Author Topic: Laverda Accident Repair  (Read 5008 times)

Offline david4

Laverda Accident Repair
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:36 »
Yesterday, first time out on my SF this year and i came into contact with the side of a Ford Fiesta driven by a young lass that "didn't see you"
On cursory inspection the bike would appear fairly unscathed apart from twisted forks, bent handlebars etc. but I know from previous accidents that unseen damage can often run deeper.
Can anybody suggest somebody that knows what they are talking about to look over the bike, before the insurance company become too involved.
I am in the Midlands UK

Thank you, I like this forum !

Offline Ventodue

Re: Laverda Accident Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 14:34 »
Malcolm Cox.

Alcester Heath Farm
Alcester Heath 
Alcester
B49 5JJ
Warwickshire

01789 764349.
Forum handle: MALco56
email:  coxeng@gmx.com
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Cox-Engineering-Laverda-1060970330593133/about/

Offline Rob

• Midlands, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 15:21 »
Malc has moved. Phone number and address now different. Best to get in touch by Facebook messenger

Offline david4

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 17:39 »
Thanks for the contact

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 23:13 »
Lucky it was a Ford Fiesta, like crashing into a sponge, in comparison to a Dodge Ram anyway. ;)
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 00:43 »
Twisted forks would indicate new triple clamps if the quote is to respect the value of the bike and its intended purpose. Don't let them chisel you - car repair quotes are exorbitant, so an SF inspection should cover absolutely everything that's even slightly scratched.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:27 »
I'd be hitting them up for a front wheel, even if not measurably damaged there's a good argument it's been overstressed.  Instruments, switches, levers, mufflers if it hit the ground, the list goes on.  Beyond that the old SF frame is ridiculously strong, so it's not all that likely it's been bent, but it's possible.
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline nick7

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:16 »
More help maybe from ILOC site? Consider joining? Hope you are ok? Ive been lucky so far, no accidents since 1982..and though am not a fan per se of IAM, ( er, I stopped the course as i knew best natch!) Consider some advanced training? Even if you think a lot of it is guff, one thing learned could make that difference. Here endeth the lesson..

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46 »
Malc has moved. <snip>

Ah!  Thought he had, but that was the address on his Face Ache page.  Tell him to update it, will ya, Rob ?  :D

Offline david4

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:36 »
Thank you for the helpful replies, I am only comfortable letting somebody who understands old bikes  look over the damage, from past experience there is always more than you think. The bike is certainly in better shape than the car, which looks like a write off. Always knew they were built like brick shit houses but this has surprised me.

Should put this bit in the getting old thread, but just a bit of background, I was diagnosed with fairly aggressive cancer to multiple organs before christmas, Sunday was the first local classic bike meet and I was determined to go, but after 6 months solid chemo I am as weak as a kitten, I have a 71 suzuki T250 which I thought would be easier to ride, but at the last minute decided on the laverda, glad I did, the suzuki would be scrap now.

On the plus side, I carried on to the meet, recovered my frazzled nerves and got down to enjoying the ride.

First time I have felt alive for six months, no pain, no discomfort and the joy of riding a bike.

All the best.

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 13:09 »
Thank you for the helpful replies, I am only comfortable letting somebody who understands old bikes  look over the damage, from past experience there is always more than you think. The bike is certainly in better shape than the car, which looks like a write off. Always knew they were built like brick shit houses but this has surprised me.

Should put this bit in the getting old thread, but just a bit of background, I was diagnosed with fairly aggressive cancer to multiple organs before christmas, Sunday was the first local classic bike meet and I was determined to go, but after 6 months solid chemo I am as weak as a kitten, I have a 71 suzuki T250 which I thought would be easier to ride, but at the last minute decided on the laverda, glad I did, the suzuki would be scrap now.

On the plus side, I carried on to the meet, recovered my frazzled nerves and got down to enjoying the ride.

First time I have felt alive for six months, no pain, no discomfort and the joy of riding a bike.

All the best.

Been there last year, without the accident.
First ride on the SF had me knackered after an hour but with a renewed taste for life.

Paul

Offline david4

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 13:45 »
Motorbikes, if they don't kill you they cure you !

Offline Vince

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 14:28 »
Yep, repeat weekly for best results. Not including hitting cars though

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 23:50 »
With the shi@ your're going through David, hitting a car on your first outing in far too long must have been a really lousy kick in the guts. Very heartwarming to hear that you could continue and enjoy the SF. May you enjoy many more. The very best for your recovery.

On a material note, with the description of damage to the car, i'd be even more intent on getting a thorough quote done.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline david4

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:16 »
Thank you for your kind remarks.

Bought my SF a couple of years ago, and loved it from the minute I pressed the button.

More motorcycle chemo therapy today, taking out my 500 AJS.

Provided I can start it !