Author Topic: EZ-Pull Clutch set up for Jota  (Read 1885 times)

Offline olly

Re: EZ-Pull Clutch set up for Jota
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 13:03 »
Right - I'm going down the 11.99 eBay route first...I'll report back of course - but it's going be a long long time in the future :( Bike sounds very poorly sick.

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 16:57 »
Sorry to hear you have elbow issues Wrongtrousers , i have the Dam racing EZ clutch set up on my Jota and i am very happy with it,made a world of difference to me and clutch pull is now very similar to my Japanese bikes.

Good luck with which ever route you choose  (bigthumb)

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 17:04 »
  Never liked the Hydraulic system as, having had a spill or two over the years and breaking a clutch lever or two - it's very cheap and quick to replace - especially when time is short between races etc. I've used the extended lever on all my bikes and, with a good adjuster on the handlebar end, don't suffer when the clutch heats up - just spin the adjuster a tad. Cables never break and no oil seals or cases ever give up the ghost. Due to my lack of wanting to throw loadsa money at my bikes I'm now using adjustable span Yam R1 levers and cables - dishing out a max of 20 for the lot. As for being a wimp - I just say that, due to my exceptionally fine breeding, I have small hands  ;D :D - Regards - Phil

Offline nick7

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 18:31 »
Go the whole hog and fit some cable operated brakes? :-*

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 19:21 »
Go the whole hog and fit some cable operated brakes? :-*

Not quite the whole Hog Nick - cable brakes don't work as well as hydraulic - cable clutches work better and ordinary owners can afford them too! - regards - Phil

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 19:27 »
I think you are being too hard on yourself Phil! You're not an ordinary owner!
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 20:34 »
I owned a 750 SFO for like 40+ years. The main reason that clutch cable gets stiff and breaks is DIRT in the Cable or dirty Clutch Disc's. That stupid Lead Plug in the Lever is a Big Culprit. GET RID of IT. Use a 3/8" stainless Nut, Drill a hole through it to match the cable dia - Leave the threads in the Nut. Round it to match the Lever hole push the cable through and splay it and fill the hole with either solder or lead - The cable will not Stretch through that crap lead plug witch eventually pulls throw.

Hang your cables approx every 3 years and drip varsol or SCOTCH through it and then ATF. Repair bruised or cracked plastic outer shell with Heat Shrink. If your cable is Kinked - Get a new cable.

All you need is your center Index Finger on your left hand to make a shift when the motor is running or just BANG IT - Different matter when the engine is not running.

Never had to change ANY cables on my SF0 in 40 years with a little maintenance.

That Clutch cable will break or pull throw that Lead Plug - Doesn't mean the cable is not repairable. Consider placing a spacer at the clutch arm as you are dealing whatever length of cable.

Always carry Vise Grips if you wanna get into neutral with a Breganzie after the clutch cable snaps at the Lever; other words,  use the Starter to get you moving ;o)

The SF has the same tranny as the the Jota.

Tell the truth the Breganzie Mechanical Clutch and Cable mechanism has to be one of BEST one finger levers I've ever used - Particularly at Hi-Revs - Just a twitch of your middle Left hand Index Finger.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 23:34 by Laverda SF »

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 07:04 »
When I bought my Jota 26 or so years ago, it came with a cable clutch assembly. I hated it from the first moment until now. The cable got longer and longer the hoter the engine got, there was a constantly changing release point of the clutch which you tried to compensate with that little adjuster wheel. Then you parked the bike, forgott to relax the system again and when you came back, the clutch cable had snapped. Great!

I changed everything to hydraulics once I got hold of a complete set. Since then, I only got stranded at the road side due to a leaking slave cylinder ones. Changed the O-Ring (which was in my wallet), pushed the bike to the next gas-station and got rid of the air in the system within 10 minutes. On one meeting, the ball in the slave-cylinder had given up. Cover off, removed the remainders of the old ball, put a new one in with lots of grease and put the cover back on. roughly 5 Minutes on the 1000 SFC.

Oh - one time, the mechanism welded itself together on the Jota and the overheated ball bearing in the slave piston drilled a hole into the piston (a common fault as a reslut of a dyno-session...). Asked a local guy if he could drill out that hole, cut a thread into it and glue a screw from the back side into it so its oil-tight. Done in 5 minutes, re-installed on a green-field, bleeded the sucker and off I went. I still have that piston, but exchanged it at home against a brand new one...

How many cables have people exchanged in 26 years of ownership? I have been to several Laverda-meetings and on tour with several other Laverda-riders. A broken clutch-cable road-side repair was always part of it. None of the hydraulic clutches ever broke during the meetings.

I love the hydraulic clutch system for 2 reasons: a) it does not change the actuation point and b) in combination with a 13mm pump, it is soooo much lighter while still precise.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:09 by Laverdalothar »
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Cosi

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 07:39 »
You carry a purse , I knew it  :-*
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 08:10 »
You carry a purse wallet, I knew it  :-*

(bleh) (germany)
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline nick7

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 08:35 »
Well in all honesty my cable clutch was pretty good...but it did get heavy in traffic..it was just that when i tried the hydraulic conversion at Keiths..well  believe me you wouldnt go back! So neat too..not noticeable except to the trained eye. After being stranded after a rented Suzuki 1150 fell off its stand and snapped the clutch lever right at the pivot..2 up with full luggage on way to Biker Classics at Spa, I carry a spare lever for all my bikes now...though i see that the bmw has a slot which i assume is designed to leave you enough to still operate with

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 09:01 »
I can't remember when I last broke a clutch cable, must be back in the 70s in my SF2 dazes
The extended lever set-up was fitted when I brought my TS1200 with and it has worked perfectly for 34 years.
The 750 SFC clutch is something else again :o Not for handbag carrying latte drinkers.
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Online Paul Marx

• Les motos de Paul
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 09:29 »
- Broke two cables since 1981, that equates to many hundreds of thousand km.

- Only had a friends cable break once on a collectif ride, in the wilds of western Scotland. His cable was very badly maintained to the point that the pull necessary striped the thread on the adjuster.

- All cable problems on a Laverda clutch are due to:
1: bad maintenance
2: bad cable routing
3: bad quality cable

- A clutch cable breaking on a parked bike needs reporting to the newspapers and police.

- If a hydraulic seal went, I couldn't push to the local petrol station because I often ride in places where finding petrol is an issue in itself!

I'll stick with my spare cable, cable tied to the one in place to save getting the tank off if....

Paul

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 09:32 »
The 750 SFC clutch is something else again :o Not for handbag carrying latte drinkers.

I fit the SFC750 spec clutch springs in all my Laverdas - with the easy pull cable clutch I once had one of my bikes that was being tested by a magazine described as "having a clutch that could be pulled in by the fingernail of a little finger". Slight exaggeration maybe - but - I've never broken a clutch cable with the extended lever set-up - Regards - Phil

Offline phil37

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 09:38 »
I think you are being too hard on yourself Phil! You're not an ordinary owner!

Not true - but thanks Simon - just trying to point out that many Laverda owners aren't able to, or can't justify, spending unlimited amounts on their bikes. - Regards - Phil