Lionel Otto instruments (Australia)

http://www.ottoinstruments.com.au/
Does very good work on all Laverda instruments for a fair price for what you get. Sometimes has to order parts so can be a bit slow, but has had a lot of experience with LAverdas, even had a guy with an RGS Corsa working for him for a while. Have only heard good things about him from this forum.

Ken

D

Davo

Now 3 months since they got my clocks with a promised 5 week turn around. I had sent photos of the clocks to get the quote initially so they knew what they were getting. Have not replied to any emails since they got the clocks when I tried to find out how things were going. Almost immediately after the first email clocksanddials posted here chasing the colour code for the orange "redline" on a 3cl tacho. Coincidence? Who knows?

Maybe able to give a more positive comment if I ever see my clocks again. 

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
you will see them, don't worry aout that
Otto's seem to have a variable turn around time, varies from 2 weeks to 2 years
if you don't have them by the time I'm ready to send your engine back I'll go there myself and stir them up for you
that works every time

drikko

Likewise Davo, My tacho has been in there since February. The thing with Otto is their phones only work one way ie you can ring them but they can't ring out from what I can tell! I'll call them agaion on Monday, What have you got in there? I'll chase them up for you.

LaverdaIan

I dropped CeeJay's tacho in not so long ago, and as he'd had to borrow Red's with a firm promise to quickly return it, we needed a quick turnaround. Had it back in 14 days, with only a follow up call the week after. Good job, and decent enough blokes. Others I know have also had no problems..
8)

D

Davo

drikko said:
Likewise Davo, My tacho has been in there since February. The thing with Otto is their phones only work one way ie you can ring them but they can't ring out from what I can tell! I'll call them agaion on Monday, What have you got in there? I'll chase them up for you.

ND clocks off a 1976 3CL. Very faded and tatty with rusty cases thanks to having been stored outdoors by the previous owner.

Attachments

• Speedo 1.jpg
    Speedo 1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • Tacho 1.jpg
    Tacho 1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9

Cosi

motoddrob said:
Otto's did the speedo on my GS BM a few months back. Around 6 weeks turn around but had to call a few times to bring it to their attension.

Obviously attending to more important marques  :p

M

Morizzi

If it is just the faces that need a brighten up then a thin spray of WD 40 brings them back to life. I did it on my Morini Veglia gauges a few years ago and they are still good.

I?ve not used Otto but I have used Howard Instruments in Victoria. I?ve used them for Smiths and Veglia.

Due to different damping requirements they don?t always get it right the first time but they will always sort it out. It is preferable to be able to go there with your bike to see how the needle will respond.

Just my experience with them.

D

Davo

Clocks arrived in the mail today, COD, no warning that they were coming and $200 more than quoted. I'm not a perfectionist and certainly not an anorak wearer but at $350 each for a refurb feel somewhat disappointed by the finish. Still a residual small dent in the tacho rim, the case clean up and paint is a bit rough, and the screen print on the speedo has the Laverda logo off centre. Little things I know, but not cheap either. Hopefully their service will be this once only.

Attachments

• Speedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Tacho.jpg
    Tacho.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 23

Cosi

Did I read correctly, $700? highway robbery for a shit job, nice touch with the COD :eek:

I got NOS stuff for my pansy, granted the label starts with a D,  for tacho $90 and the speedo $135

3patC

I couldn't be looking at that cockeyed logo without getting seriiously annoyed Davo, however these things give a bike its individuality like the fly in the gel coat of Cook Nielsens 900SS Ducati and later become legendary. Shit job though really.

Mactriple

I have had a few sets of instruments through Otto's and the prices were OK and I have been generally pleased. The couple of things I didn't like on the NDs were the Lav logo not sitting central against the background as in Davo's and the very average black finish on the outside. It was gloss and a few dents were left, but then I suppose they aren't panelbeaters. I think next time I will ask them to send me the outer cans back and I will do them to my satisfaction and then return for completion. The last set of Smiths instruments that I got back were perfect.
Ian

P

poffer

Davo,

Ouch! That's a lot of money......

No excuse for a poor finish on the cases, that's the easy bit.  I refinished mine some years ago with a bit of body filler and some satin paint. Looked like new.  The hard bit is getting the clocks to run without wobbling all over the place.

Pete

motoddrob

Well I did a river crossing the other day on the bummer, being the first across and not knowing how soft the bottom was, a thrown rock disappeared in the mud, I probably went through it too quick and pretty much rode through a blanket of water, boots filled up, and so did my just refurbished speedo from Ottos. We haven't have any sun since the weekend so the inside of the speedo plastic face is still frosted with moisture. It was waterproof before I sent it off for refubishment.
After seeing what they did and charged for Davo's instruments and my experence, I don't think I'll be sending any of my instruments to them again.

And recrossing the same river, 20 kays further up

spaynenda

Otto did a great job on redoing the meters for my 3CL a few years back. As I understood it then, they were in transition from one owner or lead guy to another...not sure. In any case, I was well pleased with the workmanship. Can't understand how they'd let that logo go.

drikko

Looks like Otto's phone does dial out as I had a call today to say the tacho is all go, so picked it up, just finished putting it in and hey presto it works like a beaut!! So I am a happy man! He had to replace the electronics and re-balance the needle etc. All good.

BTW you can't get the speedo cable back on with the RGS fairing fitted, or at least I couldn't. So off with the fairing again, back on, now I can't adjust the headlight up far enough...... after dinner I'll go take it off again...sigh.