Author Topic: A Laverda at Swedish Classic TT  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Tippie

A Laverda at Swedish Classic TT
« on: July 01, 2019, 14:22 »
In fact the only Laverda at the meeting at Anderstorp, flying the Laverda flag in good fashion. The organisers even flew an Australian flag for me!
There were´nt many Norwegians there for some reason, the entire Guzzi mafia from my class were absent, but as it was the northernmost round of FIM classic champs there were people from Switzerland, Germany, Holland, England and who knows. So not many familiar faces in the depot, but we few did very well for ourselves in the perfect (but windy) conditions. Myself scoring a podium 2nd place in Sunday´s race. I was hunted all weekend by Jurgen Riedel on a Nikko Bakker Honda Bol dOr 980 who is doing the full FIM series, a bloody rocketship and fast rider into the bargain.
As expected the mighty SF2 ran like a charm all weekend, nobody can quite believe that this is a pretty lightly modified street bike punching way above its class amongst all the trick competition with Seeley frames and the like.
My lap times weren't as quick as last years, but I felt I was trying really hard. It is like that, the harder you try the slower you go. I was a couple of seconds down on last years times in most sessions, but it is not much on an almost 2 minute lap. I was faster than Ago who held the record after the track opened with a 2:02 at any rate, big deal eh!
Anyway my class 7A (250 -- 1200 1974 - 1979) shared the track with class 6 (750 to 1973) which is chock full of super trick machinery and really fast riders. I had qualified 11th overall and 4th in class putting me on row 3 for the start.
I got my usual flyer and followed the lead 5 or 6 around the first corner, and they just parked me, a couple of slow starters blew my doors off catching them (e.g. TZ750) and I began my usual lonely ride with my motivation being that some monster is right on my tail about to grab my by the shoulder, so I try to keep in front of him, however this time a Seeley Norton (in the other class) crept by from my slipstream towards the end of the 1.1km straight, so I didn't need the alarm clock after all! Yeehaa! So I got to dice with somebody for a change, I never quite got in front but we were side by side numerous times in the magnificent banked high speed corners Anderstorp is famous for, and alongside him under brakes here and there. He started making mistakes and I may have got past but I wasn't going to risk taking us both out to do it. On the last lap a good mate on his Seeley Triumph triple from Class 6 also crept past and glued himself to the Norton´s rear wheel all the way to side by side into the last (tight) corner, but Morten is like me and didn't push it. Great fun this classic racing is. Anyway I was 4th in class, about 6 secs a lap slower than the TZ500 who finished way ahead of me, but I beat Jurgen and he was out to even the score next day.
Sunday was windy and getting windier, 8m/s (about 35kmh) forecast later in the day.
In the morning warmup I tried using 4th instead of 3rd though the bankings and it felt less stressed, so I hoped to find these elusive fast lap times from last year in the race.
I almost jumped the start, a weird Swedish thing, whereby the starter uses both arms. First one arm up with fingers out, then closes them to a fist, then whips up the other arm with the Swedish flag, the signal for us to go. However I misread his movements but stopped for when the flag came up, got another flyer and glued myself to the tail of a bike from row two and held the lead bunch (pretty well anyway) for the first lap before they started to stretch, but that same bike also was losing them and I was almost holding him, then old mate Morten comes by again and starts to claw him in, I manage to follow that triple for a lap before he gets a gap and closer to his quarry. I keep my speed, which feels much better with the taller gears I'm using, and as a gauge not losing out to these faster bikes. On the main straight with the tail wind the bike was pulling maximum for my motor well before the end, and we were braking a bit earlier as a result. Anyway, I was sure I could hear Jurgen´s Honda scream at me over my shoulder and I flew past two back markers on the banking on the last lap, one on each side and held him off to the line -  he actually was 8 secs back so my imagination kept me fast. AND as sometimes happens, both TZ Yamahas, 500 and 750, didn't get to the chequered flag, so it was just an ISR Kawasaki who won the race combined, ahead of me in my class so it was Laverda in 2nd place, and Jurgen very happy with 3rd as compensation for not getting me back. He has spoken to the Laverda family at some of the meetings and will let them know that a bloody SF2 has done 16 seasons in Scandinavia without a single issue and bloody well beat his big Honda too.
My fast lap times weren't there (not far off) but the flag has dropped and the bullshit has stopped.
Viva Laverda racing!
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline levo

Re: A Laverda at Swedish Classic TT
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 14:58 »
great stuff tippie great ride & report well done

levo

Online rowdypat

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 01:05 »
Fantastic report and great results Lee. Well done.
 :)

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:42 »
Enjoyed checking your results on the timing website - brilliant system, very easy to follow and updated quickly.

Sensational weekend out on foreign soil, bruvva. I can see why people are pretty stunned that a road-rideable 750 parallel twin is mixing it with some serious racebikes. And very farken reliable too!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline martymoose

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:13 »
Awesome! Well done, and well written!
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline bevelman

• now part of the sub culture
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:00 »
nice
81 jota-no 4
80 1200-rosie
redax scorch rocket ship
gpz a1 84

Offline markQLD

• from da cane fields
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:41 »
World class!  (bigthumb)
... I was faster than Ago who held the record after the track opened ...

Great to read that the mighty SF continues to outperform and good that the sun gods were shining.   8) 
Thanks for sharing.

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 11:07 »
Well done Tippie - great reportage too! -No surprise to me that the old Sf's still surprise the competition though ;) ;) - Regards - Phil

Offline MarnixSFC

• Int. Laverda 750 SFC Owners Registry
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 12:13 »
Let that be our little secret...  Very enjoyable read, Tippie, thanks.
International Laverda 750 SFC Owners Registry

Offline Andy J

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 17:19 »
Good on yer mate.
An ‘inzane’ number of Zanes (all of which could run)
7 from Breganze (all of which can run)
Several other project bikes
1 x BMW C600 Sport Highline maxi scooter (for comfort and reliability)
1 x Benelli Tre Tornado 900 (cos it should have been the ‘new’ Jota)

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 16:03 »
How cool is that? Way  8)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 16:25 »
Well done and nice read.
Paul

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 16:20 »
Just read this but late I know, but great work and nice writeup, glad you had someone to dice with. I hope they mix up the different capacity P5 bikes for the National Championships.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.