Author Topic: Any thoughts on what its worth? 1974 SF2 former race bike in California USA  (Read 576 times)

Offline mgordonvegas8

personally I think it looks better as a race bike but still pretty nice

I am curious - what is the consensus on something like this worth?   I am more of a zane era person.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Other-Makes-Laverda/163645736462?hash=item261a0bc60e:g:Rs4AAOSw9ylcr1tU

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
Not much.

Race bikes don't command much money unless they're the real Mackoy. Not a modded road bike.
They're usually knackered down to the last nut and bolt.

Paul

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
Not much.

Race bikes don't command much money unless they're the real Mackoy. Not a modded road bike.
They're usually knackered down to the last nut and bolt.

Paul

I tend to disagree, Paul, unless the racer or their mechanic was a hack. Personally I think there's far more risk in a road bike owned by a DPO who's decided they are a budding DIY mechanic. I've seen far too many ugly SFs with seriously dodgy faults caused by them.

A well set up SF/C race bike should be capable of coping with the rigours of the track without any serious wear or damage. This bike has an SFC crank, Carillo rods etc, so it's strong and built to endure. I'd happily buy it (if I didn't have 2 SF-based bikes already!) and turn it back into a road bike ... or race it ...

I think Tippie will attest to how little work his race bike is.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline helicopterjim

I'll have to ask Mick Hart if he knows anything about this bike ...... it shows that he raced against it ..... just need to know what years.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Tippie

Agree with Quentin. It is all up to how well it has been kept up and how hard it has been ridden. My bike at 15 seasons shows very little for its trouble, but I got past the revving to make up for slow riding syndrome pretty early on. The only actual problem it showed was first gear bush worn out from my relentless hard starts, found and rectified after 14 seasons when I replaced the original rods with Carrillos. It is probably going to be a street bike again soon enough too. This guys sales blurb gives me nausea so hed never be able to sell it to me and from the sounds of it he wants SFC price, hey it even needs an SFC service book to set the tappets.
There was another SF2 based racer from the states on FB recently, the guy had even cut off the starter motor mounts. It seems there are a few hiding out there.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
I still maintain my point of view.

Racing implies serious maintenance.
This one hasn't run in.....a while.

What's an SFC crank? Need to ask about that. Who built it. What's SFC porting?
As for SFC shop manual.

The bike has had large amounts of cash thrown at it, maybe, and the seller doesn't want to recuperate it, maybe.

Paul

Online SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
I have read that sales blurb years ago! Almost word for word the same.
I will say the same thing I said last time, he has had his fun with the bike, thrashed the arse off it and now wants to get his money back.
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline IAG

• Chicago
I have read that sales blurb years ago! Almost word for word the same.
I will say the same thing I said last time, he has had his fun with the bike, thrashed the arse off it and now wants to get his money back.
I thought it was familiar!
1976 3CL#5148 
American Eagle #1650
1984 RGS Executive #10 (#2320)

In the eyes of many i've probably thrashed the arse off my SF,but i wouldn't hesitate to sell it to my best friend (if I had one  :-*) in the knowledge that it is in excellent condition and has huge miles left in its long life.

I agree, something like an R1, Panigale or GSX-R race bike might be a different story after many seasons, but a Laverda twin is another story.

BTW, an SFC crank is the crank produced by the factory for the SFC - a totally different ground-up beast to the std SF crank. if it IS an SFC crank, it's worth something well above a stock crank. SFC porting? I'm assuming 7mm valves, 36mm inlet ports (no double venture) and inlet manifolds.

if he wants SFC prices, 'tell him he's dreamin'  :D  (quote will go straight over the heads of non-Australians)

Offline MarnixSFC

• Int. Laverda 750 SFC Owners Registry
It just depends, the drum brake SFCs had basically the same crank and conrods as the SF, but it was fully polished and balanced with more care.
The disc brake models had the much lighter half web affair with slim polished conrods.

Marnix
International Laverda 750 SFC Owners Registry

Good point, Marnix. I'm forgetting that the light cranks didn't appear until the '74 model - and I have one (the crank, not the bike!) and I love it.