Circumnavigation of Oz

Just read that itinerary ...... that is one heck of a journey!

I tried to figure out what a "Circumnavigation of Canada" would be like but it was getting well over 23,000 km to cover all the outlying areas accessable by road. It would be shorter to go from Ushuaia to Tuktoyaktuk ......... if I take a boat to Ushuaia.

I'm going to enjoy the travelogue when you get on the road!

Jim

Reactions: Jo
I'm trying to talk another forum member, that has a lot of time up his sleeve and doesn't mind doing a few miles, to do the Darwin run in July.
Hmmm, I was gearing up for a nice leisurely jaunt on the Eagle out west to wave Marty and his crew through!
A hit and run mission to Darwin & back is a slightly different proposition!! I know I am a bit closer but still 5,500kms round trip for a weekend away.!!
Casually mentioned it to the Mrs yesterday - was just cooly asked when I was going.................:cautious:
(Just got back from hols!!) Oh well, she still has her work to keep her busy:D
Anyway, some serious thinking required - have to allow time to make sure the triple is ready & willing.

Graeme and I on SF2's, Wlodek and Paul in the backup vehicle. Dan Moriarty from Adelaide is riding up to meet us in Murwillumbah on his Guzzi, then coming with us. Still working on a few others šŸ˜ƒ

Brent Jones is a second backup driver, as he has just had surgery on his right hand and can't ride.

Clutch slipped 5 times sunday morning leaving Walcha, was 4 degrees, brrrr. Never slipped the rest of the day. Old springs are 44-45mm, new Redax ones 47mm. New Redax plates going in.

Odometer up to 3500km since the rebuild.

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_050657540.jpg
    PXL_20210605_050657540.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 21
Awesome Marty. Clocking up the k's there already!! Red's kevlars going in? I've got a brand NOS factory clutch that will go into the sfq with Phil Todds custom springs - if it's sus I'll go the kevlars. But never had clutch issues generally, so not expecting probs.

Thanks vince.

Been working on the 750 all day, got a 40 litre waterproof duffle bag for the tent and sleeping gear. 2 things I need, something to hammer the tent pegs in with, don't want it to be too heavy. Maybe a small hatchet, double up to use for firewood. Next is a jump start battery, Johns one he used to start bretts 3C was a Uniden UPP1000. Anybody tried this one? Any good? Is there a better one?

Marty, do you really think that you will need such a jump start battery?

Your SF-Enduro has only just been set up, guess you start with a good battery, and, as I understand it, the SF will not get really cold on the circumnavigation ...
:)

Cheers,
Jo

It gets bloody cold in the desert at night, and push starting on dirt isnt fun. A jump from Wadiks 4 wheel drive would work. I have no idea about these jump gadgets, can you run a light of one and charge it off the bike when its running? As a fail safe I would be trying to be completely self sufficient, but I am a hermit.

18th July. Needle roller bearing in the primary case giving me a headache. Loctite didn't work 2 times, gone with the factory method now

Attachments

• PXL_20210619_064058623.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210619_064058623.MP.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 13
Clutch slipped 5 times sunday morning leaving Walcha, was 4 degrees, brrrr. Never slipped the rest of the day. Old springs are 44-45mm, new Redax ones 47mm. New Redax plates going in.

Odometer up to 3500km since the rebuild.
I once experienced clutch slip on my SF2. It would slip when cold and then be ok when hot. It was the basket bronze bush that was seriously shot. problem disappeared when I changed it. Everything else was ok. Clutch plates and springs are original after 130 000 km.

Paul

Back