Author Topic: Lock wiring this sucker  (Read 1011 times)

Offline cbertozz

Re: Lock wiring this sucker
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 12:14 »
I'd feel better if I had one but pretty hard as Tippie says.

Last race day...

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 14:36 »

Under general road racing:
10.17.1.6 Plugs or caps which, if removed, permit the discharge of any lubricating, cooling or hydraulic fluids, must be wire-locked or otherwise secured in the tightened position in a manner approved by the Scrutineer.
10.17.3.2 Front brake caliper mounting bolts to be lockwired in the tightened position. The use of R-clips, bowtie clips, and spring clips in conjunction with lockwiring is permitted.
10.33.3.1 A pin or locknut must be fitted to the brake pad fixture. The safety wire used on the brake caliper bolts must be visible.

Under historic road racing:
11.15.2.2 Plugs or caps which, if removed, permit the discharge of any lubricating, cooling or hydraulic fluids must be lockwired or otherwise secured in the tightened position in a manner approved by the scrutineer. All high pressure oil lines to be secured by a pressure type fitting on Period 4, Period 5 and Period 6 machines. Worm drive hose clips may be used on Period 1, Period 2 and Period 3 machines.
11.15.2.8 Front and rear brake caliper mounting bolts to be lockwired in the tightened position.

Seems odd that it's only historic bikes that have to wire the front and rear caliper bolts, whereas non-historic bikes only have to wire the front.

Not sure if your scrutineer would approve this but I have used a blob of silicone to seal a drain plug several times and the scrutineers passed it in Canada. One was on my Guzzi MGS-01. The bolt needs to be thoroughly cleaned with brake cleaner or equivalent and the silicone obviously needs the approriate time to set up. The scrutineer looked at the silicone ..... grabbed a pair of pliers and pinched the silicone and gave it a good tug ..... and declared it good to go. It is a bit of a bother when you have to remove it later as I had to scrape it off with a razor blade but done properly that bolt/nut/whatever ain't gonna budge!
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:38 »
Neat

Offline cbertozz

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.