Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 354376 times)

Offline cbertozz

Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #3480 on: September 28, 2020, 12:07 »
Battery starting to struggle. Have two shorai but both are on the way out. No coming back from the dead this time. So starting to hunt for a replacement.

At the same time need to sort out the tank and get the steel one painted. Just a small trip to the northern beaches required to get that started.

Bike running so much better through the rev range now. Fuel consumption doesnt seem thy different, did 95km and put in 8.4litres.

Nipped the steering head up a tiny bit today and felt nice and connected. Looking forward to trying some gnarlier road to test the whole set up but early indications are good (have said that before).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:16 by cbertozz »
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline martymoose

« Reply #3481 on: September 30, 2020, 10:27 »
Paul im struggling to work out which part is 180 degrees out.  Support is flat steel, angle is in the cases. Support bolts to the cases where the adjuster would have threaded in.   A bent support would bring the angle down flatter so the cable was a straight run from the support through the adjuster to the nipple.  I think the cable will be fine, seen worse
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #3482 on: September 30, 2020, 10:32 »
I think what Paul is referring to is that the cable appears to bend sideways where it exits the adjuster. Actually bends towards the front of the bike.
Looks like the link plate that attaches to the top of the clutch arm needs to be on the rear side of the arm rather than the front side.

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #3483 on: September 30, 2020, 11:01 »
Paul im struggling to work out which part is 180 degrees out.  Support is flat steel, angle is in the cases. Support bolts to the cases where the adjuster would have threaded in.   A bent support would bring the angle down flatter so the cable was a straight run from the support through the adjuster to the nipple.  I think the cable will be fine, seen worse

I think that I'm wrong with the 180, can't make it to the garage to check on mine but that the plate the end of the cable screws into needs to be bent back, the cable appears to be angled downwards too much.

Paul

Offline Tippie

« Reply #3484 on: September 30, 2020, 11:24 »
Yes Paul. On the kit I recently mounted the plate that the cable adjuster goes through was not flat, and correctly fitted it lined up the adjuster piece so that it pointed directly to the connector at the top of the lever arm. It is possible that the one in the pic is either flat, or put on the wrong way around, as it does look like the cable adjuster points down too low and will eventually rub through the inner cable.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Vince

« Reply #3485 on: September 30, 2020, 11:33 »
Might have an effect on how much threaded adjustment is needed.

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #3486 on: October 01, 2020, 00:29 »
This thread just keeps Rambling !

I like to check on it occasionally ;o)

If you are interested in PC rambling? I recommend Buildziod: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

and

Gamers Nexus: https://www.youtube.com/user/GamersNexus

RON
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 00:41 by Laverda SF »
North Shore Lake Huron, Ontario Canada, home town Capreol just north of Sudbury Ontario. Presently living in Spanish.

I cannot list the motorcycles I've worked on or ridden - Just too many.

The thing is: I loved to race and I'm still alive. Gotta say that 70 SFO 750 Breganzie is a racer.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #3487 on: October 01, 2020, 07:50 »
Hello Ron  :laugh:
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #3488 on: October 01, 2020, 07:54 »
So having destroyed my iPhone 11 Pro camera twice using a Quadlock mount I complained to Quadlock and they told me they were planning to develop an accessory to protect phones from the vibrations some bikes generate. I was invited to be part of a beta testing program but never did join.

Anyway didnt think much about it until I decided to see if they ever made it. Turns out they did and when I hit their site I put my email in to get the usual 10% discount for being spammed forever. Then when looking for the email with my code I discovered they had a while back sent me a code for a complementary vibration dampener so it was completely free (and apple fixed the phone under warranty)

Nice work Quadlock

[/youtube]
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Laverdalothar

« Reply #3489 on: October 01, 2020, 07:58 »
No real world testing without using a Laverda or a Harley...  :-*

Great development though! the comparison of the two mobiles, one with and one without the vibration dampener is impressive. Do they develop something similar for mirrors, too? THAT would be something...  ;D
750 SF(0) 1971 #9934 *sold*
1000 SFC Classic 1989 #3367 *sold*
1000 SFC 1985 #2934 currently under restoration
1000 SFC Preproduction bike 1985 #0001 *sold*
1200 Jota 1981 #7474
750 S-Formula 2000 #1602
1000 Motoplast - currently under construction

Offline Vince

« Reply #3490 on: October 01, 2020, 08:14 »
I cut a strip of inner tube rubber and wrapped it around the handlebar Ram mount to dampen the vibes, so far its worked eg no broken phone. I have mirrors bolted to my SS bevel fairing, originally they vibrated so bad you couldn't see the difference between a bus and a taxi. I drilled all the holes bigger and added rubber grommets and it 100% better making the mirrors much clearer. Bit time consuming but well worth these little jobs.

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #3491 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24 »
Why would you want the phone on the handlebars anyway?  Bloody pesky things are intrusive enough into my life so I'd rather leave it in my pocket. Or better still, turn the bloody thing off and put it in a pannier. Only pull it out for emergencies.

Offline Vince

« Reply #3492 on: October 01, 2020, 08:41 »
I use mine for the Speed, Red light that also do speed and now mobile phone and probably speed detection cameras that are multiplying like weeds all over Sydney.
Yes I know the local ones and yes there are signs but even then its so easy to forget and get NAILED. BTW I don't ride like an idiot but I do use the 5 and 10k over rule that keeps me slightly faster than a static target and make me be noticed and not crashed into. Thats worked for the past 40 years and will continue too and buggar the stupid cameras and there hair trigger fines for doing this.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #3493 on: October 01, 2020, 10:26 »
I need it for when Marty & Brett take us  off to Itchycoo park.

Shiny new hose arrives today.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:39 by cbertozz »
1978 Laverda Jota #6041

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #3494 on: October 02, 2020, 00:36 »
That Quadlock system is clever and I'm impressed that they've gone to the trouble to do it properly.

I just finalised the mounting of my Ignitech box on the SFQ - very wary of vibes (I'm vibe insulating practically everything on this build!) I bought some heat insulating foam tube, 50mm ID and 10mm wall - the Ingi box pushes firmly inside that and velcros to the rear end of the mudguard just fwd of the frame tubeU-bend under either SFC seat or double SF seat. I thought about silent blocks and grommets, but they're bulkier and i reckon this is as good an insulator as I can get. Three relays are being mounted on a simple reinforced rubber 'strap' that bolts close to the fuse box.
What ... leave it standard??!!