The Aussie depository.....

AndyW

Think, to a point, you make your own luck.
regarding that bloke from Sydney slipping over the border into Qld. Classic case of dick taking charge which is pretty fitting, judging by his photo, the guy is a complete dick.
I understood she caught it from him...
I do think Australia could learn something from the cousins as they seem to be able to do hotel quarantine ok where Australia can't... Not sure of the point of building dedicated quarantine facilities if the same muppets currently managing the hotels are going to run the new facilities...

GregT

The whole security thing around MIQ facilities is interesting. Here it's been armed forces supplemented by private security. Which is pretty much the same thing, as here most private security firms are manned and started by ex forces guys.
Last hospital stay I was opposite an old guy whose son was in most days - running his security company by phone and laptop from the hospital.
He was interesting to talk to as he was looking at tendering for a contract around the ChCh MIQ hotels. It was good money he said.
Private security companies are a relatively new thing here. i understand they've been around in Oz for a long while - and may not have the ex forces discipline very obvious here.

piranha-bro2

Last year all the talk was 'let's get really good HQ happening', a la Darwin Howard Springs - still absolutely nothing on the ground - so what? A year gone and zip? Now it's vaccination - we've had a year or more surely to get this shit together - 'ah, it's not a sprint' ... yeah right!!! Major fukups all along the way and the fabulous huge window of opportunity we had has closed and we have Delta putting the whole bloody country at risk. If NZ can do it, why can't we? The luxury of being an island nation has been squandered.

twinweb

Last year all the talk was 'let's get really good HQ happening', a la Darwin Howard Springs - still absolutely nothing on the ground - so what? A year gone and zip? Now it's vaccination - we've had a year or more surely to get this shit together - 'ah, it's not a sprint' ... yeah right!!! Major fukups all along the way and the fabulous huge window of opportunity we had has closed and we have Delta putting the whole bloody country at risk. If NZ can do it, why can't we? The luxury of being an island nation has been squandered.
totally agree,but the cards are dealt ,we have to get on and deal with it,thinking everyday of my nsw laverda brothers

T.C

Reckon we have another 6 weeks to go at least.
It is frustrating ,but given what's going on in other countries we still got it lucky.
I just hope we are done by the time the National get together is on, otherwise I will be well pissed.

piranha-bro2

True Paul - we do have to deal with what we've got. I'll feel better if I can see that we ARE actually dealing with it. My 2nd AZ jab due in about 2 weeks - can't wait.

Many missed events last year, Tom ... from a Vic POV anyway.

Ian D

Had my first jab last week, booked it a month ago because some one else had cancelled, glad I did.

Well S A has come out of lock down with some restrictions, the days are getting longer and hopefully warmer.
The Crows are trying for back to back wooden spoons, come on you other teams let 'em have it.

Nearly time for a proper ride. :unsure: with:coffee::coffee::coffee:

chrisk

It maybe a matter of coarse that the strains keep changing. At some stage we may have to just throw our hands up and let it run its coarse.
The country cannot be financially crippled and pull out of it quickly. Our company have 13 people in Sydney, sitting at home and being paid full wages ............ that cannot just continue.
I just hope we are done by the time the National get together is on, otherwise I will be well pissed.
Probably either way, truth be known ;)

• Haha
Reactions: T.C

Vince

There is plenty of AZ available with minimum risk if that message gets through past the static generated by the media

GregT

It maybe a matter of coarse that the strains keep changing. At some stage we may have to just throw our hands up and let it run its coarse.
The country cannot be financially crippled and pull out of it quickly. Our company have 13 people in Sydney, sitting at home and being paid full wages ............ that cannot just continue.
If the earlier NSW lockdowns had been better enforced - and understood - they wouldn't be in this situation now.
The best thing state or federal govt could do now is push mass vaccination efforts.
I'd point out that the US is in a pretty poor state because the then administration prioritised the countries financial health over the citizens...

We've just started mass vaccinations here as supplies of Pfizer have arrived in bulk. I get my first tomorrow at a pop-up clinic in ChCh.

sideshow

We still get 800 new cases a day in the islands ( Balearics) up here. Life is almost normal for the first time in 18 months , with some restrictions, and night clubs etc not allowed to be open. We have 57 percent of the islands fully vaccinated, which means we can all still get it, but less seriously if we do. The biggest group 16-29 years is where most of the cases are, and over all 80% of new cases are unvaccinated people and only 6% of people with both jabs are getting it, the other 14% is people with one jab. They are struggling to keep the 16-29 year old age group in check, due to the culture of street parties etc, that is where most of the infections happen. Its hard for the Police etc to disperse 10000 yes 10000 of them at a street party in an industrial estate party one night, they are pissed off youth who are also drunk and drugged and tired of having been locked up for so long, with the restrictions that we have lived with for the last 18 months. The kids have had it really tough, that doesnt mean I agree with what they are doing, but I can see why they want their life back to some sense of normality, how to manage that especially in the age group where they are fully over being told what to do, because they are teens and they have been told what to do their whole life, is beyond me .i struggle enough with my kids when they are belligerent because I have asked them to unload the dishwasher, or I have turned the wifi off after 10pm on a school night.
Another tough thing that is crippling businesses ( we are largely reliant on tourism) here is that the government just cant get it, that people should have a negative test to get to our islands, vaccinated or not you can still carry it. They are letting people through to the islands , who have been vaccinated, but not needing a negative test, this is what has helped brought the delta variant to Mallorca, national and foreign travellers that are let through without testing. By allowing non tested people through, those that are carriers, vaccinated or not , is what brings the different variants to us here, which in turn brings in new restrictions, which nails the small businesses here, when they could just say no entry unless tested. We had 30 % of restaurants go out of business because of covid, and 20% of other businesses close down as well. Its hard to see that , and we feel for everyone here. Testing wont stop it, but it will help us. I hope Australia gets it sorted, as so many people we know have had their lives ruined because of this. I hope it doesn't happen in Australia or NZ. I hope people see that lock downs do actually help. Tough as they are. But living up here and being a small group of islands hasn't helped much at all. We could be in far worse places like in African nations and India etc, but it hs still been hard here, and I see it in my kids too.

piranha-bro2

The AZ public shaming was a media debacle that should have been censored in the interests of the nation's health. For the same reason that the media will hit on any negative story because it attracts and sells, the side effect fiasco has a lot to answer for. Did the media report the stats on the deaths caused by the known side effects of the myriad drugs in common use?

Legs

Nearly time to kick back and hope against hope that the Wallabies can beat the All Blacks at Eden Park, personally I reckon we have Buckley's but at least I'll enjoy the Haka.

Andy

Haha whoops, Aaron Smith took the haka, good on him 100 test matches.
Decent crowd. I’ll have to try and go next weekend, if I can shift this cough… not good to be seen coughing in public…