Author Topic: Dumbleyung Pub Run  (Read 361 times)

Offline motoddrob

Dumbleyung Pub Run
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:00 »
Back from a pissy w/e at the Dumbleyung Pub with the old fuckers of the Devil's Undies motorcycle touring group ;D
I fucking love those old wheatbelt pubs. Alot of the old pubs as well as the shops are closing and those old towns are slowly dying.
There was about 40 of us turned up, booked the pub out, ate dinner and breakfast and spent a shitload over the bar.
Was such a good w/e that we booked the pub for next year so will now be an annual event along with the Northcliffe pub run.
650km round trip for me and the Motodd didn't miss a beat ;D
FYI,
On December 31, 1964 a crowd gathered on the shores of Lake Dumbleyung to watch English speedster Donald Campbell break a world water speed record.

Mr Campbell clocked an incredible 444.71kph across the lake in his bright blue hydroplane, the Bluebird.

Earlier that year, Mr Campbell set a land speed record at Lake Eyre in South Australia.

Fifty-two years later, he remains the only person to set land and water speed records in the same year.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:14 by motoddrob »
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
Re: Dumbleyung Pub Run
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 00:40 »
Good news, Rob. I remember my one and only rally ride to Dumbleyung - must have been 1977? The pub owner must have been stoked.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:10 »
Great looking pub. I like staying in old country pubs. They have a lot of character and the accommodation cost is usually quite reasonable.

Offline Legs

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:17 »
 (bigthumb)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:21 »
Great looking pub.

Tis the problem with having a drunk builder build the pub for you. The top windows are offset to the bottom ones.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:25 »
Tipping the room layout a little differnt top n bottom  ::)

Looks like a top spot Rob  8)

Sure the publican would have ya back in a heartbeat..... the Day’s of getting the regulars, few n far between, which makes survival a battle  :'(

Offline Jotaman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:52 »
Tis the problem with having a drunk builder build the pub for you. The top windows are offset to the bottom ones.

Everytime you have kill it, and yes of course i went back and looked at the head on shot and now i can never look at it again without being drawn to the 150mm misalignment - cahhnt - you've ruined it for me   :laugh:

Peter
1980 Jota; 1980 Montjuic; 1984 RGS; 1996 650 Formula, 1997 750S, 1999 Formula 850ss Racer, 1971 750 SF 'Chopper' and other bikes that should not be mentioned in a Laverda Forum :)

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:27 »
Yeah Q the old Black Duck Rally beside the Lake was the best rally. Sadly they ended mid 90s. The crew that turned up were the old crew that made those rally the success it was.
You'd probably remember a few of them. Toad who owns in excess of 300 bikes, lot of the old Duke and BM club boys. Laverda John Clark, Puss, Lefty, Bear, Goldy. Did you ever meet Eric Gilchrist? He turn up out of the blue from Qld with his misses. Told me he has a Corsa. Lives about 30kays from Red. Same Eric I refered to last week in replying to your PM. That was a coincidence. Those guys are still serious piss heads, especially Eric, it was his idea to buy a bottle of port for old times sake. 3 bottles later :-\ There was even a hip flask of Stones Green Ginger Wine being passed around. Also known as a liquid joint in a bottle ;D. Over the bar there is a great framed arial photo of the pub during the Black Duck dazes, must have been a couple of hundred bikes parked outside.
Hooksey, lot of those old Wheatbelt pubs are closed now. On the way home passing through Broomhill noticed the pub now closed with a for sale sign. Who the fuck is going to buy that.
That pub was another w/e ride destination up until a couple of years ago.
Cam, as we booked out the whole hotel the Publican only charged us 30 bucks for a bed. Quite a few set up tents in the back yard, Bear turned up with a caravan and a few arrived in cars due to a couple of recent hip and shoulder replacements. No fucking Harleys though there was a Buell fitted with adventure tyres.
Top w/e with crew who have been mates and riding together for over 45 years.
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 00:39 »
Yeah Q the old Black Duck Rally beside the Lake was the best rally. Sadly they ended mid 90s. The crew that turned up were the old crew that made those rally the success it was.
You'd probably remember a few of them. Toad who owns in excess of 300 bikes, lot of the old Duke and BM club boys. Laverda John Clark, Puss, Lefty, Bear, Goldy. Did you ever meet Eric Gilchrist? He turn up out of the blue from Qld with his misses. Told me he has a Corsa. Lives about 30kays from Red. Same Eric I refered to last week in replying to your PM. That was a coincidence. Those guys are still serious piss heads, especially Eric, it was his idea to buy a bottle of port for old times sake. 3 bottles later :-\ There was even a hip flask of Stones Green Ginger Wine being passed around. Also known as a liquid joint in a bottle ;D. Over the bar there is a great framed arial photo of the pub during the Black Duck dazes, must have been a couple of hundred bikes parked outside.

Effing awesome, Rob. Yeah, Toad and I have been in touch and I had no idea he had all those bikes until he told me - and he keeps buying more! Initially made contact after Debbie Barlow (worked for Bruce and raced the 650 Honda sidecar - also had a beautiful Duke GT with chair).
Alcohol was always a huge part of those weekend ride/camp trips - sometimes to the point where i didn't want to be there! Stones Green??!!  :-\ :-\ :-\  Shaeza! And you'll have to jog my brain cells as I still get confused ... Eric was the bloke who came to Perth with Gnome, rode the red SF3? Man, there are some names on the guestlist that are so much a part of our history in the moto scene back in Perth in the 70s. I'd love to get over there for one of the future gatherings - not sure I'd ride the SFQ special over the Nulla though!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 00:47 »
Just fly in Q. Always bikes available. Debbie Barlow, that name rings a bell. Yep Eric and the Gnome. Gnome is in Hornsby and is an accountant these days.
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Tippie

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:36 »
Do you know where Gnome’s SFC ended up?
Good to hear that so many of them mob are still around and doing it.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 11:14 »
Nah never did Lee. May have gone to Qld.???

/
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 12:43 »
Loving the look of that Motodd
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 17:25 »
Nakusp ride and Wolfgang sighting report. It had been since Wolfgand's last Laverda Rally in 2015 since I had been to Nakusp. Too long.

Just back from a great ride in southern BC,   Canada. Weather was warm and sunny, kids back in school so tourists and their campers were at a minimum,  allowing for "spirited riding" without getting behind a  convoy of RV's and Semi's.  If you have never ridden this area make point to do it.  Beautiful mountain scenery, fantastic  motorcycle roads, very little traffic even in summer,  very few  cops doing speed enforcement......what else could you ask for.

Visited with Wolfgang and Margot, they are doing well. As always, Wolfgang is busy with all things Laverda. Some restorations underway in various stages of completion. As well he was working on restoring and upgrading a batch of RGS instruments, doing some maintenance on customer's bikes and getting parts shipped out to all over Laveradaland.  It is a good feeling to see someone so passionate doing what they love doing.

Made me think those of us that use to attend the Nakusp Ralley's should really get off our asses and organize an event in the area. I know the sheer size of N.A. makes it hard to get a truley N.A event but as time goes by it won't bet any easier. Something to think about.....any interest out there?

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 00:50 »
Loving the look of that Motodd

Yep, me too
Motodd 1200, SFC750