Author Topic: BHR 'BEARS' @ Three Sisters 10/11 August 2019  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Andy J

BHR 'BEARS' @ Three Sisters 10/11 August 2019
« on: August 14, 2019, 23:32 »
Perhaps couldn't of chosen a better or worse weekend to make my debut at the piddling (in two senses) go-cart circuit near Wigan. Pissed down with rain most of Friday evening/night, all Saturday and most of Sunday, and quite a stiff breeze to boot at times.
I was only there as I am still chasing signatures to get my National licence back, and I had hoped a couple of other Lav 500s would be there too to play with. However, Gareth chose not to enter, and Dave turned up early Saturday, couldnt find any where to park in the paddock and cleared off home again. Therefore my main competition (F3) were a BSA B50, 500 Pantah, V50 ditch pump and a Morini.
I was on my fairly bog stock pre balance shaft, 1977 Alpino, but as it turned out the lack of power probably didn't matter in the wet conditions.
Practice was almost a waste of time, but at least it meant I knew which way around the maze of circuits I had to go and that passing anyone on the tight twisty circuit is not that easy!
As this was both my first meeting at 3S, and with BHR, they had of course put me at the back of the grid for the first BEARS race (combined F1/2/3). This combined with the poor clutch starting prowess of the Alpino meant I was still virtually last at the first bend. I attempted to make progress through the field, but when I tried to go up the inside I was getting chopped off in the bend and if I tried to go around the outside I was being pushed out wide and almost off the tarmac. With the depth of water and mud at the side of the track, that was not really going to be an ideal overtaking option. I was also being hampered by the wrong guess at a sprocket size. I had gone for a standard 42 tooth but I couldn't hold 2nd for some of the dashes between corners and chosing 3rd was slowing me down too much.
By the end of the short race I felt I had worked my bollocks off and only managed to make up a couple of places but by then had been caught by the leaders. All round crap start to the weekend.
Back to the pits and following a discussion with pit man and fellow Lav 500 racer, Andy B we fitted a smaller 40 tooth sprocket. By now it was raining even more and I was in two minds about going out for the Bonhams 'Over 50's' Championship race. However, I told myself not to be such a wimp and get out and test the new gearing. It was the smart choice and in contrast to the previous race as I wasn't initially too bothered about how well I would perform, I was much more relaxed. The gearing was a good improvement, and with a few less people to get in my way, I soon started to make progress through the field. Had I not been held up in a couple of places, and another lap, I would probably have caught and passed the only person still in front of me at the flag.
That concluded my racing activities for Saturday as the late start, because of rivers and standing water on the circuit, meant the programme was halted a couple of races before my next race was due, but I was happy enough with my progress so far.
Checking out the results an hour or so later, perked me up even more, as once the handicap system had been applied in the Championship race, I was declared the winner! :D  And a fastest lap to boot! 8)
Sunday morning dawned pretty wet, with continuing drizzly rain. Once again I was stuck near the back of the grid (based on my piss poor showing in the first BEARS race), but I was determined to be a bit more forceful in my overtaking going into corners, especially with some of the larger bikes. It worked to a degree, as although I managed to get past a few early on, it was only to be repassed as they used their superior power to dash past on the straight. I would then get blocked in the following corner. On several occasions I nearly ran up the back of riders slowing down much more than me through the corners. In fact I did clash wheels with a 750 Guzzi at one point. Fed up with this I selected a place where I knew if I could get ahead it would be difficult for them to be able to squirt past me again so I charged down the inside of one rider, stood him up and romped off after the next target. This tactic enable me to finish 8th but annoyingly third in class as I had lost too much time to stand any chance of catching the 2nd placed rider. Modesty almost prevents me from mentioning I lost the use of the front brake at the start of the last lap (banjo bolt worked loose on the m/c) and I held off a couple of riders by using engine breaking and the rear brake.
At least the result meant I had a better start position for the next race after lunch, and by which time the rain had finally stopped and the track had mostly dried out.
I did my best to make use of the improved grid position, but I still got swallowed up into the first bend, although I got a couple back on the next two corners. Unfortunately about a third of the way around the first lap a couple of bikes had a coming together approaching the hairpin, which I was lucky not to get caught up in, and resulted in a red flag.
After a short delay, it was all go again, but my start wasn't much better the second time around and I again had to work hard to pass people through the corners. I worked out I was much quicker into the tight corners, through the twisty esses and around the series of bends before the start finish straight than the bunch of riders in front, so that's were I started picking them off. In particular, I found I could hold a much tighter line around the bottom bend and used that to my advantage.
However, with the drier conditions a few of the larger bikes I had beaten in the earlier race used their power advantage to get clear of me early on, so I finished one place lower. However, I finally beat the V50 and finished 2nd in class. A flying Tyler Scothern, on the B50 wasn't being caught by anyone at the weekend and won all the races.
From my point of view though it was mission accomplished, two signatures and me and the bike still in one piece, albeit the bike is leaking a bit more oil now....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:21 by Andy J »
An ‘inzane’ number of Zanes (all of which could run)
10 from Breganze (all of which can run)
Several other project bikes
1 x BMW C600 Sport Highline maxi scooter (for comfort and reliability)
1 x Benelli Tre Tornado 900 (cos it should have been the ‘new’ Jota)

