Author Topic: NALOC roll call thread.  (Read 12627 times)

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
Re: NALOC roll call thread.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27 »
Or we could just say sod it all and ride coast to coast together both ways

ALEX

Ok ......... you ride north to Vancouver ....... then we head east ......... then when we hit the Atlantic we go south (eating seafood as often as we like). We stop in to see PG's bike in Florida and then we head west from there. When we get to California we drink wine and when my hangover is gone ...... I can head north ...... or not.

Everyone else fills in the details of all the in between bits.
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline jotacorsa

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 16:05 »
At least we all ride motorbikes that can complete such a journey, not anymore certain my body can....

Kansas? Aren't those roads like Nebraska. all 90 degree corners around corn fields?

How about riding in the Rockies?

This is still the definitive book for Colorado https://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Riders-Guide-Motorcycle/dp/097189731X

I know Ed and Eric are in Colorado.
Not putting miles on your Laverda is like not having sex with your girl friend so she'll be more desirable to her next boy friend.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116081803601732579643/CustomerMachines

Offline 3C-Wayne

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 20:21 »
I'm in Northern NJ.

I'll be in (Clay's neighborhood) Fort Walton Beach, Fla May 2nd-4th for business so won't have my Laverda, but would be happy to meet any forum members if you care to stop by at the Holiday Inn on the beach.

Wayne 
1974 Laverda 3C

NJ USA

Offline angonemoto

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 20:21 »
Wow, nice turnout on the thread. I know that I will be heading out to pick up my triple from Scott this riding season. Plan for the moment is to use a van to go get it and the spares that have come off of it. That means I will be running out to Santa Fe NM area and back to Chicago. It also means I could stop anywhere in between and pull the bike out for a riding session. So that's out there as well. As you all know, the parts in between there are not as inspiring as other corners of the country to ride across, so I have another thought.

What I would like to propose is a little bragging contest on who has the best roads near where they live. I'm from Illinois so I lose right out of the box. The Rockies are outstanding and parts of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas are racetracks with very little side traffic or gravel. I've ridden around the badlands and through the Dakotas, which is ok and Montana is beautiful. Same with Idaho and Arizona.

So what do you guys say about your neck of the woods? If you have particular roads to ID for context, bring it.
angonemoto | 68 American Eagle 750 1401 | 74 750 SF2 16441 | 77 JARAMA 3CL 5906 | 78 R100 RS | 04 GAS GAS EC 300 | 84 KX125
We really should have a better President, right?

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 21:37 »
Riding in British Columbia ain't so bad ...... if you like twisty roads.

http://www.destinationhighways.com/dh/9SouthKootenays/1sum.htm
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Offline '71 SF

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 02:15 »
I agree with Scott's point on being able to do long rides. While I will probably get laughed at by the rest of the forum members my body can no longer do the milage like I did in my 20's. I think about the trip I did when I brought the SF into the country form Italy, Norfolk to Seattle ended up being more than 3,000 miles in a little more than 4 days (one leg was nearly 800 miles and 23 hours, and remember that the speed limit back then was 55). That trip today in a really nice rental car will take me 8-10 days (if I were ever to drive that far again, a Boeing 767 in first class is a much better way to make it happen  8) )

So today doing a few hundred miles is a long stretch on two wheels but like it has been pointed out trailering part of the trip would make it doable. Just need to have the roads that others would enjoy along with the inevitable drive. Along with the distance the weather and temperatures will have a large impact, no more snow for me!

There is always an open invitation when anyone of you comes near my part of the world, but our riding here is like what Ken pointed out, pretty flat. However, a couple hundred miles to the north and there are some great roads so making the trek would be part of the fun. The Talladega forrest and Cheahaw State park are incredible rides, and then the tail of the dragon is rated one of the best rides in the east.

Like Jim pointed out it is great that this thread is taking off, a good sign of things to come  ;D

Clay

Offline Richard

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 16:31 »
I'm still here in flyover land.

Minneapolis.

