Author Topic: International Festival of Speed  (Read 798 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
Re: International Festival of Speed
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 23:45 »
… we can run a disc on the front of the Laverda and the adjustable ratio mastercylinder is ok too, but we can't get the Series 2 engine into that class (Period 4).

That's interesting. When I wrote to Motorcycling Australia asking what I'd need to do to get my RGS based racer into P4, they said if I fitted wire wheels with rear drum brake it would be OK. I got as far as sourcing a rear wheel from Maurice, but ran out of money and had to sell the bike.

Offline Greg Parish

• DAM Classic Racing
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 21:42 »
The scrutineers recognise the engine and frame as being fron 1982 and have detailed photos to compare them being visually different to the Series 1 and simply re-class as Period 5, albeit with a drum brake.
You could test the system I suppose, a lot of work to end up in P5 with a drun brake. Interesting to note the rules don't let the Kawasaki 900 into P4 either.

Excerpt from the Rule Book:
ALL CLASSES
The onus of proof of eligibility shall rest wholly upon the rider or entrant of the machine. Service and Parts Manual publication dates are not proof of eligibility. Entrants must enter their motorcycles at historic meetings quoting the year of manufacture.
The eligibility and dating of Historic motorcycles shall be considered in terms of major and minor components and the period of the motorcycle shall be the period of the latest major component.
For the purpose of these rules ‘year of manufacture’ is defined as the year in which:
a) For a road-based machine, the machine or its latest major component was first generally available for sale and delivery to the purchaser,
b) For a race bike, the year in which the machine or the latest major component first appeared in open competition.
The dating of replicated major components is defined as the year of manufacture of the original component being replicated. Major components are:
1.   a)  All engine and gearbox external castings,
2.   b)  Frames,
3.   c)  Swingarms,
4.   d)  Brakes,
5.   e)  Forks and fork yokes.
All other components shall be considered as minor components.

One interesting thing to note about the Irving Vincent is the use of the Gardner Flat Slide Carburettor. It is Period 4 compliant. It complicates engine start-up a little but is probably the best racing carb ever built.
DAM Classic Racing
Laverda Service and Spare Parts
http://www.laverdaparts.co.uk
http://www.damclassicracing.com.au

Offline Vince

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 23:16 »
There used to be a bike shop in Sydney called Omadies, been there since to dawn of time. They had a window display that I could look at for hours. All sorts of oddball 1950s and 60s pomey go faster stuff including really early mechanical fuel ingestion, Philips I think and those carbs. Time warp stuff, the shop closed sometime in the 80s and that window display was still there at the end. Little boxes with a description on a card next to it.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 00:01 »
The scrutineers recognise the engine and frame as being fron 1982 and have detailed photos to compare them being visually different to the Series 1

As far as I could tell, the scrutineers in Tassie are not that fussy. They're more interested in safety (wired sump plugs and such) than period compliance. Few of them would know what a Laverda is, let alone the difference between series 1 and 2. I reckon you'd only get looked at for compliance if you were winning races.

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 02:49 »
As far as I could tell, the scrutineers in Tassie are not that fussy. They're more interested in safety (wired sump plugs and such) than period compliance. Few of them would know what a Laverda is, let alone the difference between series 1 and 2. I reckon you'd only get looked at for compliance if you were winning races.

I think this is the point really, if just treating it as a social event and a fun thing to do with ones time, then nobody's too concerned.  Start beating people in the middle to upper order though and the grumbling starts real quick - even if the bike's legal.  Jerry Kooistra used to bring a whole filing cabinet of documentary evidence of his Honda twins to each race meeting as he would be protested regularly.  I don't think any of the protests were upheld, his bikes were just f-a-s-t.
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline LaverdaIan

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34 »
Just like the ICRSFC last time out Steve.. ;), good times and no protests. I reckon they just saw Mr D in action and went.." nope, just f-a-s-t..!!"
Best memory for me was at the Barry, wet and wild weekend, dark as late in the afternoon Friday, and no-one goes out.. except for Drmsby.. he's just racking data for the possible conditions over the weekend..
Won the weekend, including the inaugural Ken Wootton trophy.. now that is how it's done lads.. :P

8)

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 11:35 »
Just like the ICRSFC last time out Steve.. ;), good times and no protests. I reckon they just saw Mr D in action and went.." nope, just f-a-s-t..!!"
Best memory for me was at the Barry, wet and wild weekend, dark as late in the afternoon Friday, and no-one goes out.. except for Drmsby.. he's just racking data for the possible conditions over the weekend..
Won the weekend, including the inaugural Ken Wootton trophy.. now that is how it's done lads.. :P
 8)

There were plenty of grumblers, but thankfully no protests.  Had a guy from one of the opposition pits poring over the bike in the box, grumbling away about not being in the spirit of the rules, adjustable mapping and electronics and so forth.  I didn't bother telling him the wire from the 'MAP A,B,C,WET" rotary switch on the dash just went under the tank and stopped without attaching to anything.   :laugh:  Get the opposition focussing on your bike and they're not focussing on theirs.   :D  Yeah, Drmsby was just plain old fast.  Good times indeedy!
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline LaverdaIan

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 11:56 »
 ;D