Author Topic: Importing a Bike  (Read 11597 times)

Offline jotajoe

• Love the Jota
Re: Importing a Bike
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 15:57 »
Thanks Grant, no problems with cleaning etc, and assuming the correct wood is used to meet quarantine rules. My question was more about the structural integrity of the crate, what would you recommend,  ie wood or steel?

Thanks

I work in Export Packaging .

For Australia or China,

Use a plywood case, make the framing from plywood and the bearers from composite particle type board. Use hold down D rings and ratchet straps to hold the bike down to the base. Screw the sides and ends and lid on with decent screws.

Here is some information from AU Govt site.:-

"What wood packaging material does ISPM 15 apply to?"

ISPM 15 can be applied to any solid wood packaging material. The following products are exempt: wood packaging made wholly of wood-based products such as plywood and veneer, reconstituted wood products (particle board, chipboard, hardboard (masonite) oriented strand board, high density fibre board, and medium density fibre board) or products created using glue, heat and pressure or a combination of these.

If I was shipping a bike to Australia I would remove the Wheels and mudguard and steam clean them off the bike until they gleam .I would ensure they are very dry and  I would leave them bagged and off the bike in transit inside the case. I would not want Government operatives  causing massive damage to a bike for the sake of a couple of hours work. The case would also be smaller which may save on shipping costs .

Joe
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 16:04 by jotajoe »
Jotajoe

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 11:36 »
my best advice for Australia, is having a mate work in customs, who has a mate work in quarantine !!

back in '85, ...

... and no farken goods & services tax.   :D

Could well be because "back in '85" there was no farken GST. Was brought in by the Teflon Kid in 2000, after having told the electorate we would never have one.
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Davo

• West of the Rabbit Proof Fence
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 11:42 »

My question is: If I wanted to import a registered motorcycle from the US would I be liable to the taxes if I asked the seller to dismantle it - so that it became a CKD kit (completely knocked down)

Andy

Yes

www.customs.gov.au/site/content2304.asp
1976 3CL Redaxed
Triumph Sprint
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III 850 Stucchi
Honda V Twin Fastrak hustler

Offline Grant

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 09:26 »
I thought I would bring this back to the top of the page in case anyone hadn't seen it.
Since it was written maybe the rules have changed, I'm thinking of Australia here and asbestos removal, but it is still agood guide nd cuts through a lot of the BS often spoken about importing.
www.clublaverda.com
Check out the daily blog

Offline oldorange

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 21:27 »
Bumping this one up. Has anyone imported a bike from Canada to the US recently?
"a gnat's nudger from a tart's clutchie"

Offline earemike

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2019, 11:11 »
Brought two 850 Guzzi’s into Australia recently, major paranoia over asbestos - they can detain at my expense but supporting evidence helped get them through.

Over 5 grand in fees set me on my arse.

Be worth it when I get one on the road 😬