Author Topic: Gravity is not your friend  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Vince

Re: Gravity is not your friend
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2020, 01:28 »
I vividly remember the first time I aquaplaned a car. It was also a T intersection close to home and I was driving the Family Biscuit coloured Stationwaggon with cross-plys fitted. I was 18 and managed to get off the brakes and back on them and not rear-end the car stopped in front, very very close though. Scared me GOOD, and I learning a great lesson about lack of adhesion in the wet. Wouldnt skidpan testing be a good idea for COCKY learners who think they're way better than they are before they do learn the hard way. Older COCKY drivers as well.

Offline Legs

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2020, 04:09 »
A while ago Cam Donald (TT rider) wrote an article in the now defunct 'Motorcycle Trader magazine concerning rider aids. He was commissioned by BMW to acquaint prospect owners with the the latest and greatest BMW sports bikes on a closed circuit. Part of the acquaint involved riding the bikes with all the rider aids in different configurations including 'off'. He noted that most of the riders had become so used to the electronic gizmos that they could not ride safely with the bike in the off or 'track' mode.

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2020, 13:06 »
A while ago Cam Donald (TT rider) wrote an article in the now defunct 'Motorcycle Trader magazine concerning rider aids. He was commissioned by BMW to acquaint prospect owners with the the latest and greatest BMW sports bikes on a closed circuit. Part of the acquaint involved riding the bikes with all the rider aids in different configurations including 'off'. He noted that most of the riders had become so used to the electronic gizmos that they could not ride safely with the bike in the off or 'track' mode.

That is off course also true if you're used to wearing glasses.
Once you're used to them.

Paul

Offline sfcpiet

• Administrator
  • NRW, Germany
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2020, 16:02 »
That is off course also true if you're used to wearing glasses.
Once you're used to them.

Paul

So you're comparing a physical with a psychic deficiancy? ::)

piet
180s feel quick, 120s are...      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics"  Georg Fitch 1916

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2020, 16:09 »
So you're comparing a physical with a psychic deficiancy? ::)

piet

No, I'm comparing two identical learning procedures and how once learnt, they are very hard to undo. I should have specified, for glass wearers who can get by without but for whom it would require an important effort.

If you prefer, it's like scoffing because today no car driver could cope without power steering or power assisted brakes.
We can do without.

Paul

Offline Legs

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2020, 23:03 »
The point Cam Donald was making is that a lot of 'modern' riders rely on the electronics not to crash instead of rider skills. Suppose the same can be said about modern cars!

Online Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2020, 01:06 »
I don't like modern cars that do everything for you. Auto transmission, automatic headlights and wipers, all sorts of safety overrides if you fuck up, like ABS, traction control, lane assist, automatic braking (AEB). All that stuff pretty much turns the driver into a passenger.

I enjoy driving, so I like to actually drive the car myself. My car has a manual transmission and no fancy electronics. It does have a "ding-dong" reminder to tell you that you've left the lights on or the keys in the ignition, but it gives me the shits. I feel like I'm being nagged by my fucking car.

There was a rear end crash at traffic lights here a while back that I read about in the local RAC(Tas) magazine that I find in the letterbox every month. Some bimbo with a fancy car (Lexus I think) got into the habit of not using her brakes when coming up behind a stationary vehicle at the traffic lights. She'd just do nothing and let the automatic braking take care of it. One day the system failed.

Offline Legs

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2020, 02:07 »
One day the system failed
And that is the whole point of the discussion IMHO

Offline Tippie

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2020, 06:52 »
But it is here to stay. Eventually the manual override will disappear too and you won't be allowed to drive it at all. Just where will motorbikes fit in?
SF2 17483 (race)
SF2 17424 (road)
An Australian living near Oslo in Norway

Offline Exmoor beast

• Dont come in Im on the Lav
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2020, 20:06 »
I had a conversation with a bod who was explaining to me that electric self drive cars will solve congestion by driving nose to tail with only a small gap between them ,enabling many more cars to travel on a given road. What a great idea, I said, youve just invented the train!
Laverda GT750 69
Guzzi 1000s, Nuovo Falcone, Centauro
Moto Morini 350GT
Cagiva Elefant

Offline Paul Marx

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2020, 21:57 »
The point Cam Donald was making is that a lot of 'modern' riders rely on the electronics not to crash instead of rider skills. Suppose the same can be said about modern cars!

Of course, but when applied to a few billion humans zooming around, driving or riding aids are much safer, statistically speaking.

There is a French saying about looking in the wrong end of the telescope. Think big.

Paul