Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 171848 times)

Offline cbertozz

Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #2025 on: March 14, 2019, 10:59 »
Ye seems to run fine, thanks. Going to see if I can get some mikunis anyway.

Dellorto can go into Storage
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #2026 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19 »
Ye seems to run fine, thanks. Going to see if I can get some mikunis anyway.

Dellorto can go into Storage

Be one of the best you would have done to that bike  ;) especially for the track !

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #2027 on: March 14, 2019, 12:53 »
Going to see if I can get some mikunis anyway.

Better check and see if allowable in the class you wish to race. Period 4 is roundslide Keihins (or originals). Period 5 they don't seem to care. Or try and sweet talk the scrutineer, eh.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:56 by Davo »
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2028 on: March 14, 2019, 13:59 »
Better check and see if allowable in the class you wish to race. Period 4 is roundslide Keihins (or originals). Period 5 they don't seem to care. Or try and sweet talk the scrutineer, eh.  :laugh:

So first are Carbs a major component? Do they fall under a)?

Major components are:
a) All engine and gearbox external castings,
b) Frames,
c) Swingarms,
d) Brakes,
e) Forks and fork yokes.

Then could slip in under this one..

Major components that were manufactured outside a specific period, but which are visually indistinguishable when assembled from period components shall be eligible for that period.

Or

Modifications to major components are allowed, providing such modifications are visually indistinguishable from modifications proven to have been used in the period.

Or if not...

Minor components may be modified or updated, provided that they remain visually compatible with the period being depicted.

Mikuni launched in 1923 but would be interesting to know when they started selling this type?

My biggest issue the log-book which need to be resubmitted, so no points for me  :laugh:
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Davo

« Reply #2029 on: March 14, 2019, 14:26 »
http://www.ma.org.au/licences-rules/rules/general-competition-rules/

It is all in here if you are at all interested.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline Tippie

« Reply #2030 on: March 14, 2019, 14:27 »
Ask the club tech bloke if you intend to race it. They banned my carbs in Class 7A here (not sure what that equates to there build year 74-79) altered the rules from "Carburettors free choice, no fuel injection" to "Carbs of a type available in the period" (at the request of the Finns apparently), after over a decade my using them. Well my FCRs are flatslide, and flatslides of various types were around at the time, I havent been disqualified yet despite my occasional podium. My club tech bloke said just keep using them. Disputes with the officials can really stuff up your racing much more than a blinking neutral light. Find out first.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2031 on: March 14, 2019, 15:27 »
Yes its a great way to put yourself in a bad mood and spoil your day!
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2032 on: March 14, 2019, 23:15 »
I built my P5 race bike with Mikuni RS flat slide carbs. I declared them when I applied for the log book and nobody said I couldn't use them. The log book was issued without a problem.

They're not specifically prohibited under the rules, so I don't reckon the scrutineers will give you a hard time. But if someone were to protest your use of them then the protest may be upheld on the basis of them not being 'of a type available during the period'. I think Mikuni RS carbs were first produced in about 1988, while P5 is up to the end of 1982.

I doubt anyone will bother to protest unless you're cleaning up all the races, which is unlikely on a Laverda when you're up against hotted-up CB 900s and Katanas. Some of those old Jap bikes are cranking out 150 HP at the rear wheel. If your bike is pretty much the normal Jota state of tune, it'll be around 80 RWHP

Offline Davo

« Reply #2033 on: March 14, 2019, 23:53 »
As I posted above, P4 carb upgrade is allowed to 33mm keihin roundslides only, P5 they don't seem to care.

Just thought it might be a good idea to check before spending a heap of dosh and then finding out you can't use them for racing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 23:59 by Davo »
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline maurice turner

« Reply #2034 on: March 15, 2019, 01:34 »
That's an interesting point my racebike based on a (1983) RGS  is P5 it has RS 36 flatslides and got logbooked OK but I tried with 300mm floating front rotors and no way, that post classic scene can be very subjective.
81 Jota*7604*

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2035 on: March 15, 2019, 02:00 »
http://www.ma.org.au/licences-rules/rules/general-competition-rules/

It is all in here if you are at all interested.

Yep believe it or not I have read it all and its unclear to me. I have asked the club to give me an indication. They are unlikely to stop you racing but points wont count and Suellyn will lecture you like a school child.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2019, 02:47 »
Suellyn will lecture you like a school child.

Ooh, does she do spanking as well? Some people will pay for that sort of thing.

I wrote to MA to ask if I could use a carbon fibre tank and seat unit in P5, and they said no. I'd already bought the CF stuff from Boba, so I installed it on the bike anyway. I just painted it so nobody could tell what it was made of. Scrutineer only had to look at the underside of the seat, but he didn't care about that sort of thing. He was only interested in safety stuff like lock-wiring, chain guards, helmet, leathers, etc.

Offline Davo

« Reply #2037 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02 »
Ooh, does she do spanking as well? Some people will pay for that sort of thing.

I wrote to MA to ask if I could use a carbon fibre tank and seat unit in P5, and they said no. I'd already bought the CF stuff from Boba, so I installed it on the bike anyway. I just painted it so nobody could tell what it was made of. Scrutineer only had to look at the underside of the seat, but he didn't care about that sort of thing. He was only interested in safety stuff like lock-wiring, chain guards, helmet, leathers, etc.

9.20.3.6 The use of carbon fibre and Kevlar
materials, and other materials presented
as having the appearance of carbon fibre
with the exception of Period 5 two-stroke
exhaust systems only.

So as long as it is painted is OK. I know quite a few folk using CF but painted to meet the rule.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint

Offline Tippie

« Reply #2038 on: March 15, 2019, 07:01 »
" presented
as having the appearance of carbon fibre,"
Looks are everything. Someone even suggested I could attach some alloy tubes over my FCRs  ;D
Here they are much stricter with the newer classes, Classic Superbike and Supersport, 80 - 87 classes with fully faired what we call "modern" bikes. Pepole are getting shut out for the wrong seat unit with some minor change from the previouse unobtainable one that none but the most dedicated rivet counter could pick. They leave these 96 1100 Gutsie motors (with the square fins crudely rounded off with an angle grinder - the class winner even just left them on last year) in my pre 79 class because they are struggling to get participants in the older classic classes. 
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #2039 on: March 15, 2019, 11:05 »
Ye I'm getting them anyway.

Finally put some.Brembo Carbon Ceramic pads in, promising so far. Also replaced the dust covers and bleed nipple covers that had gone AWOL. New MC much better after being properly bled.
1978 Laverda Jota #6041