jp pistons

JP Pistons as in the JP Pistons that are made in Australia ?
cast pistons, rough finish, weigh an absolute ton, those pieces of crap ?
are those the ones you are asking about ?

They are definitely not suitable for use in a Laverda, or any engine really.  Maybe a lawn mower... but even then... I bet if I pulled apart my Honda fire pump the piston is much nicer than those.

Why NOT JP Pistons are great as long as they deliver the Piston to your Specs = Expensive.
Might I suggest Manley or ROSS, perhaps Eldelbrock.

Most North American Based Pistons are based on the Forged TRW Design.

Personally from my experience ROSS and Edelbrock will accommodate you with a Guarantee with a reasonable price on pistons, but you have to prove you have that cylinder Bore Perfect among many other things including Head TEMP, Valve Design and Valve Geometry to prove your case in the event of Piston Failure.

They are Engineers and will Help You  but if you  make a mistake - It's your Cost.

Laverda SF said:
Why NOT JP Pistons are great as long as they deliver the Piston to your Specs = Expensive.

your not getting JE Pistons mixed up with JP Pistons are you Ron ?
JE are a top brand, JP are not

Ross Racing Pistons already have the specs for 500 twin, 750 twin, 1000 and 1200 triple pistons, you just need to know the job card number to quote to them

your not getting JE Pistons mixed up with JP Pistons are you Ron ?
Ah! Your right I did blunder there.

Crower and Edelbrock most likely cross reference ROSS and JE where as Manley make their own Pistons.

Wiseco is also a good piston company. Speed Pro (Old TRW) is excellent and Keith Black known for their Pneumatic Pistons.

ROSS Pistons and Deves Rings are probably the only MFGr's presently tooled up for our old Brganze Engines.

Laverda SF said:
ROSS Pistons and Deves Rings are probably the only MFGr's presently tooled up for our old Brganze Engines.

They are not, actually.

Asso(Italy) and Omega(UK) both make an excellent forged piston, Gordoni(Italy) make a horrible cast item similar in quality and wieght to JP.  GPM(Italy) make nice piston-shaped paperweights as well.  Pistal(Italy) make a top forged piston for the 750s only, supplied exclusively to Riccardo Oro.  Wahl in Germany will make any piston in excellent forged quality to your specs, but quite pricey, about double what a "mass-production" item would cost.  There are no doubt quite a few others in Europe that I am not aware of.

Reckon the GPM/JP/Gordoni pistons are ok if the bike is to become a static display, keeps the empty conrods from knocking around in the bores. ::)

Need to look OVER the fence, Ron.  Contrary to popular belief, the north american continent is not the centre of the universe I'm afraid... :D

piet

grazie mille Piet,
i came in from sitting out on me deck, having had a couple of cold beers & watching the sun go down.

just read yer reply,,  & now i'm rolling about LOLing !! 
choice.  " make nice piston-shaped paperweights "    :LOL:

cheers,  Mark

I used to sell JE pistons - Lance Weil and I liaised on them - supply was a bit iffy - but nice pistons - Lance had a few financial problems so I then decided to get Uk made ones. - regards - Phil

sfcpiet said:
Pistal(Italy) make a top forged piston for the 750s only, supplied exclusively to Riccardo Oro. 

Glad to hear the (as yet unused) pistons I sourced from Riccardo many years ago are of excellent quality - they are certainly heavier than the std Mondials, which worried me at the time. Prob is if I go to big bore I'll need to sell them!

Quentin,

Grant and I had a lengthy chat with the boss of Pistal at last years Intermot show in Cologne.  The new type have only been made recently on Riccardos' request, do check what you have.

The Pistal guy was very helpful and informative, provided a lot if insight to piston manufacture and manufacturers!  Helped narrow down the desirable possible sources. :D

piet

sfcpiet said:
Quentin,

Grant and I had a lengthy chat with the boss of Pistal at last years Intermot show in Cologne.  The new type have only been made recently on Riccardos' request, do check what you have.
Damn, Piet! So the 'new type' implies that the 'old type' were sub-par? Oh well, don't need them any time soon ... but I will have a squiz and see what I've got. My factory 80.0mm Asso SFC numbers are still sitting unused in my parts box about 40 years after I bought 'em! Have had a great run on the cast Mondials, even after bumping comp to 10.5/1 and taking a frac of the squish band to clear the head.
qf

Piranha Brother 2 said:
Damn, Piet! So the 'new type' implies that the 'old type' were sub-par? Oh well, don't need them any time soon ... but I will have a squiz and see what I've got. My factory 80.0mm Asso SFC numbers are still sitting unused in my parts box about 40 years after I bought 'em! Have had a great run on the cast Mondials, even after bumping comp to 10.5/1 and taking a frac of the squish band to clear the head.
qf

Not at all.  I was not aware that they were available from Pistal previously.  speaking to the guy implied they had taken up production of the 750 pistons only recently.  Pistal seems to be a fairly young company compared to the established well-known ones.

Got a pair of shiney 82mm Assos in the cupboard waiting on installation in my "hoon" engine. :D  Still un-decided on 360? or 270? configuration.  Scales definitely tipping towards 270? at the moment. :D

piet

Back