Author Topic: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)  (Read 354371 times)

Offline Legs

Re: Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)
« Reply #3450 on: September 24, 2020, 05:52 »
Crikey :o

Offline chrisk

• I'd like to write something here: SOMETHING
« Reply #3451 on: September 24, 2020, 06:46 »
Crikey

170 ???

170 ???

188 :o

"Team BFN - an international rabble on wheels"🏍🍻👍🤣😍

Offline motoddrob

« Reply #3452 on: September 24, 2020, 06:48 »
didn't know you were running methanol!! ;D
Motodd 1200, SFC750

Offline Vince

« Reply #3453 on: September 24, 2020, 07:38 »
Were you running one of those Elf racing fuels? With those mains and your 17-litre carbon tank no wounder your range was short.

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #3454 on: September 24, 2020, 08:14 »
If you had of been riding up the front of the mob..... Im sure it would of been picked up a lot earlier than now  ::)
Anyone behind you would certainly have a bad case of stinging/watering eye  :o
Economy should improve as Vince alludes to.

Offline Tippie

« Reply #3455 on: September 24, 2020, 08:36 »
I don't understand?? Why would jets set up for racing not function on the road? Haven't you been blasting all over the countryside on your fab Jota since you headed east - with no mention of crap running? Nevertheless, excellent to hear that the lads have got the beast purring. Just curios ....
They would function just the same. I thought that this bike had been on a dyno, and full throttle work is usually the main reason for using a dyno, to avoid a bike in the crusher and no licence. There is no way a street motor like this could need that size main jets. But then again we keep seeing people change main jets when trying to get their bike to idle better.
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Cosi

« Reply #3456 on: September 24, 2020, 09:05 »
Crystal meth maybe...
Hastings Point 2489 Australia

Offline CLEMTOG

« Reply #3457 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20 »
it was confirmed a long time ago, by a highly skilled formula 1 engine builder, using temperature recording stickers, that the centre cylinder does not run hotter than the other two, so no need for a larger main jet if the 188 was in the centre carb, but 170/188 is not the largest that I have heard of, which was 240, and that bike did not have a 44mm headers, three into one open mega, 12.5:1 pistons and 38mm carbs!

roll over the last of the Mancunian North American Indians!

CLEM

Offline martymoose

« Reply #3458 on: September 24, 2020, 11:14 »
Bloody hell Carlo no wonder those plugs where foulled
Cheers from sunny Sydney

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #3459 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22 »
I knew that would raise an eyebrow or two  :o

Anyway all good now expect woke up this morning with a puncture and getting that fixed took up any spare time I had today.

Found some time before dinner and decided to fit the chain guard again as Marty mentions it every time we ride. By the time I went to fit the wheel its getting dark and I failed spectacularly to get it back on, caliper was tricky with the extra spacer. Try again fresh in the morning.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:24 by cbertozz »
1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #3460 on: September 25, 2020, 01:44 »
Is it just me, or are the holes in all three of those jets completely different?? The middle one looks like it's burred in some way for a start. And as for running massive main jets, depending on the needles it's running you can literally remove the main jets and once over a certain main jet size, it will make zero difference. If the ratio of needle-tip-area-to needle-jet-open-area is smaller than the open area of the main jet you've reached the max available fuel delivery. Lee and I had to fit different needle profiles to our SFC'd motors to get correct full throttle jetting on the dyno (from K2 to K4 from memory).

Having said that, I doubt Carlo's bike would run clean on full throttle with the mains removed. Astonishing find!!
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Legs

« Reply #3461 on: September 25, 2020, 01:55 »
Can't believe how butchered those jets are :o

Offline hooksey

• I See Orange !
« Reply #3462 on: September 25, 2020, 02:03 »
Can't believe how butchered those jets are :o

Yes Tezz, apart from screw slot, looks to be some sort of electrolysis happening  :o

Offline Vince

« Reply #3463 on: September 25, 2020, 02:29 »
My first thought was maybe they had been soldered or epoxed up and redrilled smaller. Bet your happy it was found and fkxed.BTW my Laptop has died again so its back to the phone.Thats Cams ignision tuning Laptop.Time to scrap up the pennys and buy one that runs for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #3464 on: September 25, 2020, 03:19 »
Thats Cams ignision tuning Laptop

Blimey. That old Dell Latitude would be a bit of a dinosaur to use for web browsing. I only ever use mine for connecting to Ignitech ignition units.
Do you know what's wrong with the laptop? If it's a crashed hard disk I might be able to help. I have another Dell Latitude D620 here that doesn't work, but I kept it for spare parts. I think it has a dodgy motherboard but the hard disk is OK.

If you're in the market for a new computer, ask yourself if you really need a laptop.

For my main computer at home, I gave up on laptops and bought a desktop with a tower case and separate monitor & keyboard. You get more performance per dollar, a bigger monitor, better keyboard, and it's easier and cheaper to fix if something goes belly-up. Only thing against it is that it isn't portable, but I've found that not to be a problem. I can use my phone if I need web access or email when I'm away from home.

If I wanted to buy a laptop with the same performance as my desktop, I'd be looking at double the price.