Building my Jota

maurice turner said:
Well done Todd for continuing our deep south habits so Miguel can understand what the important things in life are!!!!!!!

... I think Miguel knows the important things in life already very well - have a look to his workshop/garage!
Ciao, Gert

lavgert said:
... I think Miguel knows the important things in life already very well - have a look to his workshop/garage!
Ciao, Gert
I think we both do ... vegemite and laverda.  But I much prefer my garage !

It is a honour to be a small part of this project! it is unbelievable how Laverdas make an small world! connecting all parts of the globe.... (Lavinoflag)

Regarding Vegemite... well, I have to get use to it :LOL: :LOL: But I will surely do before visiting Australia in 2022

Miguel

I applaud the correct application of Vegemite, a nice light smear. Those idiots who give people the first try off a teaspoon full, obviously that would sicken anyone. Light spear on toast hits the spot just fine. The engine in frame gets a huge clap as well. Kids helping is just great.

nice when their in-cant work out how you slung it?anyway well done,my engine is very similar to yours

bevelman said:
nice when their in-cant work out how you slung it?anyway well done,my engine is very similar to yours

We had the engine on Miguel?s little engine/ bike lift table , and I looked at different ways to strop the engine up which in the end, we decided simple is best and with lMiguel and Louis on each side stabilising the engine , we just had the strop uncinched around the motor to do the lifting.  Not how I normally strop things at all,  but given two extra sets of hands , it worked well for the lift.

Your engine sounds spectacular , my complaint is your videos are too short ! I could listen to your  engine for hours.

Can?t wait to get mine started.  I?m still waiting on the exhaust to arrive.  But there is plenty to do in the mean time.

Vince said:
I applaud the correct application of Vegemite, a nice light smear. Those idiots who give people the first try off a teaspoon full, obviously that would sicken anyone. Light spear on toast hits the spot just fine. The engine in frame gets a huge clap as well. Kids helping is just great.

I agree Vince... never been one for thinking its funny ramming a tea spoon of vegemite down some ones throat on their first time... I want them to appreciate it like we do! 

I just ordered a 2kg tub for Miguel to use over the next 2 years in preparation for his big aussie trip, so he can smash the vegemite down south... Im not mean enough to get him on Bundy though

The 750 sf3 ex race bike  project ( not a famous one, just a local guys one) is to be built with my boy, he has decided its time to learn to become handy, of his own accord, and thats pretty awesome, no one pushed me and i found the interest, seems he has now too. We need more nippers getting involved

100%, good job with the kid. Bundy, mmm. After smuggling in a bottle of OP to the first Philip Island GP and well overdoing it and almost missing the first race, I avoid it now.

Will probably be doing the same over the next couple of weeks with wife and one son.

Is there a vaccine against vegemite?

Paul

sideshow said:
I agree Vince... never been one for thinking its funny ramming a tea spoon of vegemite down some ones throat on their first time... I want them to appreciate it like we do! 

traveled the world for nearly 25 years drilling Oil and Gas and always put my Vegemite in the Mess fridge and never had an issue until I worked in the Ukraine for 4 years
Some bloody Ukraniski used to steal it  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vince said:
100%, good job with the kid. Bundy, mmm. After smuggling in a bottle of OP to the first Philip Island GP and well overdoing it and almost missing the first race, I avoid it now.

Living  a year in Cairns as a dive instructor, Bundy ruined me a few times, now for some reason when ever I smell liniment, it reminds me of bundy.... and that is not good. I prefer Myers dark rum now

sideshow said:
Can?t wait to get mine started.  I?m still waiting on the exhaust to arrive.  But there is plenty to do in the mean time.

I take your word for it! It's similar on my end (also waiting for the exhaust), even if my engine is not in at a comparable tuning level likened yours.
And it hasn't traveled that far ...
8)

Can't wait to see a vid of the 1st start!
:D

Cheers
Jo

Sideshow, where did you work? I was at Divers Den and then Tusa for half a lifetime.
My father in law here in Norway admitted that he used to get up in the middle of the night and steal the Vegemite Quentin had in the fridge when he visited an age ago.

Tippie said:
Sideshow, where did you work? I was at Divers Den and then Tusa for half a lifetime.
My father in law here in Norway admitted that he used to get up in the middle of the night and steal the Vegemite Quentin had in the fridge when he visited an age ago.

