Author Topic: FBB lives...and rides.  (Read 6438 times)

Offline Scrumpy

Re: FBB lives...and rides.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 08:58 »
No no no no my dearest, but delightfully simple Jack. FBB ... fabulously brilliant boy! :-* :-*

LOL!

You need to change your avatar.

Offline padlock

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 16:01 »
So, now done around 350 miles on my fabulous Laverda. As iím Getting used to it its just getting more and more rewarding. The engine is just an absolute monster it much faster than i thought it would be and iíve Ridden nothing but large jap sports bikes for the last twenty years. Iíve not taken it to the redline yet which is set at 8250rpm but iím Giving it more and more with each ride. In my last report i said that the suspension was rock hard jolly unpleasant, iíve Been playing with it a little and now got the front working much better but it now dives a little too much for my liking under hard breaking. The back is now also much more compliant but i think that someone who knows what theyíre doing ( thats not me ) will be able to set it up to be brilliant. Iíve also played with the tyre pressures and now settled at 32 at the front 37 at the rear. With the suspension now sort of working and tyre pressures about right the bike is rock steady at speed, iím Not sure what speed that is as i still havenít got round to getting the speedo to work. Im only just starting to push it round the bends but it feels far more responsive and sure footed than a forty year old frame design should do. Iím guessing that it weighs less than 200kgs helps a lot with this. The riding position is absolutely spot on for speeds over 50 ish but too much weight on the hands below this so will be looking to play around with the pegs/handlebar to try and make this a bit better. The seat has so far been fine but the longest stint iíve Done is about an hour without a break. As far as i can work out I'm getting about 45 miles to the gallon which is none too shabby especially as the carbs are not set up properly yet.
   Has any thing gone wrong? A big fat NO! This is not to say it hasnít got a couple of issues. The clutch is much improved but i still cant get it perfect,  no matter how much i bleed it there is still a tiny bit of drag. Iím wondering if a different bore master cylinder may be the solution. It currently has Brembo Goldline 13mm bore m/c coupled to a Redax hydraulic clutch conversion with Kevlar clutch plates. The brakes are still a wee bit on the spongy side but work brilliantly, easily as good as the brakes were on my R1. The fuel cap ( which is vented ) doesnít vent quickly enough when giving the bike full throttle for more than a couple of minutes ( i was just testing the high speed handling officer ) necessitating a quick open and shutting to alleviate the issue ( fun at 100 mph+ )so i will play around with that soon. OH, the horn fell off this morning!
  Do i love this bike.... oh fuck yes. Was it worth the money..... every fucking penny. The biggest problem i have with it is every time i stop, some tosser or another will come and tell me they had a jota once and then see fit to tell me that I would be worth more as a standard bike.
  Another 600 miles and its back to keithís for a check over and set up on the dyno.

FFFANARCHY
Its all just so much bollox !

Offline Rob

• Midlands, UK
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 17:26 »
Based on my experience, the kevlar plates will bed in and improve with more miles.  But yes, a 13mm m/c is marginal for not dragging (as in selecting neutral at standstill can be done, but requires a deft touch!). 14mm would be ideal, but let me know when you find something suitable  ;)

Glad you're having fun, Mark!

Offline Cosi

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 17:59 »
So after all these years it turns out you end up with a transgender bike...

Looking good mate
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline Sir Sidney Ruffdiamond

• Aged Rocker I keep banging my head
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 18:21 »
So, now done around 350 miles on my fabulous Laverda. As iím Getting used to it its just getting more and more rewarding. The engine is just an absolute monster it much faster than i thought it would be and iíve Ridden nothing but large jap sports bikes for the last twenty years. Iíve not taken it to the redline yet which is set at 8250rpm but iím Giving it more and more with each ride. In my last report i said that the suspension was rock hard jolly unpleasant, iíve Been playing with it a little and now got the front working much better but it now dives a little too much for my liking under hard breaking. The back is now also much more compliant but i think that someone who knows what theyíre doing ( thats not me ) will be able to set it up to be brilliant. Iíve also played with the tyre pressures and now settled at 32 at the front 37 at the rear. With the suspension now sort of working and tyre pressures about right the bike is rock steady at speed, iím Not sure what speed that is as i still havenít got round to getting the speedo to work. Im only just starting to push it round the bends but it feels far more responsive and sure footed than a forty year old frame design should do. Iím guessing that it weighs less than 200kgs helps a lot with this. The riding position is absolutely spot on for speeds over 50 ish but too much weight on the hands below this so will be looking to play around with the pegs/handlebar to try and make this a bit better. The seat has so far been fine but the longest stint iíve Done is about an hour without a break. As far as i can work out I'm getting about 45 miles to the gallon which is none too shabby especially as the carbs are not set up properly yet.
   Has any thing gone wrong? A big fat NO! This is not to say it hasnít got a couple of issues. The clutch is much improved but i still cant get it perfect,  no matter how much i bleed it there is still a tiny bit of drag. Iím wondering if a different bore master cylinder may be the solution. It currently has Brembo Goldline 13mm bore m/c coupled to a Redax hydraulic clutch conversion with Kevlar clutch plates. The brakes are still a wee bit on the spongy side but work brilliantly, easily as good as the brakes were on my R1. The fuel cap ( which is vented ) doesnít vent quickly enough when giving the bike full throttle for more than a couple of minutes ( i was just testing the high speed handling officer ) necessitating a quick open and shutting to alleviate the issue ( fun at 100 mph+ )so i will play around with that soon. OH, the horn fell off this morning!
  Do i love this bike.... oh fuck yes. Was it worth the money..... every fucking penny. The biggest problem i have with it is every time i stop, some tosser or another will come and tell me they had a jota once and then see fit to tell me that I would be worth more as a standard bike.
  Another 600 miles and its back to keithís for a check over and set up on the dyno.

