round 3 australian bears

GregT

It's a Beasley copy. and yes, an AMC front end. At least bigger than the OE L2/1 Triumph snuff tin brake, lol. Built as could have been in 1957 here for our Cust road circuit. Even got an alloy dustbin for it which is ex Bob Burns and should really be on a Vincent. Oil tank is being TIG'd up atm.
Just a project that uses some period bits which were quietly rotting in a friend's collection.

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
looks like a Featherbed copy, but with a curvy spine top rail, does it carry engine oil?
nice job, not an AMC front brake surely? the one on my 350AJS has almost no retarding effect.

CLEM
First day no transponders yet so no times except hand held timing2 sessions on No2, 1 session on the Mule and 4 on the BMW

All bikes running well, new suspension on the Laverda's working very well, far better than original set up and Thumb rear brake set up also working well
Our track record is 1min 17 secs something and we were in 1min 18 seconds on 2nd hand SC2 slicks
Will change to new SC1 Slicks today and start to get serious
All looking good

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
Just scrolling down this thread and noticed something. Are you using stepped headers Red ? The pic of the van load caught my eye.
I've used both stepped and tapered headers over the years. No effective difference between the two variants. Both - done right - can give more top end.
Peter's bike in my avatar I didn't have a choice. He provided the pipe he wanted to use and it looked pretty much correct to me. It works well as a mid-range pipe for our short circuits.
Yes we have stepped headers
We changed the position of the step 3 times followed by numerous dyno runs and found by moving the step we eventually got rid of the midrange flat spot that most 180 degree triples suffer from
Plus a couple of other modifications we did at the same time best of all being extending the length of the inlet manifolds
Working well

piranha-bro2

Good to get some news, Red. At least you know your chances of a wet track are close to zero - or absolutely zero from my experience of Darwin at this time of year.

As for stepped exhausts - everyone knows you just put massive headers on ya donk and it'll fly! :ROFLMAO:

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
Only using 2nd bike today, Mule having the day off and maybe tomorrow as well

New set SC1 slicks, taped on a Speed Angle unit on No 2 so we had lap times
1min 17.4secs 1st session which is under our own lap record, be in the 16's when the Mule takes over racing duties

New K-Tech suspension is working great, huge change from original set up

BMW is running low 1min 12secs and 285 klms/hr top speed
Weapon indeed

Jotaman

Only using 2nd bike today, Mule having the day off and maybe tomorrow as well

New set SC1 slicks, taped on a Speed Angle unit on No 2 so we had lap times
1min 17.4secs 1st session which is under our own lap record, be in the 16's when the Mule takes over racing duties

New K-Tech suspension is working great, huge change from original set up

BMW is running low 1min 12secs and 285 klms/hr top speed
Weapon indeed
That is an awesome early result mate - giddy UP

LaverdaIan

Thursday, Mule on track now
1st session 1min 15.8secs
2 secs below our own lap record

245klms/hr top speed

Bit of front end patter we need to dial out but apart from that she is ready for qualifying and racing
That Red is just brilliant.. well done to all.
Best wishes for the rest of the week if that is the case.
Ciao

sweetas

WTH Red? 2 seconds!... we go to the track looking for tenths. Happy boys when we are going home with just 1 or 2 of them......

piranha-bro2

Nor surprised you're getting a little front end patter, Red!! To remove 2 seconds from the bike's previous best lap is something special!! The K tech suspension will prove perfect for dialling that patter out. Bring on the racing!!

Andy J

Front end patter has often been the bane of my racing life but glad to say it hasnā€™t been an issue for me recently. Hopefully you will have the same good fortune for the races.