Request to remove Accolades functionality

THANK GOODNESS.... A voice of reason !!   

This has gone on for far to

[move]Tooooo Long    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::).... A Fair Cop :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: Your nicked

The Three Dellortos said:
Paul LeClair said:
Hi all

Bill and I have been discussing this "behnd the scenes" for some time, as well as with others.

Behind the scenes opinions range from the one extreme of essentially turning off all features and just giving everyone a bare text box to type bare text in, to the other extreme of  retaing all features in full with the expectation of responsible use, and moderating that responsible use.

My own opinion remains that moderation and responsible use is the way to go, and retain the features. If a small number abuse the features, well, there is a moderation function to address that very small number of abusers without penalizing the several hundred responsible users.......

I must confess my own patience is wearing very thin over some of these forum feature non issues. I don't want to wind up with a forum with only a featureless bare text box to work in, and all the features turned off, one by one, as a very small number of people abuse them for some weird form of entertainment. Laverda's, fun, camaradarie, technical info and help, ride reports, the enormous amount of work and resources in the WIKI, what the fuck has all that positive stuff that so many have worked so hard on got to do with some piddly little forum feature...... I want to see positive contributions, not negative. Rather than all the energy and time that has gone into carping about the Accoldaes feature, how about directing some of that time and energy into positive things like writing a WIKI article, helping someone out, doing something, anything, positive......

Paul LeClair

I do not see how Smiting / slighting a person ANONYMOUSLY can be held to be RIGHT by ANY FREE THINKING INDIVIDIUAL !! If it was so GOOD all politicians would do it  ! >:D

This is tantermount to Stabbing someone in the back !

Come on Guys... This is strongly thought through... You ARE THE Moderators... We are your friends and contributors !

We do not mean to HARM THIS PLACE.... Just help improve it as Crispin has indicated....

Three Moderators against .....HOW MANY ? ..... We need FREEDOM OF SPEECH and no hidden HATRED !

Will you work it out PLEASE !

The BUTTSON T party

Hi All - I think Crispin's post is about the best i've seen on this forum - a voice of sense with no malice. we didn't need or want this childish feature on the MSn forum - yes i know we couldn't have it anyway - it annoys many like myself that such a system so riddled with potential for abuse is being retained
            I don't know how it works - i have had neg accolades varying from 0 to -2 - now -1 ATM. A question for BIll - I seem to recall you had a -3 accolade recently - it is now -0 - please explain how that works. - regards - Phil

Bill ... If you want the Smite / Accolade function to remain...... YOU know HOW TO FIX THEM IN YOUR FAVOUR !!!!!!!!!     They really MEAN NOTHING now that that YOU can REMOVE THEM in YOUR FAVOUR !!

How can these ..... Applauds / Boos remain credible . NOW ?

For Goodness sake EVERYONE WILL finally realise I am not THE ONLY ONE TAKING THE PISS !!                          (We have to keep this secret Bill)

The Bill and Tim Stand Up Show !

Not Happy

Tim....

I feel Ripped OFF !!

A definition of Karma as determined by the Chambers Oxford English Dictionary.....

- kur'ma,,n.theconception(Buddist,etc.)of the quality of actions, including both merit and de-merit, determininingthe future condition of all sentient beings:the theory of the the inevitable consequence generallly:the result of actions of life.-adj. KARMIC....... 

Edited by MrN.Chanter 1897...

and from the same same learned source.....

smite.

smit.  v.t. to strike:to beat;to kill:to overthrow in battle: to affect with feeling to afflict.-v.i. to strike;to meet forcibly:pa.t smote(arch.or poet smit)......................There is more, I couldn't be bothered typing anymore...This was edited by Messers Theo dell'orto 1908

I think I would prefer to have Karma .... If all you GUTS dont mind

Hi All,

I thought that I would check in on this thread, having previously aired remarkably similar views as Crispin who originated this tread.

The accolades/karma/feedback whatever system has with out doubt some merit. However apparently the software does not allow the system to be used in an open and positive manner.

That this function has been abused is beyond question. As suggested by another this can be only by one of a rather small number. I will say nothing more about this.

My Karma was on last checking +6/-5 which overall I'm not too unhappy about. I know where some of the +'s have come from and truth be known not certain whether I care where the -'s have come from. On a positive note I reckon that having a karma point/message ratio of 1:2 (or there abouts) indicates that I haven't entirely wasted my time...

Love to all,
James

Hi all

I have read the responses, particularly Crispin's reply.

I admit to having been a little short tempred when I posted my rant that Crispin replied to.

I just checked my "Total Time Logged In", and I have spent over 64 hours of online time here on Laverdapedia working with Bill getting this forum off the ground. That does not include my time spent in the background on the "Decisions" committee. That does not include my online time on MSN Laverda transitioning and dealing with the transition. I haven't looked at Bill's logged in time, but will bet it is way in excess of my own.

I recently find myself frustrated with what I have come to perceive as some pointless negativity being exhibited. Perhaps my frustration is some sort of failure on my part in my shared administrative role here, but frustrated I am.

Turning off the Karma/Accolades feature is indeed a ten second task, if you ignore however many hours I have wound up investing in something I personally consider would be a non issue if the feature is used as intended, and used responsibly.

I personally view it as a very positive feature. My view of the issue remains a personal view of issues of negativity and abuse, rather than any problem with the feature itself.  I understand and appreciate that others view the issue entirely differently, and my struggle at the moment is whether it is even possible to make peace amongst the differing views, some will be dissatisfied if the feature is not turned off, some will be dissatisfied if the feature is turned off. I personally would view turning the feature off as a failure in moderation, as my view of the features purpose is to be able to publically recognize and award positive contributuion. If I could turn off the negative half of the feaure, I would, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do so in the software. I need to think on the perceived issue a bit more.

Paul LeClair

Paul LeClair

well, in fooling around in the admin functions, I have figured out how to turn of the negative, boo portion of the karma/accolades function. I turned it off as a test, then turned it back on while I ponder this request a bit more..

something to think about. Seems I could eliminate from the function the negativity I am perceiving, and restrict the Accolade function to just that, Accoldaes as deserved for efforts above and beyond.......

Paul LeClair

Can certainly see how this must be frustrating. It sure does seem a lot of commotion over a minor matter. The way I see it is:
1 - Turn it off and forget about it. (those that really like the feature will learn to live without it)
2 - Leave it on and forget about it (let it take its own course - those that don't like it will learn to live with it)

Personally I couldn't care less, Smite, applaud, whatever. Those that smite secretly will no doubt get bored with it.......

Now where was that joke of the week thread..........................

(ps - I feel sorry for the moderators with the constant insinuation that they have no sense of humour. That's just taking easy shots.)

Hi Shajota, it was the picket fence!!!! I'm down in the other corner S/W on the southern ocean. Green all year, more water than I know what to do with, as you say, paradise

Back