Author Topic: Weather where you are?  (Read 60136 times)

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
Weather where you are?
« on: August 01, 2017, 18:45 »
Warm weather hitting central BC where the worst of the forest fires are ....... I'm on 3 days off from flying but it doesn't look good what I'll be coming back to ...... heat and wind is a bad combination!

The Prime Misiter stopped in to give a few words of condolence and to announce that the military will drag their feet in helping and that federal funds will be arriving as slow as molasses.  Then he left as he couldn't find any LGBT fire crew to pose for selfies with .....

http://globalnews.ca/news/3636411/b-c-wildfire-status-monday-more-than-426000-hectares-scorched-so-far/

I rode my Ducati Monster home ...... I rode through smoke and fire destruction for the first part of the journey. Many homes lost so far but much less than I expected ...... absolutely terrible fire conditions. I had a pass to get through the road closures but it didn't work when I got to the stretch of highway that was in the process of being burned over. Added 6 hours to my ride home when I had to backtrack. On the plus side ...... I was able to ride at 200+ kph for a few miles .......... absolutely zero traffic.

Stopped at a motel to see some flying buddies ..... the motel they are staying is covered in fire retardand dropped by the air tankers!

There was a gas station here a few weeks back ......

There are mountains in the background ..... you just can't see them for the smoke.

Four lane highway ....... no cars ..... no cops ...... no speed limit .....!!!!!!
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
Re: Weather where you are?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 20:20 »
Jim...how do you like the Monster? There is a 2002 Monster 900 for sale in Winnipeg with very low km for a reasonable price. Thought it may make a good "cafe" bike for shorter day trips. I am looking for something with a bit of personality, vs my Vstrom 1000 which has the personality of of  tupperware, but very good for my touring needs and on the rough pavement around here. My RGS Corsa restoration is going slower than planned dues to some challenges on the home front so I am missing a bike that gives you that "feeling." You seem to be using yours for touring so assume it is reasonably comfortable and okay range between gas stops (which can be few and far between on the back roads around here) ?? Is it a "fun" bike?

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:12 »
Your a really Sick Puppy Heli - Happy you have the youth, reliance and resources to enjoy Motorcycles well you can, because Stormy Weather and life can change expectations Vs Commitment .

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:30 by Laverda SF »

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55 »
Your a really Sick Puppy Heli - Happy you have the youth, reliance and resources to enjoy Motorcycles well you can, because Stormy Weather and life can change expectations Vs Commitment .

Thank you Ron! I'm glad you see 60 as applying to youth. I may grow old but I'll never grow up! Full speed ahead ..... hair straight back.
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:02 »
Jim...how do you like the Monster? There is a 2002 Monster 900 for sale in Winnipeg with very low km for a reasonable price. Thought it may make a good "cafe" bike for shorter day trips. I am looking for something with a bit of personality, vs my Vstrom 1000 which has the personality of of  tupperware, but very good for my touring needs and on the rough pavement around here. My RGS Corsa restoration is going slower than planned dues to some challenges on the home front so I am missing a bike that gives you that "feeling." You seem to be using yours for touring so assume it is reasonably comfortable and okay range between gas stops (which can be few and far between on the back roads around here) ?? Is it a "fun" bike?

I quite like it and it is ..... for me ...... a not so long distance rider. The 2002 is very much the same as mine (2000)and I have small saddle bags, tank bag and tail bag. I can easily load up for a week away from home but not camping gear. I also have 3 exhaust systems so I can change the looks and personality from time to time. It isn't great for long distance with the stock seat (the 1000 km the other day knackered me) but I used to have a Corbin seat and I could do all day on that seat. Mine also has fully adjustable Showas and Ohlins rear. I can play with the settings plus drop the forks and/or lift the rear up to really change the handling. It really does have some character! I like my Guzzi V11 better for long distance but I really have no complaint except for the stock seat. Now if I could njust track down the guy who borrowed my Corbin seat .......
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
  • the older I get, the faster a rider I used to be
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 19:05 »
fires in British Columbia keep getting bigger and closer to Alberta border, lots of smoke here in Calgary, poor air quality. Now the fires are licking at the edges of Banff National Park. Hotels are having to turn away tourists with reservations so as to accommodate fire crews. Highway's have been closed as fires encroach.

still hot here as well, only going up to 29 Celsius today, so a bit cooler, but still bloody hot and dry.

I have been avoiding riding west towards the mountains, no need to get in the way of fire crews and emnmergency services, and the smoke is really bothersome.

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
79 1200 Mirage, 82 1200 Mirage, 84 RGS Executive, and various non Laverda's

Offline helicopterjim

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 05:57 »
fires in British Columbia keep getting bigger and closer to Alberta border

Yep ........ the fire I'm on took a 3 kilometer run at Alberta ....... only another 800 to go.
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C

Offline Paul LeClair

• Administrator
  • the older I get, the faster a rider I used to be
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 19:04 »
been so hot and dry all summer Alberta is now experiencing water shortages and water useage bans, and the wild fires are still burning to the point where it smells like a campfire here, and is relly hazy and smoky. Bloody hell......

Paul LeClair
Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
79 1200 Mirage, 82 1200 Mirage, 84 RGS Executive, and various non Laverda's

Offline GregT

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 19:53 »
Paul, someone, somewhere must be getting the average of we two....Second flood in three weeks currently receding.
District wide state of emergency yesterday. Our property is still being pumped out from the first flood, water didn't get into the house but we're on septic tank waste disposal and the ground water level is high enough that's not working particularly well...
Roll on spring and summer - couple of farmers down the road have already got lambs.

Offline Grant

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 20:25 »
The average seems to be here.
Wednesday glorious sunshine, Thursday suddenly it's winter.
Check out my FB page, clublaverda.com

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39 »
A paddle steamer?  :o
You appear to be living in a time warp Grant.

Offline Grant

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:55 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Waverley

And it has a Laverda connection too.

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:34 »
Because it's a 120 triple?

Offline Grant

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02 »
No, because one of the guys in the PSPS is a Laverda owner.

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 13:06 »
Hey Grant isn't there a paddle steamer on Loch Lomond as well?
81 Jota*7604*