Richard Wiesner

612-723-9216

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 17:18 »
Phillip Gonzalez
Sunny South Florida (Miami)

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 18:28 »
I have an exciting and looong ride coming up next month with five local guys. I will be the only one on a Laverda btw. The bikes leave Miami on a trailer the 6th of May and we should all be in Yuma, Arizona by the 8th. I arrive on the 7th. On the morning of the 9th we all head west on our bikes to California for a ride around the Joshua Tree National Park. This should be an 8-10 hour ride and hopefully I will still have a back by the end of the day. We will spend the night in Temecula just about 100 miles west of the park.  Early morning on the 10th we are taking off due west in search of Pacific Coast Highway, also known as PCH. It's been 25 years since I left SoCal so this ride will bring back many many memories. Once on PCH we are heading South to San Ysidro where we will cross the border into Mexico!!  Órale Cabron!  Hopefully Trumps wall is not up by the time we return. Lol.  We continue South to Ensenada where will spend the night and get some rest. This should be a 6 hour ride more or less.  There we will have some Baja style fish tacos which are amazing and down a few drinks and maybe some tequila.  The next morning we are heading southeast to San Felipe where we will stay 2-3 nights.  We rented two Palapa's on the beach in San Felipe .  If you don't know what that is, it's a traditional Mexican sheltered roof with no exterior walls.  There we will spend the 2-3 nights.  This ride semi coincides with the Annual El Diablo Run.  It should be fun.  Anyone who wants to ride with us is welcomed to.  We all should be back in Yuma by the 15th and I will hopefully be back to work the 16th.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 18:39 by Shamrock »

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 18:37 »
sounds like a fun ride. I too traier my Laverda to far away destinations and the unload and ride. The only way to really enjoy roads in North America that are on the other side of the continent. Iwas in SoCal a year ago....the PCH is pretty slow and congested around San  Diego but  the bars, beers and broads are great. Enjoy the ride and and good on you for taking  a Laverda to ride.

Offline 19753C(E)

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 18:48 »
John McCron
Crawfordville, Florida - just south of Tallahassee
johnmccron@gmail.com

The roads in Florida are hopeless - don't bother.  For me it's the alphabet roads in Southern Wisconsin...twists, turns, hills, brats and beer. 
Nuf said.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 18:54 by 19753C(E) »
"I'd rather be shot from a cannon than squeezed from a tube.  That's why god invented motorcycles." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline peterc

• Cape Cod
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 00:35 »
Peter Corkeron
Falmouth MA.

If anyone ever gets to Cape Cod.
where did all those dead Italian bikes come from?

Offline Mozz

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 02:25 »
John Morris

Toronto - Ontario

Made it as far as MotoBlot, Chicago 2yrs ago, road was sh1t all the way
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:29 by Mozz »
RGA Jota Sprint - 2262

Offline angonemoto

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 16:26 »
Yes, the Chicago area is dreadful. Our neighbors to the north call us Flatlanders.
I have two "big" rides this summer. One is solo to retrieve my triple from Scott in New Mexico. I'm going out by van, and don't really have a pan for the route back. I figure I will take a day to ride it around the Taos area, then load it up and get it home. That timeline is TBD, but I will keep you posted.

The second trip is in September, a week or 2 after Labor Day. Myself and 3-4 others will leave from Chicago, head south into the Missouri/Arkansas border area and we will make basecamp in a cabin in Jasper, AR. From there we will ride around on those twisties for a 2-3 days. Then head up to southwest Wisconsin to ride the letter roads up there and meet up with about 40-50 vintage motorcyle folk for the weekend. Most of them are from Chicago and Milwaukee. The basecamp there is in Boscobel, WI. We hang out there for the weekend, then head back to Chicago.

If anyone is within range of those parts of the county during those times of the year let me know, it would be great to coordinate a way meet you.

Best,
Bob
angonemoto | 68 American Eagle 750 1401 | 74 750 SF2 16441 | 77 JARAMA 3CL 5906 | 78 R100 RS | 04 GAS GAS EC 300 | 84 KX125
We really should have a better President, right?

Offline henrywillms

• my corsa with exec bits
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 16:56 »
Both great riding areas. I have not been to Arkansas but I know it has great roads for motorcycles and I plan to get  there one day. As to Wisconin, I am pretty familiar with that area. The county Alphabet roads are great for playing on, but some are getting a bit rough for the old Laverda suspension. No problem though the next one will be smooth. Watch for sand and gravel in the corners especially at the bottom of hills and at intersections.  I like the area north of where you are staying for  riding.  And if you go through the Amish/Mennonite areas watch for horse shit on the roads.  As well I slow right down and idle past the horse and buggy so I dont  startle the horses.