Offline rowdypat

Re: BHR 'BEARS' @ Three Sisters 10/11 August 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:00 »
 (bigthumb)
Well done Andy.

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:52 »
I read every word twice over and thoroughly enjoyed your report, your honesty has to be admired as does your pluck, I am genuinely very envious of your return to bike sport, ACU wouldn't  let me have my license back either, when asked a few years ago, when I mentioned Hailwoods return to National racing without hassle, after an 11 year break,the girl I was talking to said "WHO?"
CLEM
ps you are still a skinny fished faced freak

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:00 »
 Great report Andy - 3 sisters does suit the smaller bikes - would have liked to have done it on a Monty - but the Saxon/Motodd 1200 was Ok and the Sf pretty good there too. - Regards - Phil

Offline Tippie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 13:40 »
Great report and good on you for getting out there. It sounds like a bastard of a track, but the same for everyone. No front brake coudn´t work on any of our tracks here.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Rob

• Midlands, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 15:22 »
Well done Andy - gotta say I admire your tenacity in the face of such diabolical weather.  Hats off to you!  Mission accomplished   8)

Offline gareth99

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 17:04 »
Great report Andy and well done without a front brake ! At this rate there will only be Laverdas in the F3 class as Tyler will move onto bigger and better things (and so he should).

I saw you flying at Mallory in the Fo1K so was sad I missed you at 3S. I'll also miss you at Cadwell as I'm in the US for all of September.

However, I will of course be checking in to read your race report...
1925 Triumph Model P
1935 Triumph L2/1
1939 Triumph 3HW
1959 MV Agusta Ottantatre
1969 MV Agusta 350B  (race bike)
1979 Laverda Jotarama
1982 Honda CB1100RD
2000 MV Agusta 750 F4 S

Offline KERMIT1200

• Worcester,UK
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 18:16 »
Having been at Three Sisters all weekend with Andy it was a joy to see him finish 2nd in the over 50's race and then to find out later he 'd won was icing on the cake. Well ridden.

Lucky for me he can't or lets say shouldn't drink any alcohol , but I did buy him a meal that evening.

Andy and news from ACU?

Andy

Offline Andy J

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 18:49 »
Thanks all for the kind words, and especially to Andy B for prepping the bike and coming with me to Wigan. Still waiting to hear back from the ACU about the upgrade, so may or may not need to go to Cadwell!

Offline Andy J

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:24 »
For those that dont know the circuit I have added a pdf to the first post. The circuit runs clockwise - but don't follow my shakey dotted line too closely!

Offline a14rgs

• Wiltshire, U.K.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 18:18 »
Top job there Andy, well done.
There's life in the old dog yet! ;D
1983 RGS1000, 155000km, owned and loved since 1989 😊
1977 Jota
1977 1200

"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline rowdypat

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 00:37 »
For those that dont know the circuit I have added a pdf to the first post. The circuit runs clockwise - but don't follow my shakey dotted line too closely!

Haha, yeah, looks like you dodged/lined up a rabbit coming out of the second last turn  ::) :)

Offline martymoose

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 00:50 »
Very well written report Andy, be thankful for the rain, none over this side of the planet.
Cheers from sunny Sydney