Author Topic: Rear wheel bearing spacers  (Read 1162 times)

Offline martymoose

Rear wheel bearing spacers
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:38 »
Does anybody know how thick the washers fitted behind the bearings are supposed to be? The ones in Brianís Jota look new and suspiciously thick?
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline nick7

Re: Rear wheel bearing spacers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 15:56 »
Dont know, but when i bought my Jota, jeez 20 years ago!  If you did the rear axle up reasonably tight it, the wheel wouldnt turn!! Bought the whole shebang of spacers  and new bearings from Motalia and all was well...though they may have been the last ones😉😂 Clem fitted the bearings, i recall , thx Clem!

Offline TC

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 19:23 »
I can measure mine on the 81 Marty, they're out and Ill text you
Most of that will polish out...

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 20:16 »
If you mean the washers that centre the distance tube, they are stamped from 0.5mm plate.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline martymoose

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 21:35 »
Washer is 0.57mm-0.58mm
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline martymoose

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 21:36 »
Thanks Piet that is about the difference Iím looking for spacer was loose in the middle didnít feel right with axle tight
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 22:05 »
Don't think I've seen a wheel bearing with washers behind it. The centre tube should be the correct length to ensure that the bearings don't bond no matter how tight the axle nut is done up, but allows the outer race of the bearing to seat fully in the hub housing. Aren't you talking about the washer/ring that just helps keep the tube close to centred laterally, Piet?
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline martymoose

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 22:15 »
Yes but it also sets the depth of the bearings in the wheel. I thought it was the paint but after cleaning out the layer of paint still not right thatís when I became suspicious of the washers.
Cheers from sunny Sydney

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 22:32 »
Weird, Marty. IMO the bearings should both seat fully in the hub, there should be NO paint in there at all, and the spacer tube should be a very accurate fit. When I made my outboard bearing/disc adaptors that take a 22mm axle I took an accurate measurement of the distance b/w the inner faces of the bearing housing in the hub L & R and machined a distance spacer to suit. Spacer just contacts the bearings once installed but doesn't bind when bolted up tight.

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 22:51 »
Quentin,

The washers were only fitted to cast wheels.  They are dished, with the dish facing inwards into the hub.  The ID is large enough to accept the distance tube to centre it so it doesn't foul the axle upon insertion.  Ideally, the bearings would sit fully home in their bores, but don't really need to, at least if their fit is still tight in the hub.  The distance tube should be a snug fit between the bearings and should be long enough to take the washers into account.  The bearings usually have enough lengthways clearance in the bore to allow the fit of the distance tube to be "adjusted" by a nudge from one end or the other.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline martymoose

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 23:08 »
Correct Piet. Ask CJ about it, ďrestoredĒ Jota no washers spacer now too long wheel locked up in the rain on the Hume Hwy spat him off in front of a truck.
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline Legs

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 23:31 »
Think Paul LeClair had a problem with the spacer when he replaced it with an aluminium one.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 00:38 »
OK. All clear. CJs unfortunate experience is a perfect eg of how dodgy work can have very serious impacts!!

Offline Vince

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 00:54 »
Bit like the bloke who was sure he could spoke my rear wheel, and then me finding 12 broken spokes after a particularly fast ride to Lagoona. Funnily enough, I didnt use him for the repair job.

Offline Basketcase

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 02:16 »
The extended warranty is beyond the front gate.

It extends to the end of the street