Rear wheel with rotor brake substitute

Yep, much better. Nice job Chuckles.

A much better result thanks to the advice from the Worldwide Laverda Forum Design Team! I appreciate all the feedback and ideas.
This is a case where the design by committee pays off. Thanks guys.
And FWIW in future, we've verified again that the KLR650 wheel/brake/sprocket dimensions suit the 3CL.

Chuck

We get live coverage starting at 10pm, it's so entertaining I end up still watching at 3am. The Oz commentators are a funny bunch with everything including Movie and food reviews, plus the history of some of the spectacular scenery and Buildings. Saves me an Air Fare. My first year of watching the 2 big tours and the above one day ride.

It's a late finish on SBS but once you get sucked into it it's very difficult to turn off, record and watch the next day. Seeing who has enough legs after 250km of torture is always intriguing. While they didn't have rainstorms on the day, the consensus is that it wasn't necessary to have it on the day - the course was a muddy, slippery mess and there were plenty of crashes I saw. Wheels just stepping out and down they'd go - get up, get back on, keep going.

The sprocket might already have lightening holes. That looks like some sort of cover plate on the sprocket. Bit of a mystery really.
Maybe the plate is there so we can't see the hub end of the spokes, otherwise we might tell you it's a crap wheel lacing job. ;)

Nah, it's light enough being alloy. Besides I've got some 'weight credit' left over going to the wire wheel. I thought the gold nuts were blingy enough.😉

The sprocket might already have lightening holes. That looks like some sort of cover plate on the sprocket. Bit of a mystery really.
Maybe the plate is there so we can't see the hub end of the spokes, otherwise we might tell you it's a crap wheel lacing job. ;)
No plate there to hide anything, pure sprocket and hub. But I did paint the sprocket black, which is the new orange! Comes with Kawasaki factory lacing too.

That paint on the sprocket looks so strange with the un-painted teeth poking out. I t looks like a sheet of plastic or something. My bike has a steel sprocket that weighs half a ton. Maybe I should have painted on some holes to make it lighter. :)

Is alloy is good. The black makes it look much heavier than I'm sure it is! Not a word about lacing - I know a guy who makes his own manila folders (thanks Cosi!)

Ah, I see the confusion. But, I used special light weight paint with nano-particles.
And the camo paint hides the sprocket lightening holes. 😉 I will admit, masking tape technique on the cogs is a bit rough but the chain will hide that. (Notice the exquisite lacing )
PXL_20211105_235602173.jpg

"Notice the exquisite lacing" ... they cheated, they have straight pull spokes!

If you've got some silver paint you could add the lightening holes! Those gold nuts are so bling, Chuck! ;-)

It's known as the Town and Country look---gold nuts for bling on Lygon St. and straight-pull spokes for trail riding in the bush. The best of both worlds!

Someone is going to come along and tell you that you need tab-type locking washer thingys on those nuts. But it won't be me, I've learned my lesson about picking faults with people's newly built wheels.
Yep, I expect so Cam but I'll tell them that Loctite has never let me down yet. The KLR 650 hub has eight M8 press-fit bolts (flush face on the cush side) which were intended for a 520 sprocket. Using the 530 sprocket limits the available thread unless I replace with longer press-fit bolts in the future or drill a relief in the sprocket.
So right now, lock washers, self-locking nuts, bent metal, or locking washer thingys use up available thread length. Twist wire was another option considered.
Next thing you know, someone will suggest I use those yellow arrow thingys used on buses and B-doubles!

Yep, but was just remarking that the one I bought had a sprocket but nothing other than nuts - think they were nylocky kinda ones. Still got 'em somewhere - would check but can't be arsed :cool:

Yep, but was just remarking that the one I bought had a sprocket but nothing other than nuts - think they were nylocky kinda ones. Still got 'em somewhere - would check but can't be arsed :cool:
Sorry, I misunderstood your last post. You're right, the oem KLR had nuts but no locking tabs. The nuts are the elliptical toplock type but the 530 prevents the toplock at the end of the thread from engaging.

Yep, gotcha. If they ever comes loose you can simply fit longer studs. I had to cut the Triumph ones down and add thread - that wasn't easy - bloody hard metal those studs!

Back