Restoring Light switches with Cerakote

arancia

Hi Miguel, they do look good, tell us more please.

Is the black paint the Cerakote - what is the process?
What type of paint (or is that Cerakote too?) for the red detailing?

I've been looking for a similar very fine paint applicator for repainting the tank badges. A fine brush with enamel paints works OK but I often get paint going outside the lines, hard to remove and that means starting over so I'll get one of those pens having seen that enamel badge painting machines use something very similar for each colour.

piranha-bro2

I bought one of those pens today - $23 and free shipping!! How could I not - not sure I've got enough stuff to warrant buying the kit and learning how to do the Cerakote - maybe I'll send my switchblocks to you Miguel!! How long does it take to do each switch? I'll probably skimp out and spray with satin acrylic.

michipons

I bought one of those pens today - $23 and free shipping!! How could I not - not sure I've got enough stuff to warrant buying the kit and learning how to do the Cerakote - maybe I'll send my switchblocks to you Miguel!! How long does it take to do each switch? I'll probably skimp out and spray with satin acrylic.
It doesn’t take long… if you don’t mind to send them to Spain, I am happy to do them!
Regarding Cerakote, I am happy to brief you all to make it at home succesfully, so you don’t make the same (expensive) mistakes I did…
Miguel

piranha-bro2

Now that is a crazy bargain, Jim! Ah, didn't know they had tip sizes. Mine might be a dud ;)

Maybe Miguel. you could do a quick point by point of what you for Cerakoting and then what the process is?

Paul Marx

I couldn't use a fine tip pen. Hands too shaky.
Smear paint over the letters and wipe it off immediately. Works fine even if you have the shakes.
Paul

michipons

Thats how I have seen professional letterers do it, with a cloth tight over a flat surface.
Problem is that sometimes the depth of the letter is not enough, depending on the type of colour it may end in a bad result.
For example, trying to paint with white lacker over powder coating, when you wipe it, it leaves a very thin layer that dryes within seconds, if you try to clean it with any solvent it will remove the shiny appearance of the powder coating (experience of trying to paint frame numbers)

Paul Marx

Problem is that sometimes the depth of the letter is not enough, depending on the type of colour it may end in a bad result.
For example, trying to paint with white lacker over powder coating, when you wipe it, it leaves a very thin layer that dryes within seconds, if you try to clean it with any solvent it will remove the shiny appearance of the powder coating (experience of trying to paint frame numbers)
I wouldn't try painting over powder coat. Too smooth for the paint to adhere.
Paul