Author Topic: Weather where you are?  (Read 76131 times)

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
Re: Weather where you are?
« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2020, 23:56 »
Too true about the wildlife loss and its consequences. I heard a professor of environmental science or some such who has studied in great depth the efficacy of cold or controlled burns. Window of opportunity diminishing considerably every year aside, he said the evidence is clear that it is patently ineffective and very damaging, especially over the long term. I'm going to try and find it as a podcast and relisten, because I can't remember the details and I was very impressed by the fact-based explanations he gave.

I keep seeing the old heads arguing that the fires are worse and harder to control because we don't have enough controlled burns but it simply isn't true. Maybe close to towns, but then an ember attack 10km ahead of a fire storm is probably going to negate the effects of controlled burns. And how do you do a controlled burn on an area the size of Denmark - and expanding by the hour.
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #796 on: January 12, 2020, 00:33 »
Was that guy name Kimberly Dixon by any chance Q ?
I've also read a little bit about controlled burns and now the science is saying that it's more destructive to the environment. They like to burn here every 7-10 years which isn't long enough for the bush to regenerate fully.
Apparently where the fires have burned into bush that hasn't been burned for many decades it has slowed the fires down. I see it in my own bush where I've cleared around the house the moister that's in the humus. Burn that humus and you end up with dry earth along with killing all the insects that live in it breaking down all the leaf/sticks and limb litter that collects.
Leaf and limb matter doesn't stop falling and there's nothing left to break it down, the ground is dry and you have a major fire hazard.

Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Tippie

« Reply #797 on: January 12, 2020, 07:04 »
Your point about the mulch is normally effective Rob. However the extreme temperatures this summer has brought in Australia has totally dried even old wet forest areas through their mulch and even into the soil. So that even these forests that have never burned before went up like kindling. The blackfellas had been doing burns long before whitefella came and wrecked the place, but apparently they didn't have 49 degree spring weather.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2020, 13:59 »
Your right Lee, the rain forest are even burning!!

Ya fucked if you do and ya fucked if you don't :)
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline 78jotadave

« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2020, 05:17 »
As we are all aware tropical rainforests of Brazil have been burning for years, some of it is controlled a lot isn't.  Naturally regenerating tropical forests take about 20 years for forest cover to come back after a fire.

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #800 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03 »
Australia, Brazil, California, Southern Europe and occasionally Russian tundra.

Paul

Offline Andy J

« Reply #801 on: January 13, 2020, 20:22 »
Fires in Madeira this Christmas/new year which is pretty unusual for this time of year. We didn’t experience any rain in the two weeks, when we would normally expect at least a few wet days.
An ‘inzane’ number of Zanes (all of which could run)
10 from Breganze (all of which can run)
Several other project bikes
1 x BMW C600 Sport Highline maxi scooter (for comfort and reliability)
1 x Benelli Tre Tornado 900 (cos it should have been the ‘new’ Jota)

Offline Vince

« Reply #802 on: January 14, 2020, 17:15 »
A couple of years back Indonesia had crazy fires as well, a mate who spent his life as a pro firey volunteered to help organise the locals around there Oragatan area as the fires were threatening their habitat. This is so tough on the wildlife, with diminished areas and huge pressures without major fires

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
  • the older I get, the faster a rider I used to be
« Reply #803 on: January 17, 2020, 02:39 »
forecast is for the temperature to hit minus 41 Celsius here overnight tonight. It is so cold out everything is kind of crunchy, extreme cold alerts issued by the weather networks, warnings as to how fast exposed flesh will freeze, etc. Happens every year around this time, every year it is yet another shock at how extreme this weather is. I filled the bird feeder to the top again tonight with high energy cracked sunflower seeds, hordes of birds flocking to the feeder, don't know how they survive these temperatures....

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
79 1200 Mirage, 82 1200 Mirage, 84 RGS Executive, and various non Laverda's

Offline Grant

« Reply #804 on: January 17, 2020, 02:46 »
They can't be too clever or they would migrate south.
Check out my FB page, clublaverda.com

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #805 on: January 17, 2020, 03:46 »
Blimey. Not even penguins put up with that sort of weather (well, maybe emperor penguins, but they're masochists).

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #806 on: January 19, 2020, 22:53 »
Blimey. Not even penguins put up with that sort of weather (well, maybe emperor penguins, but they're masochists).

I got off the plane from Melbourne Satdy arvo: A thick wall of humidity hit me, welcome back to Brisbane.
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #807 on: January 21, 2020, 04:50 »
Jim: Looks like Harry needs a job and he's a Helicopter Pilot - Teach him our Ways ;o)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:54 by Laverda SF »
North Shore Lake Huron, Ontario Canada, home town Capreol just north of Sudbury Ontario. Presently living in Spanish.

I cannot list the motorcycles I've worked on or ridden - Just too many.

The thing is: I loved to race and I'm still alive. Gotta say that 70 SFO 750 Breganzie is a racer.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #808 on: January 21, 2020, 06:04 »
Jim: Looks like Harry needs a job and he's a Helicopter Pilot - Teach him our Ways ;o)

Pffftt. He wouldn't work in an Iron Lung.
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #809 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28 »
Pffftt. He wouldn't work in an Iron Lung.

Actually I reckon he quite likes a bit of hard work. Good luck to him shoving the whole royal thing (he's gonna need it - the paaprazz will absolutely LOVE this - even after what they did to his mum!). Deep down he obviously believes it's a toss, same as we all do.
What ... leave it standard??!!