Central West Qld

Years ago while I was testing John Wilson's experimental Regulator, he was trying to increase the charging from the tiny alternator my bike had at the time, he fitted an LED monitory that had a series of lights, about 10 in a 3 wide light pattern that lit up with the volts produced with engine revs. It was too complicated to read easily while riding. I like the green ones. It's a good thing to know.

What a great bike tale! It's those rides that are embedded in the memory forever. All that talk of rain and floods brings memories of my ride from Lismore to Darwin in the middle of the wet in 1974. Bruce hwy and a line of cars a km long, each paying a farmer with a tractor and trailer a fistful of dollars to tow them through - local kid told me to ride the train line. Hmmm, interesting exercise on a fully laden SF! I'm sure it was a breeze on his dirt bike! All I can say is that I'm forever glad a freight train didn't come barrelling through cos I had nowhere to go to get out of its way and I was stuck up there on that elevated track for about 30km!

And that was before I'd even reached the 'left turn' at Townsville to head west - there were plenty more adventures before that trip was over!

Good on you for not letting a bit of H2O spoil a good ride!

martymoose said:
Easy to install.  Red is ok but you cant see it in the direct sunlight very easily.  The new one for the 750 is green.  $15 free delivery, i chose an australian supplier, to keep tc happy, but there are cheaper ones.

Got a link Marty? Reckon one of these will give me two benefits on the Q: a voltage gauge and an ignition 'on' light - ND alternator has no charge light).

The Sock said:
These are very useful as a monitor and not expensive.
They can save you from regulator runaways and from stuck on starter relay problems.
Could even be fitted in the clock faces, using one of the unused jewels, if you don't want to ruin the original look.

http://sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

These look very cool, Mr Sock. That's a lot of tech hidden in there - and I have a spare jewel in the Kwaka dash too!

Thanks for all the comments (thought story might have been a bit long :-\)
Funnily enough, putting a voltmeter on the bike was a plan a number of years ago (has come up here a few times), but never got around to it ::)
Better get it done!!

Me too, getting an early warning about batteries is handy. Yours swelling like that is seriously scary. From memory, the pressure is Hydrogen gas being produced, eg Hindenburg.

Great write up Pete, very jealous indeed of a good couple of days away, and to be led astray by Mr Kay is always a bonus.
Nice work.(y)

Just ordered a couple more volt meters, so just fitted the one I bought to the 3cl. Will test it in the morning.

Attachments

• 2E88C3E3-8D1C-465E-B45D-0E37EEDDCE3C.jpeg
    2E88C3E3-8D1C-465E-B45D-0E37EEDDCE3C.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 11
Just to finish this thread, to avoid a repetition of fat battery syndrome I (finally) fitted a voltmeter last night. Attached it hidden away to the underside of one of the fairing bolts so it is virtually invisible when off and I can see it when riding. For those that have straight line fetishes, I can adjust the bracket after I see how it goes with a few miles under the belt............
Now, still contemplating how to fix one to the Eagle as unobtrusively as possible.
(Of course I realise I have just buggered up my secret by telling everyone where it is....)

Attachments

• Voltmeter.jpg
    Voltmeter.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 11
Looks very tidy - might get one rather than the flashing light LED option from the UK. I need something to tell me when my ign is on - no neautral light no charge/reg light (running an ND alternator on the SF).

Back