Author Topic: New guy and help with wiring  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Gerald

Re: New guy and help with wiring
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 17:36 »
aren't Wago connectors for solid wire only, and not inteded for stranded wire?

Regards
Gerald
__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline murphus

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 18:39 »
Nope. They say they can be used for "all" wire types and they show them being used with stranded wire.

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 19:35 »
There are different versions of pre-insulated connectors available. The telecommunications world uses them without any issues, even in automotive applications. Motorola i.e. uses them when installing comm equipment in public authority vehicles, and I've never heard of any failures related to the connectors. Depends on who is performing the work and which type of crimp tool and die size is being used. Scotch Locks on the other hand should not be used on our old clunkers....

Gerald

Gerald,

Those connectors might be fine when fitted with the correct equipment in a dry, vibe-free environment, something not often found on a Laverda, other when it's stood in a barn for a few years...  ;D

In one of my previous lives, I converted regular automobiles into taxis, with all the associating electrical equipment.  Pre-insulated connectors, in decent quality, were quite ample and never gave any trouble over the normal lifespan of a cab.

Normal motorcycle use involving moisture and vibration plays havoc with the open ended construction after a few months/years, insufficient wire clamping through use of sub-standard equipment is a further issue.

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline JotaRep

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 00:09 »
Thanks to all for your suggestions!  Love the stuff I am seeing and that's what I want mine to look like.  In my defense - those horrid connectors were actually done by an "automotive electric expert" who told me he could do the job and then fiddled around for 4 hour leaving me with the mess you see - I actually had to PAY him for that!  I had previously identified most of the major connection and had them connected and then the "expert" spent hours "tracing" the wires and it soon became obvious he didn't even know how to read a wiring diagram.   I am still mad at myself!   >:( Thanks for the links to suppliers - that's exactly what I needed.  I'll post some pics and may ask for more help.  Cheers!

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 15:04 »
These are easy, secure, waterproof and reusable. They do different versions for connecting multiple wires and tapping wires. The only drawback might be size if you’ve got a lot in a headlight ;)

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.
2015 Aprilia RSV4 racebike