Parts to Laverda 750 SF

dysan

Hello,

Bought me a Laverda 750 SF 1972 model with drum brakes in the august.
I do not want to take anything full restauration of 750, but use it and run with it. Want to use it for a while and become familiar with the bike before I take to the restauration. The engine runs fine and should be overhauled for a 10-15 years ago. It is bad chrome and paint, but mostly works.

It's something that I need to fix in the winter before I can use it and need your help on questions I have.

- Have Borsch headlamp with lock and switch on top of it. This is in poor condition and want new headlamp. Want a standard headlamp and move switch and ignition lock to another place.
Is it 160mm headlamp and  have you any idea where I can buy chrome headlight at a favorable price.Need not be orginial and Laverda-Paradies are expensive in some parts.

- Want chrome flasher to it and again you have any idea where I can buy new chrome flasher for front and rear.

- Purchased used ND tachometer and spedometer. Have today Smith is not working and will need new parties to ND. Must order parts at Laverda-Paradies, but he has two type of cable lengths Speedometer cable ND 75 cm and 83cm. Which of these should I use?

Hope you can help me.

There are other parts suppliers dysan and they are usually cheaper, Wolfgang for instance.

Let me know if you don t want your old headlamp at some point.

LJ

Hello,

Thanks for the tip about Wolfgang and shall send email to him to get prices on the parts I need.
When it comes to my old headlamp I am unsure if I should keep it. Is good to have it for future show I want to build it back original.

Here is a picture of 750.
1-5.jpg

This is my first old bike and are not completely familiar with everything.

What is this and how does it work? Probably stupid question, but once I must learn this ;)

DSC07937-Copy.jpg

That is a friction steering damper. Allows to "brake" steering mouvement more or less according to how much you screw or unscrew it.
Same principle as a hydraulic steering damper on a modern machine.
Comparison is the same as with friction suspension dampers on the back of older motorcycles and modern hydraulic shock absorbers.
Paul

Dysan it looks to me like you have a late(ish) 1971 model. I'm guessing this by looking at your exhaust, headlight, Smiths instruments, and VHB carb combo. I remember reading the one or two man seats were optional along with the later style tank you have on yours. Fact or fiction ? The round tail light makes me think yours was built later in the season. 'Course any of this stuff could have been swapped out over the passage of time. Have a look in JLO's Laverdamania website in the registry. Compare your frame number to what's in there and it'll give you a pretty good idea what year model you actually have.

If Wolfgang doesn't have the neccessary lamp bits try a shop that deals with old BMWs. Basically the same unit. If you do go ahead and mount the ND instruments you will need a different toothed ring on the front wheel as the gearing for the Smiths and ND speedometers is different.

Tom

Definitely keep hold of your old headlamp and anything else you swap off it. From my experience these old switches were very simple robust and easy enough to fix (but don?t rely on them to avoid theft), the newer type aren?t perfect either. You could maybe just as easily find a lens reflector insert for better lighting. And are ND instruments actually any better?
Your bike looks great and once changed it isn?t always so easy to un-change.

Your model is 1971 (7000 series ?) Like the one I bought new in July 1971 (# 6576), but the tank never existed with the Smiths counters.
With this tank you should have counters N.D. Ditto for the side covers with logo
I can offer you an exchange if you want.
The steering damper is present for decoration, the efficiency is very relative ...
Please do not change the old headlamp !!!

Bertrand

Headlamp key and parts  from Wolfgang,if he doesn t have the coloured bulb lenses there is a guy in Switzerland who has them,which I can dig out for you.

If you decide not to change to ND instruments then you can get the Smiths Speedo & Tacho repaired in UK. There are 2 types of smiths speedo fitted - if yours is the type with 15-12 gear ratio in  the speedo drive at the front wheel then you can buy a copy of a Smiths speedo quite cheaply - about ?45 (for Triumph T140 or late T120) this may or may not be a reasonable temporary measure for you; the Tacho is more difficult because Laverda used a drive ratio of 3-1 and that is rare.

The difference between the two types of Smiths speedomteres was one had a top speed of 220 (?) and the other had 240 kilometers per hour with different gearing on the wheel to suit. If the bike has VHB 30 carbs it is most likely an early SF. My understanding is the SF1 and later models had the bigger valve heads, PHF36 carbs, and different exhaust. Much easier to change the tank and seat than to swap out the rest. The frame number would give more clarity as to what the bike should be. Or maybe only "The Shadow Knows". The Luigi Factor  :).

