Author Topic: Missing 1st gear  (Read 392 times)

Offline Vince

Missing 1st gear
« on: September 10, 2019, 21:22 »
Its been a while since this last happened so i need to know what animal i need to sloughter so i can recover my mkssing 1st gear it went mia after the resent chain and sproket swop i tried loosening the inner and outer cover bolts and spinning the wherl while going through the grears by hand i got all gears but once its hot it wont go down past 2nd is there a perfered dirrection these covers need to be nocked to remove the binding does the cranked spring need a partocular handing of all thkngs laverda this shits me to the max that spring broke a few years back and i swopped it out sweating bullets with zero problems its like russian rulet this job

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
Re: Missing 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 00:27 »
Don't freak out, daddyo. Gotta be something simple, Vince. Sometimes it can be as simple as the spring blocking the stop from hotting the eccentric adjuster screw/stop, but if you're getting downshifts everywhere else, it's probably not that. To negate the selector gears from binding, remove the outer cover (lean the bike over and you won't lose any oil), and the selector drum with the pins in it should have free movement in and out and maybe even the tiniest bit of backlash. refit the gear lever with the cover off. Obviously check that the spring clears the eccentric stop when pushing down or up

If it feels tight, lightly loosen the four bolts holding the selector cover in place and use some sort of wedge to move the cover in the direction that increases play between the two gears (can't remember which way that is). As mentioned, you ideally want no freeplay and an easy slide between the gears.

Amazing how often this simple part of the gear sys we have trouble with.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline martymoose

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42 »
I think I saw it by the side of the road vince, just after that 15km/h hairpin. 
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Online sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 13:16 »
Don't freak out, daddyo. Gotta be something simple, Vince. Sometimes it can be as simple as the spring blocking the stop from hotting the eccentric adjuster screw/stop, but if you're getting downshifts everywhere else, it's probably not that. To negate the selector gears from binding, remove the outer cover (lean the bike over and you won't lose any oil), and the selector drum with the pins in it should have free movement in and out and maybe even the tiniest bit of backlash. refit the gear lever with the cover off. Obviously check that the spring clears the eccentric stop when pushing down or up

If it feels tight, lightly loosen the four bolts holding the selector cover in place and use some sort of wedge to move the cover in the direction that increases play between the two gears (can't remember which way that is). As mentioned, you ideally want no freeplay and an easy slide between the gears.

Amazing how often this simple part of the gear sys we have trouble with.

Actually, some freeplay is necessary.  Get the selector shaft as loose as possible in all gears, controlling it when things get hot and expand/move all over the place is quite difficult.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline Vince

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 13:50 »
I get all 5 gears when cold loose 1st when hot laverda guro on the case soon got a lot of riding coming up

Offline Vince

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:18 »
The gear change on my 3c was swopled out for a rifle bolt snic snic its just light as a feather and twice as tickly what a pleasure the ride home was thanks that mistry man with the laverda touch

Offline TC

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 11:32 »
Yep, we are a lucky gang of thieves to have the man who shall remain nameless amongst us
Nice work  :) :)
Most of that will polish out...

74 3c
74 BMW R90S