Author Topic: NGC Laverda questions  (Read 364 times)

Offline Jannaq

NGC Laverda questions
« on: June 06, 2019, 14:14 »
I've got a line on a 74 750SF that looks to be in excellent condition, but not stock. It's been set up like a race bike with a solo seat and full fairing, but with headlight and tail light. So it should be street legal. Clipons, not possible to mount any other bars to fit the fairing. Dual front discs, two into one short exhaust. Sorry, I don't have any photos at this point, but it's got the Laverda orange paint and looks like a million bucks.

Any rough idea what this bike might be worth?

Are these bikes at all dependable? The bike is being sold by his X, but a friend said it broke down every time he rode it. Is that normal and to be expected?

One other question - It looks like a Honda engine and I sort of recall a story that Laverda did copy the Honda in building this bike. Is that true?

Offline CLEMTOG

Re: NGC Laverda questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 14:33 »
photos are very much needed

if you have a stock but modified SF2 (that is with twin front discs and a drum rear on spoked wheels) then it could be worth (in the USA) 5,000 to 10,000 dollars

If you have an SFC the ceiling could be 55 to 58,000 dollars

This is why we need to know what you have,

kneel down to the left of the bike and look carefully under the gearbox mounting bolt near the swing arm pivot, and on the crankcase you should see some letters stamped, you may need a lamp and some solvent on a cloth to clean the area.
tell us what you find

CLEM (valuation officer for ILOC)

Offline pf1

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 14:36 »
Hello Jannaq, I think the 750 should be very reliable if it has been put together properly and yes it was copied in part from the Honda CB77 motor.

If it's modified and keeps breaking down it isn't worth a lot, I wouldn't think.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 16:36 »
There was a Laverda 750 ex-racebike for sale a while back in USA. I can't remember where but it seemed a good bike but quite overpriced at the time. I think it was the mid teens in price but if it is the same bike it has a lot of nice work and I think it would be a nice bike if under 10K.
Hope you get us some photo's soon. Sounds like a good bike ....... and if it is not reliable then it can be made reliable.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 19:17 »
They're extremely reliable bikes.

An arsehole can transform an excellent machine into a pile of crap.

Obvious.

Paul

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 04:01 »

An arsehole can transform an excellent machine into a pile of crap.

How are we supposed to sit on them then?

Offline Tippie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:31 »
If you check the engine and frame numbers, matching or not, against the registers for SF and SFC in Laverdamania you will get an idea of what model.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33 »
A well-built SF is close to bullet proof. DPOs (dick'ead previous owners) are REALLY good at turning an otherwise fabulous bike into shaezwagen.
What ... leave it standard??!!