Author Topic: Oz Auto Electrics  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
Oz Auto Electrics
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:20 »
Oz Auto Electrics https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/ is a useful source for electrical parts.

They have a good range of auto electrical stuff including various colours and sizes of cable, connectors, batteries, fuses, fuse holders, relays, lighting stuff, tools, etc. and they sell worldwide. Prices are generally OK and they have a flat rate of $15 for shipping within Australia, so the more stuff you buy in one shipment the better deal you get. If you spend over $250 then shipping is free.

I ordered a bunch of stuff on line at about 3pm yesterday. I got update emails at every stage of the order processing and transport. The package arrived at 1pm today. That's less than 24 hours from Hervey Bay in Queensland to Tasmania. It wouldn't have got here much quicker if someone from the store had jumped in a taxi to the airport, flown to Hobart and delivered it personally to my door. Excellent service.

I probably could have bought all the stuff I needed locally, but it would have cost more in fuel driving around various electrical suppliers than the $15 shipping from Oz Auto Electrics.

Offline Brett

Re: Oz Auto Electrics
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 20:06 »
Yes agree they are not a bad mod to do business with and yep speedy service indeed.  (bigthumb)

I might have to move to Hobart !!
I ordered some stuff from Melbourne day before yesterday, paid express for it and still waiting tick tock tick tock... lucky not hanging by my curly ones.. 
So your stuff from Qld to Tassie in quicker that I can get stuff from Melbourne to Sydney, go figure :o
Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Offline redax5

• Administrator
  • All 81's, a fine year indeed
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 20:28 »
we used to buy fresh cooked Lobster from a mob in Tassie called Lobster Direct
they would catch the Lobsters that night, fresh cooked in the morning, on a plane to QLD, would arrive at our Post Office just before noon
from Lobster pot to the table in less than 12 hours, fresh Lobster on ice, was a great deal but they seem to have gone bust

we certainly tried to keep them in business, had weekly Lobster deliveries every time I was home on break

Redax Drilling Consultants, confirmed Laverda tragic's
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline Yogi

• Wamberal NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 21:36 »
we used to buy fresh cooked Lobster from a mob in Tassie called Lobster Direct
they would catch the Lobsters that night, fresh cooked in the morning, on a plane to QLD, would arrive at our Post Office just before noon
from Lobster pot to the table in less than 12 hours, fresh Lobster on ice, was a great deal but they seem to have gone bust

we certainly tried to keep them in business, had weekly Lobster deliveries every time I was home on break

What a treat that would have been!
Yogi

1973 750 SF1 #15300
1974 750 SF2 #16555
1979 600 Barcelona Replica
1981 1200 Mirage #3341
1988 OR600 Atlas Series 3
1972 Yamaha TR3/TZB 350

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:42 »
And those big spiny lobsters are the best. Beautiful moist sweet meat unlike their northern Australian cousins. Used to dive for them in Esperance.

They used to be dirt cheap because most folk reckoned they were too big but then the bloody Chinese got onto them, the bigger the better for central dish at a wedding, and the prices have skyrocketed. The boss was down in Esperance a month ago and was going to buy one but at > $60 a kg gave it a miss.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:49 by Davo »
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:25 »
Not sure why people rave so much about lobsters. They're nice enough, but not so delicious that I'd pay crazy prices for them. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever bought a lobster in my life, except perhaps as a meal in a restaurant.

A mate of mine goes crayfishing* reasonably regularly and sometimes gives me one, which I appreciate.

(*While the local salt water variety is generally called crayfish, it's actually spiny or rock lobster. True crayfish is a fresh water animal) 

I used to go snorkelling off the rocks for crays and abalone, but I haven't done that for probably 30 years. I don't think they're as plentiful as they used to be in the waters around Hobart.

Offline redax5

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 23:36 »
when I worked in Pakistan some of the holes we drilled were down near the coast line near the Indian border
I was in the habit of buying a goat each weekend for the crew so they could do a barby night which they always appreciated, figured small cost to me to stay on their safe side and hopefully I would not get kidnapped.
Our BP Drilling Manager and his driver were actually kidnapped while driving between my rig and the 2nd rig about 30 klms away at one stage

If we were near the coast I'd gather my 10 x personal Border Guards and we would convoy down to the local fishing village instead to buy fish for the crew as a change
While there saw this big bucket full of medium size Lobsters, asked how much they were and they were US$0.20 each as no one wanted them
As Lobsters are mainly bottom feeders the locals considered them to be the pigs of the sea so I used to buy a bag full of Lobsters for myself and have a feast on the weekend

was lucky actually as the food at the rig mess during the week looked and tasted like road kill cooked up  :o

sorry for thread hijack
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 23:17 »
At 1770 a bunch of us had thrown crab pots in the night before, about 6:00am we launched my boat at the boat ramp. An old bloke was sitting in his tinny, with a gas cooker and a big cooking pot set up in the boats anchor hold.

He was chowing down on freshly cooked muddies, and washing it down with a can of VB. A breakfast of kings.

I said to the old bloke " when I grow up, I want to be just like you" he gave a big  ;D

8 empty pots were pulled in  :( when we returned to the boat ramp, the old fella had loaded his boat onto his trailer, and was driving off ........ when one of our crew pointed out, there we no pots in his boat  :o we ascertained the old bugger our poached our pots.

There are some aspects of the old blokes lifestyle I no longer wanted to emulate.

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle theres no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline redax5

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 23:28 »
8 empty pots were pulled in  :( when we returned to the boat ramp, the old fella had loaded his boat onto his trailer, and was driving off ........ when one of our crew pointed out, there we no pots in his boat  :o we ascertained the old bugger our poached our pots.

you may find that the old fellow was just using a coat hanger to pull the Muddies out of their holes and grab them by hand
my Grandfather used to catch Muddies that way just above 1770 at Baffle Creek, we had a fishing shack there when I was young
he also still had the scars on his hands from when he was learning that catch method  :o

stuff that, prefer crab pots
near Brisbane, Australia

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:16 »
I still use that method for muddies, wire hook or gaff to get them out of the hole, put your foot on them from behind and pick them up by the claws.

BTW, love 1770. Only been there once for a week but jeez it was a great spot. A throwback to the quiet coastal towns of my youth.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline SimonR501

• Lympne, Kent, UK
    • Simons Flickr site
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07 »
Good job you didn't beat him up Chris!
Laverda Jota 120 - 1982.
LG F1495BDA Direct Drive Washing Machine.
Black & Decker GLC3630L20 36v Cordless Telescopic Grass Trimmer.
SimonR501 Flickr Photos.http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonr501

Offline GregT

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 22:02 »
I was reluctant to jump in with a crayfish story - but the thread's long gone...

A good mate of mine is a keen fisherman and free diver. He tells me that French Pass in the Marlborough Sounds is the crayfish equivalent of a retirement home...
It's got a pretty stiff tidal flow so plenty of feed without their having to move far. He's pulled crays which measured well over a meter in body length. They're useless for eating - too old and tough - so it's take a photo and toss it back.

There's been a few divers lost in that area too so not many people see them. Low water is about the only safe time to dive there.