Author Topic: What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?  (Read 128112 times)

Offline Beucars

• VIA THEMA
Re: What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?
« Reply #1710 on: April 17, 2019, 18:40 »
@Legs

thanks for posting, and would be interested in more pictures.

I've send you a PM with a link for the zip file download.

Regards,
jeroen

Legs

« Reply #1711 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21 »
Thanks Jeroen, much appreciated.

Offline Tyrone

« Reply #1712 on: April 20, 2019, 17:40 »
Not today but yesterday, did about 300 miles on the mirage around mid Wales and parts of England. Called into the old Slaters place, shame to see it all closed up but times move on. The Mirage run great all day 😊.
Laverda Mirage
Laverda SF 1
Honda VFR 750FG
Triumph 5TA 500
Triumph t120v (oil in frame)
Moro Morini 500 Camel
Moro Morini 350 Strada

Offline Tyrone

« Reply #1713 on: April 21, 2019, 23:52 »
Another couple of hundred miles today up to the bike racing in Towyn (Tonfanau race course). Breathtaking scenery on the ride and lovely sounds from my mirage and friends' Norton Commando mk111, BSA spitfire, Triumph Thruxton (new version) and BMW R90s with open pipes. Great day.
Laverda Mirage
Laverda SF 1
Honda VFR 750FG
Triumph 5TA 500
Triumph t120v (oil in frame)
Moro Morini 500 Camel
Moro Morini 350 Strada

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #1714 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28 »
Fitted the replacement starter motor to my Corsa - thanks to Wolfgang, Greg and Piet for bits and advice - took it out for a short spin, all ok.

Now just got to:
Pick up the repainted side panels, weld modified brackets onto the Hepco & Becker carrier so it doesn't gouge into them, set-up the new shox properly, check/adjust valves and chains, change the fork springs and oil (ignoring the worn head bearings  ;)), reset the carbs ...

... And all will be ready for Breganze!

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #1715 on: April 29, 2019, 18:06 »
Met up with some other Laverda riders yesterday,certainly adding a splash of colour to the area  8)

Schurmy

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #1716 on: April 30, 2019, 00:45 »
You get some absolute gems in the world of DPOs (Dickhead Previous Owners, for the uninitiated) but I reckon my #2 bike frame has evidence of one of the kings of the trade (almost as good as the primary chaincase on the SF i worked on where the DPO had bored a 20mm hole in it ... supposedly so they could 'feel' the primary chain tension  :-\).

My frame came from Vic Wreckers and the masterful PO had used a ball-peen hammer to 'modify' the frame tube so they could get the big ol' battery out (can only assume that's why they did it!?! Why the fu#@ else?!). It's always bugged me so while I'm doing other stuff to the bare frame I decided to grind it out, straighten the tube (yes, the hammering had succeeded in curving it!!) and make a piece to fit in to be welded and hopefully cleaned up to almost invisible.

What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #1717 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03 »
Q, I’m surprised that the inside of the tube wasn’t rusty, it looks very clean in there.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #1718 on: April 30, 2019, 02:44 »
It won't rust if the tube is sealed and air can't get in.

Offline chrisk

« Reply #1719 on: April 30, 2019, 08:46 »

Well, that tube has an half open end, where the smaller dia guard loop is welded in.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #1720 on: April 30, 2019, 12:48 »
Haven't gone out into the shed to check, but I think the half open end is the main top tube that comes down from the headstock. Yes, pretty clean in there, but strangely enough I found a lot of rust inside one of the small tubes that form the pillion rear triangle - should be totally sealed. That's part of another of the many frame jobs on my list. Getting close to weld time - I'm excited!

What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline chrisk

« Reply #1721 on: April 30, 2019, 20:01 »
It is my mistake, I thought it was the main top tube pictured.

Davo

« Reply #1722 on: May 01, 2019, 02:01 »

Air can't get out either. Unless they fill the tube with an inert gas there will always be air inside it, sealed or not. Perhaps you mean the ingress of moisture?

Offline Tippie

« Reply #1723 on: May 01, 2019, 06:39 »
As the SF frame is made from water pipe that would seem natural.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #1724 on: May 01, 2019, 07:30 »
Perhaps you mean the ingress of moisture?

Well, er ... no. I did actually mean air. This is what was going through my brain at the time ...

Rust is iron oxide (mostly Fe2O3) so oxygen has to be present to make rust. Air is about 21% oxygen. In a sealed tube there's a finite supply of oxygen and not all of it will dissociate into ions to be available to react with the iron in the steel. The oxidation reaction will proceed until it reaches equilibrium and then stop as the available O-2 ions are depleted.  I'd guess that the amount of rust produced would barely be noticeable.

It's true that the rust reaction is greatly assisted by the presence of liquid water as a medium in which the oxygen can dissolve (ionise), but I think it's safe to assume there wouldn't be any liquid water sloshing around inside a frame tube. It may be present as vapour in the encapsulated air, but water vapour only makes up around 2% of air, so the oxygen in the water vapour wouldn't play a big part in the rust reaction.

Someone who knows chemistry will come along in a minute and tell me I've got it all wrong.  ::)