Author Topic: Mobile Phone tracking in Australia  (Read 1822 times)

Offline ghwallice

Mobile Phone tracking in Australia
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:54 »
Does anyone know of some good, well priced apps or software in Australia that Tammy and I can use to track each other's phones that actually works?

It's mainly about safety for me. For example, If I go for an early morning ride, then hit a roo before she wakes up she'll be able to work out where I am and if I am moving. It would also be of benefit on a day to day work schedules. (she knows all my girlfriends, so that is not a worry)

And ditto for me knowing where she is. (and I know all her girlfriends as well...)

There are GPS trackers, but we think using the phones would be better.

Regards, Greg
Kubota B7300
'54 Royal Enfield Meteor 700 (basket)
Some Laverda's and Guzzi's and Ducati's, my turbo KTM  & her KTM
Glass door beer fridge

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
Re: Mobile Phone tracking in Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:08 »
Greg, my family uses Life360, works a treat.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle thereís no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 15:11 »
The Google Maps application has a Location Sharing function that allows you to share your location with multiple people. Access it from the hamburger menu

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k5onkyf5wbdVoqyY6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/baDqvMfxfBpCGYx9A
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Sir Sidney Ruffdiamond

• Aged Rocker I keep banging my head
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 16:51 »
Greg, my family uses Life360, works a treat.

Chris it didnít show you falling off a chair in Breganze  :D

Offline a14rgs

• Wiltshire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 18:45 »
Chris it didnít show you falling off a chair in Breganze  :D
Or UzŤs😏🤣🤣
1983 RGS1000, 154000km, owned and loved since 1989 :-)
1977 Jota

"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:42 »
 :laugh:
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle thereís no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline ghwallice

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 22:24 »
We are going to go with the Life360. Good value for little $. Currently in the process of upgrading phones to iphones with the required ios11 to run the program.

Once we get that working I'm going to try and get google maps working as a day to day gps for route planning.

Thanks for help

Regards, Greg
Kubota B7300
Glass door beer fridge

Offline Vince

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 04:21 »
I just added WAZE as a GPS, it looks like a great free option but I havent used it yet.

Offline Cosi

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:46 »
Upgrading to IPhones, thatís funny... and itís ios 12.3 
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline drikko

• Brisvegas
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 01:36 »
Upgrading to IPhones, thatís funny... and itís ios 12.3

Yeah, I nearly fell off MY chair reading that 😂
Rgs1000 '83
Weestrom
Triumph Sprint ST1050
Cosi prefers crow eaters....
Breville Sandwich Maker

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was sober so please don't take it personally.
'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.' Oscar Wilde

Offline ghwallice

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 00:00 »
After using Nokia Windows phones for 6 years the Motorola brick I had 30? years ago would be an upgrade.

Life360 requires a minimum of ios11. I am quite aware that apple ios is now 12.3 and the ability to upgrade the 5S. The size of the 5S suits me as a tradie, not like the portable televisions most people carry, and they are 64 bit architecture.

And you know how fkn tight I am. I've picked up 2 of 5S for a ridiculously expensive price of $130 (for both). How much did you pay for your portable televisions?

Also bought a 4G nighthawk router and fitted it with a mobile sim. Makes the fibre nbn we have into our house look slow as shit, and the whole system is portable (ie we chuck it into the van with us when we travel).

Oh, yeh. On top of that, when I dump the nbn plan, I've just cut $1700 a year off our communications bill...
Kubota B7300
Glass door beer fridge

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 00:57 »
After using Nokia Windows phones for 6 years the Motorola brick I had 30? years ago would be an upgrade.

Life360 requires a minimum of ios11. I am quite aware that apple ios is now 12.3 and the ability to upgrade the 5S. The size of the 5S suits me as a tradie, not like the portable televisions most people carry, and they are 64 bit architecture.

And you know how fkn tight I am. I've picked up 2 of 5S for a ridiculously expensive price of $130 (for both). How much did you pay for your portable televisions?

Also bought a 4G nighthawk router and fitted it with a mobile sim. Makes the fibre nbn we have into our house look slow as shit, and the whole system is portable (ie we chuck it into the van with us when we travel).

Oh, yeh. On top of that, when I dump the nbn plan, I've just cut $1700 a year off our communications bill...

What mobile network do you use with your nighthawk router?
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline ghwallice

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 08:27 »
I've shifted everything over to Boost. It uses the Telstra 4G network. They only have mobile plans, no broadband plans, but the data allowance of 240Gb for 12mths (plus voice ect) ($300) is better than say the Telstra broadband at 180Gb for $50 month ($600).

We don't use a lot of data, and we don't stream much.

Regards, Greg
Kubota B7300
Glass door beer fridge

Offline Yogi

• Wamberal NSW Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18 »
I've shifted everything over to Boost. It uses the Telstra 4G network. They only have mobile plans, no broadband plans, but the data allowance of 240Gb for 12mths (plus voice ect) ($300) is better than say the Telstra broadband at 180Gb for $50 month ($600).

We don't use a lot of data, and we don't stream much.

Regards, Greg

I also use Boost for my mobile, but on a pre-paid $40 no contract plan. From memory it gets me 30GB data and unlimited calls to standard numbers (landline and mobile) both here and in 25 countries.  When I recharge, the receipt is from Telstra.  Iím not a heavy data user,which might make a difference to some folk.

Yogi
Yogi

1973 750 SF1 #15300
1974 750 SF2 #16555
1979 600 Barcelona Replica
1981 1200 Mirage #3341
1988 OR600 Atlas Series 3
1972 Yamaha TR3/TZB 350

Offline laverdas

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 22:59 »
What mobile network do you use with your nighthawk router?
i use a map and Ron 98 keeps me on the road and stops me from falling off chairs pissed. Nice to have meet you at a meal one night, i was the guy who was listening to your riding expolts in Spain for at least 30mins until lemonjelly grassed you up for riding a suzuki. But who cares you were there. Regards Andy