Author Topic: deja vue?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Yogi

• Wamberal NSW Australia
Re: deja vue?
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2018, 22:29 »
Good on you, Ron.  You live - and have lived - a full life.  More power to you..

Keep posting!

Yogi
Yogi

1973 750 SF1 #15300
1974 750 SF2 #16555
1979 600 Barcelona Replica
1981 1200 Mirage #3341
1988 OR600 Atlas Series 3
1972 Yamaha TR3/TZB 350

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2018, 22:48 »
Thanks Yogi:

Wish I had that Mini today because it was Dependable and FUN. Between my friends and I we totally destroyed it - One driver actually knocked the whole rear axle out of it while bob sledding through a railway maintenance yard and drove it to our general purpose garage (Mine) dragging it ass on a wooden toboggan. We repaired it using Tie Plates, Hydro Pole 1" cable and clamps to fasten the rear wheels back on  - LOL

The best way to drive a Mini is to keep the gas pedal to the floor and shift fast. Doesn't matter if your going straight,  sideways or backwards. Reverse was just about a useless gear in that thing ;o)

By the way; a gallon of St Pierre de Michael Moonshine was $25, a pound of Lebanese Hashes was $250, Peruvian Marching Powder and LSD Window Pane was cheap back in the 60's so where Fast Big V8 North American Pony Muscle cars - I bought my 70 750SF brand new for $1600 and a 70 Challenger Rally 340 MAG for $3200. I was 22 years old in 1970.

The thing was we were all College and University students with descent paying summer jobs. I feel sad for my children whom couldn't even cut a neighbors lawn without the Gov't stepping in saying they have to register a business and be insured which cost more then the kid could make in a summer. My Children LOST Freedom Big Time, lost the will and pride to succeed on their own unless they where part of an Institutionalized Social program in which Parenting was Lost.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 00:06 by Laverda SF »

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2018, 10:51 »
A little bit I envy you for this route.
 :)

After you have passed the Camarque following Craig suggestions, in the further course on the way
you could easily add the "Gorges du Verdon", the "Col de Turini" (known from Rally Monte Carlo)
and the "Col du Tende".

The guests from Australia will certainly not complain. At most for sections where you rarely need more
than the third gear.

Between Cuneo and Asti there is the lovely Langhe Roero area to pass.

The small roads will of course do the average no good and the overall trip time will easily increase to
26 to 28 hours. However, it should be doable in your four days schedule.

Looking forward seeing you in Breganze
 :D
Jo
Take people as they are - there aren't any others.

My Laverda pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/italobikes-v2jo/albums/72157690026363615

Online Ventodue

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2018, 15:59 »
Jo’s remarks are valuable, chaps.

What I would add is that you need to decide where you’re going to cross the Alps.  His route, i.e. keeping south before eventually heading north via Tende is the most reliable in the sense that the road will be open.  Your destination btw is the Italian town of Cuneo.

Personally, I prefer to turn north earlier and then go over by Isola 2000 and the Col de la Lombarde ...

This works if the snows have gone.  By July they should have.  This route also obliges you to go up the Gorges du Clans  ;D.

And then the Gorges de Valabres and the southern part of the Vallée de la Tinée ...  Decisions, decisions.   Life's tough, eh?

Offline a14rgs

• Wiltshire, U.K.
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2018, 16:13 »
Thanks Jo, great advice.

Bloody hell Craig, that looks dire, not a vehicle in sight..... ;D
Decisions, decisions - which route / which wine / which bike. Life is certainly tough! 8)
1983 RGS1000, 151000km, owned and loved since 1989 :-)
1977 Jota
"Grammar : the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit".

Offline pf1

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2018, 19:09 »
I've been over the Isola 2000 one, saw a marmot too ha ha!
Spain is sorted, France is next.
Al, you can do the next bit if you like, I'm having xmas off  :D

Offline TC

« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2018, 19:16 »
Bloody hell that all looks stunning :)
Are we going through there Pat? are we are we...
too exited
Tom
Most of that will polish out...

74 3c
74 BMW R90S

Offline Vince

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2018, 22:10 »
It's a shock to us Ozzies the first time we see a proper Mountain,ours are so old there warn down to bumps.

Offline LJ

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2018, 22:16 »
Get your clutch hands exercised  ;D
1986 RGA Jota Sprint 
1974 3C
1973 750GT              
1971  750SF 

I was born to make mistakes,not to fake perfection

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2018, 06:12 »
Get your clutch hands exercised  ;D

:'( I’m right handed.....
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline pf1

« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2018, 08:01 »
Bloody hell that all looks stunning :)
Are we going through there Pat? are we are we...
too exited
Tom

We can go wherever you want Tom, bear in mind we might have to make very good time on other sections of the route to fit these places in.

Online Ventodue

« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2018, 08:22 »
we might have to make very good time on other sections of the route to fit these places in.

The section between Cuneo and Breganze can - and should - be done quick.  Flat and boring agricultural land.

Autostrada all the way, I'm afraid  >:( (and I didn't think I'd ever say that).  Makes you understand why Italians like things, normally 4-wheeled, that go fast in straight lines  ;)

Either via Turino/Milano or by Alessandria/Piacenza.  Neither has anything to recommend them  :(.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:30 by Ventodue »

Online Ventodue

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44 »
It's a shock to us Ozzies the first time we see a proper Mountain,ours are so old there warn down to bumps.

Understand, Vince.  A mate of mine from WA used to come over to Europe just to run our Ducati singles up and down the  mountains  :D.  Watching  him ride his 125 up the inside of a load of over-laden BMWs as they struggled to negotiate yet another hairpin had me laughing like a drain ...

Good times.

Offline Vince

« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2018, 08:55 »
Seeing my first Mountain happened while driving to Salt Lake City on Hwy 50 and arriving at night and asking what those big things were pocking up out of the desert  next to the road.Driving to Whistler was even better.

Offline Jo

• Cologne, Germany
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42 »
@Craig:  As you stated, there are many options where to cross the Alps. And great pictures – will help to get
them hooked on ...
 ;D

The section between Cuneo and Breganze can - and should - be done quick.  Flat and boring agricultural land.

Autostrada all the way, I'm afraid  >:( (and I didn't think I'd ever say that).  Makes you understand why Italians like
things, normally 4-wheeled, that go fast in straight lines  ;)

Either via Turino/Milano or by Alessandria/Piacenza.  Neither has anything to recommend them  :(.

It depends. I mentioned Roero and Langhe in my previous post. And there is the chance to go through villages like Barolo …
 8)

Between Alessandria and Piacenza they could go via Nebbiano (Val Tidone), or, just bypass this on the A21 …

Overall it’s all down to their time frame, weather conditions, etc. But I understood from the earlier posts that this
should be going to be a lifetime experience …
 :)

I have drafted the complete route in either .gpx or .itn files. Whom shall I send them to ..?
 8)

Cheers
Jo

Take people as they are - there aren't any others.

My Laverda pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/italobikes-v2jo/albums/72157690026363615