Torque wrenches lie!

Quentin, if perhaps the bucket method is not your thing...
Torque Calibration Services Sydney do it for $50.
$70 if they need to change anything.
I believe they use only the best buckets and string....

Ha! I like the sound of the bucket ... but what about friction in the pulley axle, Cam?! Maybe it would need ceramic bearings :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Tom - I'll find some joint to do it or else do the weights and measures method. Pretty sure we had a work one done through the manufacturer (Warren & Browne).

Lock down gets you do these things that you put aside for " later"....
Cheapo gauge , calibrated with water
Spreadsheet does the rest
Both my torque wrenches weres slightly off , so calibrated the " big" one for the upper range , and
the "little" one for the lower torques.
Jig is a bit overkill, but made from old stuff kicking around
Analogue gauge would be better to determine the "click off" point I reckon..

Attachments

• IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4975.JPG
    IMG_4975.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 36
Lock down gets you do these things that you put aside for " later"....
Cheapo gauge , calibrated with water
Spreadsheet does the rest
Both my torque wrenches weres slightly off , so calibrated the " big" one for the upper range , and
the "little" one for the lower torques.
Jig is a bit overkill, but made from old stuff kicking around
Analogue gauge would be better to determine the "click off" point I reckon..
You've gotta be in Auckland.....it's even painted !!!

• Haha
Reactions: T.C
Well done. You actually went and did something practical while the rest of us were theorising. (y)

Don't put too much torque on it though. That the piss-weak cheapo strain gauge looks like it could easily be ripped apart by the massively over-engineered torque arm :) . I've actually got one of those little electronic luggage scales somewhere. I forget what it maxes out at.

OK, next step, let's get rid of the cheapo spring guage (which will have shite repeatability). How about cutting out the middle man and lifting the water direct? Turning the whole jig 90 degrees. Accounting for the mass of the arm naturally.

I don't think there is a spring in that gauge, and as said, it was calibrated with water.
But yeah good idea.
Let us know how you get on

Last edited:
Back