Author Topic: 18 inch Astralite Wheels  (Read 848 times)

Offline FNQ1000

Re: 18 inch Astralite Wheels
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 21:28 »
Hi Hooksey
This is a pretty small pool to be swimming in.

By the powers of Google and 30 seconds

https://picclick.co.uk/18-Inch-Astralite-Alloy-Rear-Motorcycle-Wheel-And-153126593420.html

Good luck, I'm sure they are out there.

Cheers
Jason

Online motoddrob

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 00:29 »
That looks like an early version given the number of rivets. My version has twice as many.
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 05:07 »
Do these float your boat Hooksey?

I've been toying with the idea of changing, so could perhaps be sweet talked into moving them on.  A warning, a lot of folks ask whether they're Honda comstars, which can get a little er....   :laugh:

Anyhow, they have the specially cast adapter for the stock Lav cush drive and at present are set up to take more modern brakes and stuff.  The totally modular nature of the hub arrangement means you can make flanges to suit any bearing or disk size you like.
They're the very late (best) stronger type with double rolled rims and 10x bolts on the rear wheel (original).  They've been powder coated silver over the original black anodise, but it might be possible to soda blast them back to the original anodise finish as per the method that works so well with old Brembo gear.  The anodise is hard enough that the soda doesn't touch it.  Only two owners, entire history known, probably <20,000km on them.

You could get a package deal with some period Forcelle Italia 42mm forks and an unfinished swingarm as per the one I built for the RGA if you liked.
Only thing is I wouldn't want to shift them until I got the new setup on there and that might take some time as it will involve some custom work as usual.

Sometimes fishing in small pools makes for an easy catch!  :)
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 05:23 »
Oooh ahhh......yes please Mr Batto  8)

I knew I'd get a bite.... as with fishing, patience is a virtue  :D

Will touch base this w/end..... hang by the Batt.....o phone  ;)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26 »
What's the benefit of Astralite wheels? They're not very attractive wheels if you ask me (and yes, I know you didn't ask  ::)) so I reckon you'd need some other reason to put those fugly things on a bike. Reasons like weight, strength, tyre size range?  Sounds like it's not longevity if they keep popping rivets outta the flanges.

If you want a lighter wheel than the original, I reckon GSXR wheels fit the purpose pretty well and look a whole lot better.

Offline breganzane

• SE Australia
    • Breganzane
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 05:45 »
Looks are subjective, and GSXR wheels are on every second Lav these days (and are also getting harder to find).
Astralites are an interesting bit of history, they may or may not be better than something else of the era but appeal to a certain audience.  So, much like our bikes really.   :laugh:
Various 120, 180 and 360 Laverdas - and a single.

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02 »
What's the benefit of Astralite wheels? They're not very attractive wheels if you ask me (and yes, I know you didn't ask  ::)) so I reckon you'd need some other reason to put those fugly things on a bike. Reasons like weight, strength, tyre size range?  Sounds like it's not longevity if they keep popping rivets outta the flanges.

If you want a lighter wheel than the original, I reckon GSXR wheels fit the purpose pretty well and look a whole lot better.

The Astralites are lighter still... by a long way!  And they add a nice period touch.

I'd suspect they were never meant for prolonged road use.  Guess they'd be strong enough for track use, but quickly find their limits on bumpy public highways, especially on heavy bikes such as the big Lavs.

I wouldn't mind a set of Astralites myself, but for peace of mind, I'll stick to the gixxer wheels for the time being.  They were at least made for road use.   The GSXR 1100 wasn't that light to begin with, its weight is up close to that of Lavs, so if it works there, it should work OK here.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Online motoddrob

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11 »
I like astralites but I only had 3.5" rear on the Motodd and was sort of looking for a front to match. Really wanted a 4" rear too so ended up with the gixxer1100 rims from Red.
Having found a solution to the rivet problem I wasn't worry about that fact if I had found a set. Anyway I'm glad I ended up with the gsxr rims as there is alot less mass to them when viewing from the side. Much better looking imho.
I'll keep my rear for my 750 project
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 23:52 »
Do these float your boat Hooksey?

A warning, a lot of folks ask whether they're Honda comstars, which can get a little er....   :laugh:

8) They look a bit like Comstars ....... are they off a Honda CB400? ;D

Frankly, I think Astralites are the most period horn wheels, all though, a nice set of Campo’s would be another choice choice Bro.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.