Author Topic: What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?  (Read 159220 times)

Offline CLEMTOG

Re: What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?
« Reply #1740 on: May 06, 2019, 12:04 »
Aus obviously differs from the UK
which can have distribution steam lines in screwed iron (but not with malleable fittings) as well as welded iron, pressures are generally restricted at boiler house exit, condensate lines (returns) were in my lifetime done in table 1 copper (which is threaded as well, not many around who can still do that!) later they were still in copper (table 3 then table X) but with silver soldered gunmetal fittings, today both stream and condense are being installed in thin wall stainless with hydraulic crimped fittings and ....but blow dows in seamless??? why???
LPHW central heating of almost any bore size is being installed in thermic welded plastic and for domestic use push fit plastic.

No wonder I have got 4 tons of pipework screwing, bending, welding plant that is now worthless, I was asked to bend a piece of heavy barrel the other day and couldn't even find the bender! (it is beyond reach in a corner of a shed full of 60 tons of scaffold piled in front of it)

CLEM

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #1741 on: May 06, 2019, 18:33 »
Getting back on thread ... (Reckon we need a separate topic, "Gas and Steam Pipe Engineering" ...  :P)

Checked the clearances, adjusted the cam chain ...

I've never been prepared so early for a meet (Breganze).  What could possibly go wrong?  :-\  :o

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #1742 on: May 06, 2019, 18:39 »
No wonder I have got 4 tons of pipework screwing, bending, welding plant that is now worthless, I was asked to bend a piece of heavy barrel the other day and couldn't even find the bender! (it is beyond reach in a corner of a shed full of 60 tons of scaffold piled in front of it)

FFS, Clem!  Call in the scrappers, why don't you!  You don't wanna be going leaving all that to your hard-working heirs to clear up!

Or maybe you do .... ?  ::)

And there's sure to be a bit of money in them there useless, rusting piles of ..., no?

See in Breganze, btw  :-*

Craig

Offline Smiddy

« Reply #1743 on: May 15, 2019, 22:30 »
First outing for the Mongrel after a wee winter fettle.

NE Scotland

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #1744 on: May 16, 2019, 03:05 »
Aus obviously differs from the UK
which can have distribution steam lines in screwed iron (but not with malleable fittings) as well as welded iron, pressures are generally restricted at boiler house exit, condensate lines (returns) were in my lifetime done in table 1 copper (which is threaded as well, not many around who can still do that!) later they were still in copper (table 3 then table X) but with silver soldered gunmetal fittings, today both stream and condense are being installed in thin wall stainless with hydraulic crimped fittings and ....but blow dows in seamless??? why???
LPHW central heating of almost any bore size is being installed in thermic welded plastic and for domestic use push fit plastic.

CLEM

We had boiler (x 2) annual inspections and the inspector found a section of blowdown line had been replaced with a gal elbow, he hit the roof and would not sign boiler off until replaced with seamless pipe and fittings.

We had a few boilers in Australia blow just before that time, one (a little 250hp CB) killed 6 people in a factory and rules and regulations became very stringent after that.

Anyway, I like the look of the bitsa.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Offline Grant

« Reply #1745 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22 »
First outing for the Mongrel after a wee winter fettle.

Digging the new paint job.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline Bigfeesh

• Alreet?
« Reply #1746 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08 »
Just completing a three day soak of citric acid to clean rust from the fuel tank, a fish tank heater + sunshine seem to be working well as I can now see shiny steel through the filler hole. I'll give it a bi carb soak afterwards to ensure the reaction is stopped.  Tiptop!
   I had another hard lesson while servicing the other bike, the plastic funnel I was using to fill the engine oil, shattered at the small end, dropping several large pieces of plastice into the engine! Needing a strip down of the clutch side, three casings, 25 quids worth of gaskets and two days wasted, all due to a 50p crappy funnel, bugger!
Soon my pretty, soon.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #1747 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42 »
Just completing a three day soak of citric acid to clean rust from the fuel tank, a fish tank heater + sunshine seem to be working well as I can now see shiny steel through the filler hole. I'll give it a bi carb soak afterwards to ensure the reaction is stopped.  Tiptop!
   I had another hard lesson while servicing the other bike, the plastic funnel I was using to fill the engine oil, shattered at the small end, dropping several large pieces of plastice into the engine! Needing a strip down of the clutch side, three casings, 25 quids worth of gaskets and two days wasted, all due to a 50p crappy funnel, bugger!
Sheesh! Must be totally shite quality plastic! It used to be flexible stuff for anything like a funnel - I wonder where the brittle nasty was made???!!!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Ventodue

« Reply #1748 on: May 16, 2019, 11:41 »
I've never been prepared so early for a meet (Breganze).  What could possibly go wrong?  :-\  :o

And the answer wasn't a long time a-coming ...   :P

400 kms yesterday, back brake m/c seal failed.  So in the, "Irritating, but not drastic", category  :)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:43 by Ventodue »

Offline sweetas

• in context....
« Reply #1749 on: May 21, 2019, 04:28 »
New record broken on the Weekend!!   Cost $32 to fill the Jota with 98ulp.  First time >$30... whoohooo!  ::)
79 Jota - No. 6256

Opinions are the medium between knowledge and ignorance...   Plato

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #1750 on: May 21, 2019, 08:24 »
I took my bike for a quick spin today, 3 weeks after my hernia rebuild, that blew out after 8 years (not covered under warranty)

It wasn’t pleasant. I think the SFC type seating position is not very kind to my internals, yet. FFS, I have about 800K’s to kill with JohnK this weekend  :(
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there’s no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

Online Vince

« Reply #1751 on: May 21, 2019, 08:33 »
Maybe a Kidney belt might help support you. when I was a kid comedians used to joke about something called a Truss, whatever the hell that is. Dainese does a combination back protector kidney belt that I used on the Dirtbikes, really comfy with great support.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:44 by Vince »

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #1752 on: May 21, 2019, 14:02 »
So in preparation for a trip to Dijon later in the month i manufactured and fitted my new sat nav mounting bracket to the Jota,using the existing fairing mounting points i'm rather pleased with how it looks and sits.

Three of us are planning to visit the Coupes moto legende event,2 on laverdas and hopefully all being well we will be able to join in with the Laverda 70th celebrations and take part in the parade lap.

Our first euro trip on the bikes it is sure to be an adventure!

Schurmy

Offline Schurminater

« Reply #1753 on: May 21, 2019, 14:20 »
One more  8)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 15:55 by Schurminater »

Offline Sir Sidney Ruffdiamond

• Aged Rocker I keep banging my head
« Reply #1754 on: May 21, 2019, 17:50 »
Thats look smart !  8)

- have changed the O ring in the bottom or the reservoir on Joan Collins today  - thanks to Paddy for sending one in double quick time and Mr B for telling me i did'nt have to bleed it again which is a slight faff