Author Topic: Weather where you are?  (Read 76127 times)

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
Re: Weather where you are?
« Reply #765 on: December 28, 2019, 04:51 »
Hi Cam I was reading its Tassies turn for the next heatwave on Monday and Tuesday. 40c for Hobart soon.

Yep. Not looking forward to it. I thinking of going for a bike ride, but might stay indoors with my pissy little air-con unit going flat-out.
Some brain-dead idiot will probably light a fire somewhere. Usually happens on hot and windy days.

Offline Vince

« Reply #766 on: December 28, 2019, 04:58 »
I was just reading about some insane 71-year-old farmer who was charged and bailed for lighting a fire on Boxing day, total fire ban day, burning rubbish or clearing land and it got away and burned 40 hectares, brain dead idiot.

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #767 on: December 28, 2019, 05:12 »
We must have had a storm early this morning. According to the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race tracker, the line honours winner, Commanche, has been blown ashore about 100m.  ;)

I was actually woken up at a bit before 7am by the racket of a helicopter just above my house, rattling my windows. Got up to see what was going on and Commanche was about 50m offshore right outside my house, with a throng of spectator and media boats, and 3 helicopters hovering above. Then she tacked across to the finish line on the other side of the Derwent Estuary. Quite an impressive sight. If I'd had my phone in my hand at the time, I would have taken a photo.

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #768 on: December 28, 2019, 05:52 »
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4742941

Dellortoman: I grew up with PBY's scooping tanks off my front porch (Dock) in Northern Ontario fighting Forest Fires. Today there's not much left - Practicably no forest, all the water is brown, no fish and not much wildlife - Very Sad.

Not saying Forest Fires were the cause but Timbering, Mining and Human Intervention IS !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:23 by Laverda SF »
North Shore Lake Huron, Ontario Canada, home town Capreol just north of Sudbury Ontario. Presently living in Spanish.

I cannot list the motorcycles I've worked on or ridden - Just too many.

The thing is: I loved to race and I'm still alive. Gotta say that 70 SFO 750 Breganzie is a racer.

Offline Dellortoman

« Reply #769 on: December 28, 2019, 06:23 »
I grew up with PBY's scooping tanks off my front porch in Northern Ontario fighting Forest Fires.

Had to google PBY. It means Patrol Bomber code Y. The code referring to the aircraft type, in this case Y = Consolidated Aircraft Catalina.
I don't think PB codes are used in Australia.

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #770 on: December 28, 2019, 06:30 »
Yes the Consolidated PBY Catalina - They were lots of them in Northern Ontario when I was young. From the prop wash I can tell it's a PBY when it's 20 miles away. I use to surf her wake in a 15 ft canoe then paddle to the Gov't dock and help the Lands and Forest to load her with Drums of Fuel and yes I flew on them back in the mid 50's into early 60's as a volunteer Fire Fighter - Other being young and adventurous, I new the territory better then the crew. 

I hopped around northern Ontario lakes and ponds in J3 Cub with my Dad.

Working for the L&F or a Lodge as a kid paid penitence compared to guiding American Tourist, playing pool or a piano in a Northern Ontarian Lodge (Most of all it was the People).

Northern Ontario was and still a great place to live but it's shrinking FAST !

You have to consider I'm 72 with lots of stories, some good and some tragic, about the North.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:53 by Laverda SF »
North Shore Lake Huron, Ontario Canada, home town Capreol just north of Sudbury Ontario. Presently living in Spanish.

The thing is: I loved to race and I'm still alive. Gotta say that 70 SFO 750 Breganzie is a racer.

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
« Reply #771 on: December 28, 2019, 11:35 »
JIM: Have you dropped any Bombs yet ?

I'm in Towoomba right now. Go out tomorrow to relocate some water!
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Lone Butte, British Columbia

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #772 on: December 28, 2019, 11:43 »
Had to google PBY. It means Patrol Bomber code Y. The code referring to the aircraft type, in this case Y = Consolidated Aircraft Catalina.
I don't think PB codes are used in Australia.

The working names were Canso and Catalina. Canso was the name for Canadian aircraft. One flown by RCAF Squadron Leader Birchall detected the Japanese fleet approaching Ceylon. May have been a different war in the Pacific if he had missed them.
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Offline Vince

« Reply #773 on: December 28, 2019, 12:03 »
If you watch the History channel on TV you mostly get the American story of WW2, a tiny bit of the Aussie perspective and buggar all of anyone else including the Canadian Story, some Europian theatre mention but nothing in the pacific I have seen. That Ceylon reference I haven't heard at all.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #774 on: December 28, 2019, 21:31 »
If you watch the History channel on TV you mostly get the American story of WW2, a tiny bit of the Aussie perspective and buggar all of anyone else including the Canadian Story, some Europian theatre mention but nothing in the pacific I have seen. That Ceylon reference I haven't heard at all.

I doubt you hear it much in Canada anymore. Used to be a big deal in highschool history class. That same fellow got shot down after he spotted the Japanese navy and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. If you read up on him he was a senior officer in many camps and repeatedly stood up to the Jap guards and repeatedly got beaten and put in solitairy. Probably saved a lot of lives doing that. Also was one of the longest serving Canadian Forces members ever ......... although he partially resigned in protest to the "Unification of the Forces" in 1967 when they made everyone wear the same uniform .......... shit green. All stuff I learned in highschool. My Uncle was a radar operator in Canso's based out of India and met him many times after the war. Sqn Ldr Birchall was a god to most serviceman!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Birchall

Sorry for my rant ......... I have to go kick a hippy now. Okay ...... no I won't.

Jim

74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #775 on: December 28, 2019, 22:44 »
Here's my Rant regarding the MNR:

Back then the Lands and Forest Ministry was effectively hiring volunteers and had government docks built in remote areas through out the north and used a fleet of PBY's - Today it's a revamped Ministry called the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources). Very expensive on the Tax dollar and run by people that know nothing about the north other then exploiting it for personal political gains and wealth.

A drunk native was said to have tripped on a plank of a remote Lands and Forest dock and drowned. Hence suing the Canadian Government causing the demise of the original Lands and Forest Act and the removal of all remote Gov't docks ?

I'm very familiar with the case as the incident happened on a Gov't dock very close to where I grew up.

Under the Lands and Forest Act, Game Wardens and Inspectors could only carry a long rifle just as Citizens. Under the MNR these young Game Wardens (POLICE) now carry Glocks in the Wilderness which are prohibited for Citizens.

RANT & RANT ;o)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 23:00 by Laverda SF »

Offline Vince

« Reply #776 on: December 29, 2019, 02:32 »
That Orange glow in the shy is back in Sydney, round 2 is about to start.

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #777 on: December 29, 2019, 03:44 »
Working out which way to go to Victoria, looks like the Newell, To Forbes, Griffith then Benalla through to Gippsland. Trying to get around fires and 40+ weather
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #778 on: December 29, 2019, 07:10 »
I'm in Towoomba right now. Go out tomorrow to relocate some water!

Riding around Toowoomba tomorrow, dont drop a bag full on me.
"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #779 on: December 29, 2019, 07:32 »
Working out which way to go to Victoria, looks like the Newell, To Forbes, Griffith then Benalla through to Gippsland. Trying to get around fires and 40+ weather

What date you comin down CK ?
Meet ya in the Neerim Sth beer garden on Thurs 2nd 🍻