Author Topic: Grimeca front brake vibration  (Read 1186 times)

Offline helicopterjim

Re: Grimeca front brake vibration
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 18:21 »
Not surprised ...... after I posted i realised it would a lot of "I,m right ....... NO, I'm right" ...... oh well.
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline Vince

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 02:48 »
As lots including me have reversed the callipers Piet whats the correct tightening technic for that, I might have a 2mm washer in my 3c evening up the fork spacings off the legs.

Offline Legs

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 03:52 »
Can't see that there would be any difference, basically everything has been rotated 180 degrees, could be a problem with the speedo drive though.

Offline Vince

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 04:20 »
You would think but I think its again the step in the axel. Without this extra washer and the callipers behind, one of the discs touches the fork leg.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11 »
Can't see that there would be any difference, basically everything has been rotated 180 degrees, could be a problem with the speedo drive though.

It's OK Terry, we all make little mistakes. On my drive north on Sunday, I was wondering why my electronic speedo was way out of kilter. Like, at about 60kph, it reads 40. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. When I replaced the weak 5mm dia magnet, I replaced it for a magnet about 15mm dia ............... no wonder there's a discrepancy.  ::)
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Legs

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 06:33 »
Ha Ha. I recently replaced the bicycle speedo on the Yellow Peril; mounted the pick-up the same way as the previous one, that is, in line with the magnets's rotation. Wondered why the bike suddenly doubled it's speed. Turns out that the new pick-up had to be mounted at 90 degrees to the magnet's rotation.
Would changing the calipers from behind the stanchions to in front, or vice versa also require mounting the speedo drive on the other side, and if so , won't the speedo run backwards  ::) Great if you are selling the bike and want to reduce the mileage :laugh:

Offline chrisk

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 06:47 »
Would changing the calipers from behind the stanchions to in front, or vice versa also require mounting the speedo drive on the other side, and if so , won't the speedo run backwards  ::)

:laugh: How quickly the brain goes to gel once a person retires. Go prune the roses, again. ;D
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Online sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 06:54 »
As lots including me have reversed the callipers Piet whats the correct tightening technic for that, I might have a 2mm washer in my 3c evening up the fork spacings off the legs.

Exactly.  A spacer is required to simulate the space that is normally at the RH slider in order to centre the wheel in the forks.  In this case, I slim down the LH spacer to allow the (now) LH slider to find its sweet spot.  Tightening sequence remains the same, just that you start from the opposite side.

Terry, the speedo drive remains where it belongs...

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline chrisk

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 06:57 »
Terry, the speedo drive remains where it belongs...

piet

It's OK Piet, he didn't have his Nanna nap today  ;D

Offline Legs

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 07:13 »
I was trying to figg ;)er out how you could do it without additions or modifications

Offline Simon Y

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 08:08 »
Great - a few more entries like these and most will have forgotton my dumb beggining to this thread ::) ;D ;Dl .
Series 2 180 Jota
750 Breganze
1200 Anniversary (previous)

Offline Legs

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37 »
Sorry, what was the question?  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline chrisk

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30 »
Great - a few more entries like these and most will have forgotton my dumb beggining to this thread ::) ;D ;Dl .

Something about a vibration... at your front end.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 18:08 »
74 SFC
72 SF
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175

Chilliwack, British Columbia