Author Topic: Headlamp Internal Cleaning  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Gravelroad

Re: Headlamp Internal Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 19:58 »
To avoid the risk of damaging the reflector, or in case you have a unit that does not separate, try dental cleaner pills, the ones that start to bubble and fizzle when grandpa puts them together with his teeth in a glass of water before he goes to sleep. Don't know how they are branded elsewhere, here in Germany well known as 'Corega Tabs'.

We applied this trick successful many times in the past, when the TUEV disliked the blinded (not rusted) headlight reflectors on our 300,- wrecks, which we usually drove back then. I did this also on my sealed Japanese 8' Laverda headlight, and it came out like new.

Just drop 3 or 4 pills through the bulb opening, so they come to sit on the inside of the lens, then fill to the top with pretty warm water, then let the bubbles do their work and have it sitting for a few hours. After emptying out the broth, flush generously with tap water, finally flush with a good load of De-ionized water. Then dry out the headlight by using a hair dryer until its bone dry again.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 22:22 »
dental cleaner pills, the ones that start to bubble and fizzle when grandpa puts them together with his teeth in a glass of water before he goes to sleep.

I knew a girl that used a similar product, but for upset stomach .............. she never used a glass of water though, rather, inserted the pills before sex.
Curious, but oddly affective ....... so I'm told ;D
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 04:37 »
Hmmmmm ...... denture cleaner tablets here ..... I bet that if you used them as you say but rinsed with methanol (methylated spirits) that would remove all the water. Then a session with the hair dryer to finish off.
I have a Japanese headlamp I shall try that on first ...... see if I can start a fire!
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Grant

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37 »
Methanol is not methylated spirits.
That is around 95% Ethanol, then around 5% Methanol, with a trace of taste inhibitor like Bittrex or Pyridine to stop folk drinking it.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 06:11 »
Methanol is not methylated spirits.

I agree ..... but if you try to find methylated spirits here in Canada you will get strange looks asking in stores. If you try to search the net to see where you can purchase it you will get nowhere. Even if you search for the proper North American name .... denatured alcohol ..... you will get nowhere.
However ..... if you ask for methanol at the local auto parts store .... they will show you methyl alcohol ...... or branded methyl alcohol .... but when you read the label you will find it is methylated spirits and the methyl alcohol label is just the trade name.

I know this from spending an hour on the computer and driving to 5 different stores today. So much fun I had ..... not.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 06:53 »
That is around 95% Ethanol, then around 5% Methanol, with a trace of taste inhibitor like Bittrex or Pyridine to stop folk drinking it.

Sounds like the "Swedish White Whiskey" I was given on my first visit there....
 :-X
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline Grant

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 07:40 »
Don't drink Methanol, you WILL go blind.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline Shajota

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 10:06 »
dental cleaner pills, the ones that start to bubble and fizzle when grandpa puts them together with his teeth in a glass of water before he goes to sleep.

I knew a girl that used a similar product, but for upset stomach .............. she never used a glass of water though, rather, inserted the pills before sex.
Curious, but oddly affective ....... so I'm told ;D
:o :o Berocca might cause some second looks...………………………….!!!!!!!
PETER

Offline Gravelroad

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 11:02 »
Hmmmmm ...... denture cleaner tablets here ..... I bet that if you used them as you say but rinsed with methanol (methylated spirits) that would remove all the water. Then a session with the hair dryer to finish off.
I have a Japanese headlamp I shall try that on first ...... see if I can start a fire!

Jim, I have used water for rinsing, as I was not sure about ethanol probably messing up the seal between lens and reflector. Anyway, I'd recommend to make a test with that methyl, or whatever the stuff is named at your place, just to make sure that it evaporates off a clean surface w/o leaving any stains.

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 13:09 »
Denatured alcohol is what we used in hospital for cleaning mirrors, windows and stainless surfaces. I presume it doesn't leave too many traces.

It's not used anymore because some patients would steal it for their personnal use.

Paul

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 19:22 »
:o :o Berocca might cause some second looks...………………………….!!!!!!!

But it would help with your bb bounce.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 21:31 »
Denatured alcohol is what we used in hospital for cleaning mirrors, windows and stainless surfaces.

I thought hospitals use isopropyl alcohol for that sort of thing, as in Isowipes.

Offline Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 22:42 »
I thought hospitals use isopropyl alcohol for that sort of thing, as in Isowipes.

Used, as in past tense.
Now they would.

Paul