Author Topic: Harsh Cer Forks.  (Read 28930 times)

Offline Brett

Re: Harsh Cer Forks.
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58 »
3C still has its Ceriani's no issues here  :o

Sitting on the fence 120 or 180 that is the question ?

Davo

« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2018, 08:08 »
3C still has its Ceriani's no issues here  :o

The original Cerianis were great shocks in their day, as were the Konis. Times have moved on. Hmmm, just thought about that, Laverda's were leading edge in their day as well...

Offline Piranha Brother 2

• It was once a 1973 750 SF1
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2018, 22:04 »
I've bitten the bullet and gone a pair of top-line Nitrons from DAM Laverda. Like Ohlins, they are far from cheap, but are the bees knees. I figured i won't be doing any more custom builds on this bike, so I finally want to finish what i started two or three decades ago right.

Very much looking fwd to reporting back on them ...
What ... leave it standard??!!

Offline Vince

« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2018, 23:52 »
Me too, how far off are you. I would love a topend pair of shocks, they if tuned right they just perform but most are at least $1500 and more.

Offline Laverda SF

« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2018, 00:18 »
All Cerriana Forks are HARSH  - Just gotta live with it !

Offline Dellortoman

• My wolf mate 6/5/1996 - 3/1/2011
« Reply #245 on: November 15, 2018, 00:49 »
When I put a pair of YSS shocks (replacing the Marzocchi Stradas) on the back of my MHR a few years ago, they made a big difference. The bike was a lot more comfortable to ride and the rear wheel actually stayed in contact with the road over bumps. I could get off the bike after an hour of riding without feeling like I'd been kicked in the arse a thousand times.

« Reply #246 on: November 15, 2018, 08:37 »
My 35mm Cerianis were a brilliant road fork for the era. Definitely not harsh if set up well and I think they even had bushes of some sort so stiction was not bad.
My build is a combo of waiting game getting work done externally and lack of time doing stuff myself. Been waiting nearly 4 weeks for a fairly simple machining job. Thought Id go local rather than travel far for trusted sources. Should have known better!
Unfortunately Vince any good stuff costs a lot, eg Carillos, but you get what you pay for. The only thing I can save on is labour.

Davo

« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2018, 07:46 »
When I put a pair of YSS shocks (replacing the Marzocchi Stradas) on the back of my MHR a few years ago, they made a big difference. The bike was a lot more comfortable to ride and the rear wheel actually stayed in contact with the road over bumps. I could get off the bike after an hour of riding without feeling like I'd been kicked in the arse a thousand times.

Marzocchi Stradas. May as well put in a piece of solid steel. Had them on the Le Mans, even the Ikon replacements feel better.

« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2018, 12:20 »
Marzocchi Stradas. May as well put in a piece of solid steel. Had them on the Le Mans, even the Ikon replacements feel better.
Don't think I've ever heard a good word said about them either. The SF1 I worked on had them and they were shocking  ;D

When they're not leaking they're rupturing your spleen!

Offline helicopterjim

• No shit, there I was - and the crack was 90!
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2018, 16:56 »

The concept of changing the spring rate hadn't made it to your part of the world?
74 SFC
72 SF
74 3C
75 3C
79 (81) Formula Mirage 1200
Various Ducati's, Guzzi's, Puch's ... a BSA Sloper and maybe even an R90
I don't have a 1977 Honda XL 175 but I do have a Chang Jiang CJ750 with a sidecar.

Chilliwack, British Columbia

Davo

« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2018, 02:28 »
The concept of changing the spring rate hadn't made it to your part of the world?

I did exactly that. Threw the fuckers in the bin and put on Ikons. They were going in the bin anyway as it was found that the mounting ring on the left hand shock had around 1/3 of its circumference missing when the rear end was pulled off the bike so that the leaking rear crankshaft seal could be replaced. Just one of the many unpleasant surprises that came with the bike, now all fixed. All combined turned a reasonably priced purchase into an expensive exercise in repairing a death trap on wheels.

Offline Vince

« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2019, 03:17 »
Had a shocker of a ride on Sunday, we went up The Bells Line of Road and even the new 2 lane bits were unpleasant, cer forks on the 3c kicking off bumps and it one point shimmying across the road on multiple bumps. So today I went back to 15wt fork oil at 140mm.
My experiment at using 180mm didnt appear to work, dampers were covered with oil but not compliant at all at the higher level. With the new oil, it feels very compliant bouncing the bike. We will see next ride.

Offline cbertozz

« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2019, 04:30 »
Awwww I missed this thread...😗

The new tubes on my Ceriani have improved life.

Have been playing around with Sportsvalve rebound and I can dial out all the bounce but it's a bit harsh whichever way I go.

So as the springs seem short (theres a six inch spacer pipe to get to the top of the tube) and only two washers as preload adjustment (plus the bottom of the caps), I've added another couple just to see if it takes the spring into a working range that is better.

1978 Laverda Jota #6041
First owned in 1991, reacquired 2016.

Offline Vince

« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2019, 04:47 »
Mine is the same except its got 5 washers to get to a good sag distance of 35ish mm. That's with a 9.5 spring. Me at 125kg as well. We can not compare valve adjustments obviously, mines a Race Tech and yours in that NZ one.

Offline Vince

« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2019, 05:00 »
BTW it was bloody windy in places where you suddenly appear on an open ridgeline, maybe that was some of the instability.