Hi Tippie...  I was in Cairns in 1998/99, I worked on Hitchhiker for Alby Ziebell, He was very good to me, I had a great time working for him. Unfortunately he hired a complete idiot to take over the day to day management of the company, he started with diluting the disinfectant that we cleaned the dive gear with,and general cost cutting, so a lot of us left just because of that. I was on the 65ft Hitchhiker, which was the old Australia One tow boat from the Freo americas cup days, later they got a double decker cat in, much like the other bigger dive company boats. We were on pier 2  ( B finger? )or 3 at the marina on the right just before the Passions of Paradise cat. Evan was the captain of Hitchhiker at the time, I liked him a lot... he reminded me of Captain Ron. While I was working for Alby, I also did the occasional feeds at the aquarium, when one of their marine biologists was a bit too hung over to do them ..I still have bite scars on my knuckles from hand feeding Leo the leopard shark, lots of small fine teeth, no pain when the bite, they are more vacuum feeders, and it happened when he sucked my glove in his mouth when feeding him, it came off while i pulled my hand out, then his teeth got me when I put my hand back in to get the glove out, all the while people were watching me do the feed on the other side of the glass... must have looked bloody comical  I left Hitchhiker to work as the dive instructor on Santa Maria,  a little gaff rigged schooner , the captain at the time was a kiwi called Nick, that was great fun too, two owners one Swiss and one French, I forget their names, but they were ok, the swiss guy was a bit of a dick, but that boat had a great schedule, and I ended up moving to Sweden , with a Swedish girl that came out to learn how to dive on Santa maria... bloody good trip that, boat full of beautiful Swedish gilrs in bikinis, thinking Im brave because I was a dive instriuctor, thats how I left Cairns . It was a great lifestyle there, I rented a room in the house from one of the Manager/ owners of the wool shed, and as an instructor we were looked after really well at the wool shed, a free meal, and as I recall 3 dollar jugs of rum and coke, after they saw how much rum we drank, they started buying in Captain Morgan, as I ruined myself on Bundy, I wasnt so keen on it, but it took some persuading to get dark rum in. I did my Coxswains and Master 5 in Australia, before carrying on with tickets at the NZ maritime college . One of the blokes, Tony who worked on Hitchhiker, had a Japanese girlfriend called Miyuki... I think she worked on Tusa after she left Hitchhiker.  Alby was a good dude, and we had a great time going out on his game fishing boat as well It was a Bertram 45 that Lee Marvin used to own, or thats my memory of it, Alby had two huge Volvo pentas in it, damn it had some legs on it, it was mint and fully refitted like new, when I knew it,  it was trick..  Pretty gutted Alby died so soon. Damn I have some good memories of those times.. riding bikes down to Airlie beach and sailing round the  whitsundays, heading up to the Atherton table lands, Port  Douglas , and our road trip in a toyota land cruiser towing a 20ft tinnie behind to Cape York, dont ever buy beer in cans for a trip like that, the cans rubbed themselves through where they were stored in the tinnie for the trip up, and we ended up having empty beer cans when we needed full ones the most ! Good times... makes me miss them. Thanks for invoking the memories

Attachments

• 92e8b4f14458e62e1e56f31731ae0f6a.jpg
    92e8b4f14458e62e1e56f31731ae0f6a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 11.53.23.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 11.53.23.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 204
A spread that requires no refrigeration after opening.

This year I found a jar in my in-laws pantry that had a Best Before Date of 2001.
They were still using it, I wanted to throw it out.

It's a bit of a memory stretch, but I think it was Hitchhiker that dropped anchor near me in Macona Inlet (Hook Island) in 1990. I dunno how much that boat draws, but the spot where the skipper anchored wasn't deep enough. As the tide went out she settled on the bottom and started to heel over. The tide kept going out and she ended up almost lying on her side. Some of the tourists on board were getting rather alarmed and panicky as the boat kept leaning further as the tide went out. I dunno who the skipper was, but he didn't appreciate our helpful comments shouted across the water  :D

It re-floated OK on the incoming tide. The skipper pulled anchor and pissed off as soon as he had enough water, presumably to avoid further 'advice' from other boats anchored nearby in the deeper part of the channel. I'd have thought a professional skipper would have been better at reading charts and tide tables. There must have been a dozen other boats in the inlet, and we were all anchored in deeper water.

Back