Author Topic: is it illegal to ride with a helmet that is over 10 year old  (Read 1729 times)

Offline ChrisJota79

Heard some discussion lately about it being illegal in some states to ride with a helmet (even in good condition that is certified) that is over 10 years old.
Doing a search on various states roads sites found nothing on the matter other than to say that the rider must wear a helmet manufactured in accordance with and bearing the certification of the relative Australian/ New Zealand standard.

Anyone know for sure what the rules are?

Offline Vince

Re: is it illegal to ride with a helmet that is over 10 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05 »
Never heard of that one, it must comply is all I know. I have heard various opinions about use-by dates for helmets from 5 years and up but legal age for replacement, nup . Bloody social media is overflowing with bullshit and spread by idiots.

Offline Gerald

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41 »
How would any cop pulling you over know the age of the helmet? I've never seen a production date in a helmet. Would you have to carry the sales receipt with you, which only dates the time of purchase? In some European countries like Italy, you need to wear a certified helmet, with a ECE 22.05 sticker, but even then the lid could ancient.

Gerald
__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Tippie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 13:07 »
Helmets usually have production date recorded on them, often it is under the soft lining and hard to find. Discount helmets are often old stock that might have been on a shelf for years. The Shoei I use on the road has a message in it that it should be replaced after five years from first use and I can't find the manufacture date. My race Shoei has a date marking on the polystyrene liner, easy to see. For racing here they won't allow helmet more than ten years old from manufacture, if they can find a date. I doubt helmet age has any relation with road deaths, maybe coroners would check that, but it would be a bit late to fine the rider.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Online LJ-2

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 13:10 »
Well that"s sex out before the poor sods can start.
86 RGA Sprint
74 3C
73 3C/1
73 GTF
1951 Gilera Saturno Sport

Offline pf1

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 13:16 »
I think this debate started up when the first polycarbonate helmets were made, they deteriorated quickly and were affected by many things. I recall my mate pensioning one of his off and so we did our own destructive testing on it. As I remember we nearly broke before the helmet did, it took some massive punishment before it gave in.

Offline Cosi

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 13:35 »
There is no such thing as a helmet that is in good condition after 10 years, yeah the shell may be still impervious but the foam inside will be fucked, floppy helmet? I guess it all depends on how much you value your head...
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline 3C-Wayne

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 15:31 »
Arai Manufactured on date is on the D-ring.
1974 Laverda 3C

NJ USA

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 15:50 »
I think this debate started up when the first polycarbonate helmets were made, they deteriorated quickly and were affected by many things. I recall my mate pensioning one of his off and so we did our own destructive testing on it. As I remember we nearly broke before the helmet did, it took some massive punishment before it gave in.

The shell breaking is part of the impact absorption mechanism.
Better a smashed shell than a smashed skull.

Paul

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 22:13 »
The shell breaking is part of the impact absorption mechanism.
Better a smashed shell than a smashed skull.

Paul
Which is why I never did and never will ride with a polycarbonate helmet. They were cheap back in thew day and many were fooled into using them. I was forced to forego my Bell and use my boss's crap poly helmet to get through scrutineering before a race at Wanneroo (Perth, West Oz), because the Bell didn't have an Australian Standards sticker. I quickly returned to the pits and changed back to my Snell approved Bell!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline sweetas

• in context....
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 22:39 »
You used to be able to buy the silver/red Australian standard helmet sticker on ebay, card of 10 stickers was around $2.    There were so many imported helmets that didn't have the sticker, but were sold with it .. >:(

79 Jota - No. 6256

Opinions are the medium between knowledge and ignorance...   Plato

Offline wdietz186

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 04:18 »
The shell breaking isn't the issue with an aged out helmet, it's the foam/absorption layer inside. The liner is meant to compress and absorb the g force from the impact so your brain doesn't slam into your skull like a bug on a windscreen. The liner being foam deteriorates with exposure to the nasty crap in the  atmosphere along with cleaners and sweat/oils from the occupants head. Even the hi end helmets are cheap compared to a hospital visit for a head scan and/or rehab from having your bell rung.   

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 05:35 »
Even the hi end helmets are cheap compared to a hospital visit for a head scan and/or rehab from having your bell rung.   

Not to mention the helicopter ride to get to the hospital, eh Chris?

Offline Woody

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 23:04 »
I'm glad that I renew my helmet every 4 years, I would hate to think what the damage would have been had I been wearing an older helmet. Maybe a trip to the undertakers in a pine box or half my face missing, cheaper than the helicopter ride though.
$14,000.00 for the helicopter, $400 for a decent lid on special.
Looking at the damage to my helmet you've got to go with a full face helmet to protect the lower face.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 23:22 »

Looking at the damage to my helmet you've got to go with a full face helmet to protect the lower face.

Haven't worn an open face since my first moto back in 1972, Chris. Too true!
What ... leave it standard??!!