FFFANARCHY

Padders just ask them what their reg number was and if they know it - tell em that's the one you broke and roar off !

Online chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 22:56 »
Now we all know where the secret switch is.  :D

Glad you weren't talking about females .......... elusive sucker at times.

Padders, your rear brake rod going from lever to M/C worries me a bit.
Could you not pack the rod end out at the lever and use a straight rod, rather than the S bend one?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 23:05 by chrisk »
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 11:26 »
"Padders, your rear brake rod going from lever to M/C worries me a bit.
Could you not pack the rod end out at the lever and use a straight rod, rather than the S bend one?"

I don't see it,
perhaps you mean the torque arm from rear calliper to the swing arm? which could have a "S" bend in  it, difficult to see properly in the vid, if this is the case then I wouldn't worry, because it would take a tensile force of something like 25 tons to even get it to straighten slightly, and even if it did, the brake would still operate, and its a rear brake so the words of Mike Hailwood can be applied
"if you are using the front brakes hard enough there will be fresh air under the rear tyre"

The rear master cylinder however, appears to have a very good straight line "push" from pedal tip to master cylinder bore, looking to not get the flex very common on standard triples, and..... all very nice and short plus compact as well.

well done Padders

CLEM

Offline padlock

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 06:58 »
Glad you weren't talking about females .......... elusive sucker at times.

Padders, your rear brake rod going from lever to M/C worries me a bit.
Could you not pack the rod end out at the lever and use a straight rod, rather than the S bend one?

Ha. A lot of people have commented on this issue ( clem, the pushrod from break lever to mastercylinder has a bend in it ) however.... it passed the mot with it, keith didnít like it but obviously decided it was ok as he didnít change it. Itís such a short throw from lever to m/c that there is zero flex. It works absolutely fine with no sign of it failing and I use the rear brake a fair bit. I will keep my eye on it but itís fine for the moment.

FFF

Offline Grant

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 08:01 »
The 500s have a bend in the brake rod between m/c and foot pedal.
Check out my FB page, clublaverda.com

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 09:09 »
I think SF3s do too. One I'm working on (LH brake) has worn 'eccentrically' from the side thrust. Could be my mate did a crap k
job trying to fit it - turning his SF2 into an SF3.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2019, 03:14 »
The biggest problem i have with it is every time i stop, some tosser or another will come and tell me they had a jota once and then see fit to tell me that I would be worth more as a standard bike.
FFFANARCHY

I'll have the same prob with both my bikes, Padders. But would I prefer a std SF1 to a totally recommissioned SF special with modern suspension and rubber ... it'll still be a Laverda twin to me, but the thousands of hours I put into it will make my smile a lot bigger. Each to their own. I never build or own these bikes with any intention of selling.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline padlock

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2019, 20:07 »
So a few more miles done and another oil change due. Any new news ....... not really. Nothings broken, nothing fallen off, itís dirty, itís remarkably comfy given the seat, the suspension is still a bit crap, the brakes are awesome and the speedo still doesnít work.

HOWEVER...

... as far as iím Concerned the fucker is run in and Iíve given it a proper twating. Fuck me it goes well, lifts the front very easily in first and with a little help also in second. One problem is that it spins up so fast ( due to 3kgs off the crank and everything else being lightened and balance in the engine and the fact the whole bike weighs under 200kgs)) i canít change up from 1st to 2nd quick enough. Keith did say that it may need a tooth or two off the rear sprocket and i think heís right. Its a FAST bike. Not just fast for its age but fast full stop. Fuckin love it.

FFFANARCHY

Offline Haggis

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2019, 20:20 »
I can hear the crowd already.... What's it do mate? Gizza go?

Very little is going to top that in the pub meet car park...

Chuffed for you.
History, eh! It's just one bloody thing after another.

Offline Cosi

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 21:02 »
38 tooth rear is the go
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 00:40 »
I had a 42 on the back of my RGS track bike. But that was about right for the tight circuits we have in Tassie. Rick nearly flipped the bike over backwards once while doing practice starts  :D