Tom

Hi

Thanks for all the answers and all the good advice you have given me. With great help from you I'm going to be happy as Laverda owner. I have always dreamed of a motorcycle with drum brakes and after an exercise buddy would sell this was just to buy it. Have always liked Laverda and when one could get Laverda with drum brakes it was perfect.

My 750 has Frame No. LAV750F5157 and engine No. 750 * 5157 *. Seeing that it is the same number on the frame and motor, it suggests that it has the original engine.

The speedometer shows 50227km and should be the bike has been run. Not much run in a 40 year period. Motor should have been overhauled at least 10-15 years ago and has not been run much after overhaul. Leaking oil from the filter house, but getting new gasket so I expect that it will be okay.

This is the first Laverda I have run and it was proper vibration when I had a test drive. It was really unusual, but one gets well used to it.

I've bought used Laverda ND instruments (ebay) and figured that I would need new toothed ring on the front wheel as the gearing. Some have any and want to sell??
What with tachometer? I need there too? possibly someone who has parts for sale.

Okay. So it was friction steering damper it was. Figured it was something like that, but now I got the answer, thanks.
Parts that are replaced will I keep so I can later reset as it was.
It needs a good review with new chrome and paint, but wild run it before I do something major refurbishment. When I got it home I discovered that it is Borrani rims and Laverda drum brakes. Borrani wheels must surely be top notch. But I did not show that Laverda made its own brakes. I like it

Greetings from Arne in Norway

DSC3-Copy.jpg

DSC5Copy.jpg

DSC2-Copy.jpg

DSC4Copy.jpg

That's a nice SF. Just needs TLC and a lot of polishing. Ensure to check your Main Seals are not rotted and find out when all gaskets and seals where last replaced.

Main case seals are generally good forever but Head Gasket, Tranny Shafts and Main Seals are important.

Welcome Arne, 
lovely LAV you have.

you can be assured you will get many vary opinions here, all well meant.
We have several 750's and I believe the earlier ones deserve to stay original, especially if they are basically complete.  The modern LAVERDA legend was built on those bikes.

I would think your bike should have the earlier S type/style of tank with knee grip rubbers, going by frame and engine number.  If you go on the Made in Italy site (in UK) you will see an SF advertised with some nice photos you can download.  Not saying it is totally original, but gives you an indication of what it should look like IMO.
I approach the originality side from careful inspection of paint and equipment fitting.  That will normally tell you if items such as tailights etc have been replaced.  As has been stated previously, transitional and Luigi factor bikes exist, so it is quite difficult to be 100% sure.

For blinkers/indicators, I would recommend the Hella units that fit into the end of the handlebars - work well and easily wired in, with a major plus that you only need one set of 2 and they are very period correct !

Be a devil and buy an SF2 to go with your SF, you will be glad you did as they have quite different engine characteristics to me, and make a wonderful pairing. 

At that time, I opened the boxes of transport in the French importer, and I've never seen a model of "transition" ... (except FIAMM horn and 9313 CEV)

However, I still have enough memory to make sure that the 1971 model had the tank "camel" saddle "round" and counters Smiths.

The 1972 model (in October 1971 in France) known informally as "SF 0" appeared with the new tank, new saddle with chest, logos on side planels and counters ND

Your model has been built at the beginning of 1971, with a partial makeover like "SF 0" of 1972. It's missing the ND counters you already have.

If you want to see SF early 1971, I suggest you go to my blog (with translation) to see that I bought new in 1971 and 100% original restored recently:
http://laverda-passion.blogspot.fr/2010/01/restauration-dune-laverda-750-sf-1971.html

Your machine is a very good basis for restoration.

Bertrand

You're right Bertrand, n? 5157 would make it a 71 model. However, I disagree with you on variability of specifications. The bikes you were uncrating in France didn't necessarily have the same specs as the same model year bikes being sold on other markets at the same time.
And there were transitional models around. I'm sure we could find 70 SFs with S tanks for example.
I have examples of that in my pile of metal.

Paul

I agree with you Paul. Each manufacturer is given the right to modify its models when he wants. And of course, as I say, I speak only the French market, one I knew at that time.

However, your example (probably unknown to many people) a reservoir 750 S, mounted on a SF, is accurate, but as the horn, or taillight, these accessories do not make a transition model provided .

Ditto for the first few SF2 models with only one brake disc and a 35mm fork (14000 series), which is not a transition model either.

SF "0" is the only model 750 transition. The number of modifications (saddle tank, logos, counters, ...) by visually made another bike ... a little less sexy, in my opinion!

I do not have the ambition to convince you, but I'm very picky about the timeline when talking about the big twins Breganze, which are my passion since 45 years.
Nobody is perfect, sorry.

Bertrand

Back