening the spindle.
Very nice bike.
Regards Andy

Horrible lash-up of a model that never was...    ::)

Replica?  At best, a wannabe.  Too many incorrect details to list, with lots of BS to lure the uninitiated.

piet

I am certainly not an SFC 750 expert, but I thought their frames were nickel plated?

Any road up! The long epistle of a description has to be worth a grand surely?

SimonR501 said:
I am certainly not an SFC 750 expert, but I thought their frames were nickel plated?

Any road up! The long epistle of a description has to be worth a grand surely?

Nearly all the frames were zinc plated.

Nickel is too flash. These are working bikes, not for poseurs or living room addicts.

:D

Paul

I was under the impression they were originally cadmium plated.  With time, the plating does discolour a bit, I'd expect zinc to become a lot darker.

piet

My definition of everything I never want in any of my Laverdas. Why bother? Really? If it was a std 1972 SF0 it would probably be ridden a lot more.

Dellortoman said:
Blimey! You blokes are a tough crowd. The bike looks OK to me, but what do I know about 750s?

Cam,

If you read the blurb, you might realise just how wrong this bike is.  If it were offered as a cafe'd SF, OK.  But it is offered as a SFC replica, no less.  And a 1973 model to boot!  Just ask Marnix or Steph how difficult it is to replicate that particular model.  Imo, a replica REPLICATES the original, as close as possible.  This only looks very vagely similar... to a 8 year-old maybe.

Then there's the "ridden once a month" BS.  With a loose chain adjuster?  Un-secured brake cable adjuster?  Fat chance.  Just a couple of points that hit me while looking through the pics, bound to be dozens more.

piet

I used to think Galing a frame would be great long-lasting protection but after getting my dirtbike box trailer hot dip galled it went from an easy one-hand lift and push to a full-blown backbreaker. It's insanely heavy now, but definitely no rust in the last 20 years it been in my back yard. Odd choices for a lightweight race bike.

helicopterjim said:
Zinc ...... cadmium is a goldish  colour

Well, yes and no.
Cadmium would seem to age quite nicely.

My SFC has received cadmium.
It did seem very latin pimp on the photos I got and can't find but on the later photos appears quite correct.

Paul

Attachments

• 1 (Petit).jpeg
    1 (Petit).jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 186
Vince said:
I used to think Galing a frame would be great long-lasting protection but after getting my dirtbike box trailer hot dip galled it went from an easy one-hand lift and push to a full-blown backbreaker. It's insanely heavy now, but definitely no rust in the last 20 years it been in my back yard. Odd choices for a lightweight race bike.

Vince,

Galvanising/electro-plating is a completely different process to hot dipping.  Galvanising uses electricity to deposit a microscopic thin layer of metal on something, hot dipping is essentially painting with molten metal.

Reckon the plating on the SFC frames would have been lighter than primer and paint.  Moot point though, considering what those frames weighed in the first place...

piet

sfcpiet said:
Vince,

Galvanising/electro-plating is a completely different process to hot dipping.  Galvanising uses electricity to deposit a microscopic thin layer of metal on something, hot dipping is essentially painting with molten metal.

Reckon the plating on the SFC frames would have been lighter than primer and paint.  Moot point though, considering what those frames weighed in the first place...

piet

Galvanization or galvanizing is the process of applying a protective zinc coating to steel or iron, to prevent rusting. The most common method is hot-dip galvanizing, in which the parts are submerged in a bath of molten zinc.

Electroplating is the process of plating one metal onto another by hydrolysis, most commonly for decorative purposes or to prevent corrosion of a metal. There are also specific types of electroplating such as zinc plating, copper plating, silver plating, and chromium plating

Back