5-12-08 Coppermine is read only

L

laverdap

There will come a time when Coppermine will be a nice resource, but for now it exists to hold pictures captured by Chris.

It is set up to allow anyone to view but it will not allow anyone to upload photos.
It is also another application that requires a separate login and that is unacceptable. This problem of multiple logins in a high priority item and when it is solved  I will revisit how Coppermine operates.

Hi Bill

I went to start uploading photos to CopperMiine, but can't create an album of upload photos. Just get an error message: "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files"

Then I found this post of yours from May 12, 2008. So, is Coppermine still "Read Only" at this point?

Paul LeClair

No, Coppermine is letting uploads happen, it's not read only. Pick the album you want to upload to before you try uploading.
Make sure that your login name shows up to verify you are logged in. I'll go try and make sure it works and will report back in a few...it seems to be working...I'm beginning to hate this gallery...arghhh...now there are several pictures that don't show up...

Hi Bill

so, I log into Laverdapedia and ensure I am logged in. Then I click on the "Gallery" link, which takes me to laverdapedai\coppermine. I don't see myself anywhere as indicated to be logged into the Coppermine Gallery. So, I go to the top menu bar, which gives me the "Log In" option, and I go through the log in process....... which kicks me back to laverdapedia.

then I go back to the Gallery, and try to "Register". It lets me go through the process, and I register using my laverdapedia name and password, at which point the Gallery registration tells me there is already a user by that name (me, of course) and won't let me register.

then I select the Breganze Twins album as best I can, meaning I enter it, find there is nothing there as yet, and then click on the top menu bar to "Upload File". That gives me the error message "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files".

As there are so few photos in the Gallery as yet, I suspect I am not the only one struggling. I am trying to add some photos of the recent 72 750 SF rebuild I did for a friend, and am attempting to add an album to that effect. I can't add an album, I can't upload photos to any albums, I can't figure out how to ensure I am even logged into the Gallery, and I haven't figured out what I am doing, or not doing, that is preventing me from proceeding.

Help?

Paul LeClair

Hi Bill

the MSN format was attractive because I didn't need to know how to do anything technical. The price paid was all the inherent limitations and space restrictions.

I am a technical novice. If I am struggling and not succeeding to to upload photos to Coppermine, many other non technical types are likely in the same boat.

Similarily, I have now at least figured out how to start a page in a WIKI, but I floundered and failed in adding any photos to what I was trying to set up, and so still haven't done the WIKI page I was trying to do. Again, I suspect many other non technical types are likely in the same boat.

I have worked my way through the various help pages, but still have not succeeded.

Just setting up my "avatar" photo was a lesson in repeated trial and error, as I didn't know how to reduce the "size" of the photo. When shot from any digital camera, the file size is well above 1 meg at a minimum. Having to manually reduce the file size of the photo is something I have never done before, and I didn't have a clue how to do it. I'll freely admit it took me the better part of half an hour and a couple of Google searches

Where I am going with this is not to complain, but rather to point out that if I am struggling, many others likely are as well. Would it be possible to post a basic primer - how to establish a Coppermine album, how to start a new page in the WIKI, how to insert photos into a WIKI page, how to make the photos the correct "size" for uploading, etc?? I would write the article if I could, but I don't have the knowledge or skills. JLO, Red, yourself, Chris, etc all seem to be succeeding with the new laverdapedia software, perhaps someone would be willing to write a brief and very basic "How To" ???

Paul LeClair

I am not sure why but every time I go to Coppermine the permissions are messed up. For the near term I have taken all the administrators and reduced their privelidges...this is only a test...if the changes stop I will have to figure out who is messing with them ...if they continue I will have to find the problem. Currently Coppermine is taking too much time to fix - it's daily and it should not be that way. I'm sure it is frustrating for all the users and it is frustrating me.

Paul there have been some "how to's" written but I will have to find them...

Bill

Hey Paul,
I'm not blaming anyone but I do want to eliminate possibilities...

well it is not me either playing with Coppermine.
I gave up on that site weeks ago, figure Bill/Chris will let us know when it is stable/ready.

Don't despair Paul, I have not figured out how to make an avartar yet.

to upload pictures to wiki I received instructions from JLO.
Bit of stuffing around the first time but works okay once you get the first one slotted.
I use AC/DC as my photo editor and it is a bit limited when it comes to reducing file size
wiki demands the file size remains below 250 kb, max
so I first e-mail the photo's I want to post to myself, knocks them down to approx 75 kb each

then when in wike, on the left you see a link called "upload file"
click on that, box pops up, click the "browse" button, go find your photo, click on "open", it reverts back to the original box, click on "upload file"
it then uploads it to somewhere, no idea where it actually goes.

now when you are in the file that you wish to edit, you just add code
lets say the name of your file was "dells are good", note the spaces
in wiki, at the insertion point, fresh line is better, type
[[image:dells_are_good.jpg]]

to add two photo's in a row, seperate the code with a comma

now I have a question
when I type up a story, I add two photo's together
on my laptop, they show as being side by side, hence I always refer to the photo's as left or right
but Max tells me she sees them on top of each other when she goes to read what shite I have written

so, who sees what?
are they side by side or on top of each other?

Tchau
Red

Hi Red,
Yes your pictures look on top of each other for me. I think this is due to the various resolution we use, depending of our computer systems. This is the same thing for any website so nothing wrong. I'd suggest that you say "1st and 2nd" picture instead of left and right, simple and easy.

As for Coppermine, it is not me either... After having tried to register, upload pictures a couple of time, I simply gave up and came back to the work in Wiki... May I suggest that if Coppermine is not reliable (once all the tests have been done) we can use another known program like Picasaweb or others...

I agree with Paul with the need to write some help topics in the site. Those of Wikipedia are not very clear and even confusing sometimes as they mention many options that won't never be used. I thought to write these help topics already but I was too busy... I'll take a break in Wiki and write the help topics today if I can. Paul, I'll send you the notice directly on your email (as far as your hotmail email works as most of the time I have no reply from you. I've heard that hotmail has some problems with Wanadoo -my server- as it considers it as a source of spams).

jlo

Paul LeClair said:
Would it be possible to post a basic primer - how to establish a Coppermine album, how to start a new page in the WIKI, how to insert photos into a WIKI page, how to make the photos the correct "size" for uploading, etc?? I would write the article if I could, but I don't have the knowledge or skills. JLO, Red, yourself, Chris, etc all seem to be succeeding with the new laverdapedia software, perhaps someone would be willing to write a brief and very basic "How To" ???
Paul LeClair

I've just done a basic help page to edit in the Wiki site. Go to Wiki and click on "Help" in the nav tab. This is a first try, just tell me if everything is clear. If not, no problem, I'll start again until everyone feels comfortable with it.
In the same time, I have modified the nav tab to get something even simpler to use. To visit the whole site, you have now just to click on "Contents". You then come to the summary from where you ca go to all the parts of the site and also the forum, the gallery and so on.

Waiting for your comments.

jlo

Not much comments... Hope this means that everything is now clear and that there won't be any excuses anymore to edit...

jlo

The Coppermine testing is officially complete - even after eliminating the admin rights the thing broke. So we're done!!! See the updated info on new gallery options

Can somebody point me in the right direction ???
I went to SPA on Saturday and had a great time! took some pictures and tried the video function on my camera as well. The results aren't to bad, but I can't upload into the Gallery. Which radio buttons do I need to push to get the pics and video uploaded?

Gerald

gerald, first "login" on the gallery page
you should get a welcome screen with your login
then "continue"
in the top buttons is "create/order my albums"
now you have an album manger screen
in the bar below the window enter album title
and "apply modifications"
you will be back to album manager with the new album listed
"continue"
now go on top to "upload file"
after upload you get
successful upload
"continue"
and select which album the file is to be inserted
this should do the trick
cheers,
scott

Scott,
I've tried this several times and the "upload file" ain't there!!! So uploading is not feasible at this time.
If anybody has a solution please let know.

Gerald

Gerald,

look at the attachment, did you skip one of the steps? I have no experience, but you could also follow the advice on the coppermine page: "If you're having problems, clear your cache"

greetings, Jens

Attachments

• coppermine-upload.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 3
Jens,

Bill has suggested to clear the cache as well. When I get home I'll give it a try and see if I can't get something uploaded. If not I'll email you a terrabyte file :p and let you post it!

Are you going to go to Bad Orb next weekend, or any other Laverda event in the near future?

Ciao
Gerald

Yes, you could send megabytes with this tool http://www.rapidshare.com/ I will upload them.

I will not be in Bad Orb :(, the next events I did not decide yet...

greetings, Jens

Back